Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys me again. I found the answer to my last question to which everything is okay. However looking at my new 444 Ultralite further I've noticed that the barrel is slightly canted to the right (if you're looking down the sights). It's very very slight, so much so that I didn't notice at the store. When looking at where the barrel attaches to the frame you can see where the bottom right is slightly rotated to the left while the top left is slightly rotated towards the right. Anyone know if the ultralite normally as a slight cant to the barrel? I'm not sure how big of a deal it is since technically the barrel is an insert. I'm taking it back into the store where I bought it tomorrow to see what they have to say about it but unfortunately all sales are final so if it needs to be fixed it will have to be under warranty.

I took photos but the was two problems. One I couldn't get them to upload from my iPad and two since the canting is so slight it didn't show up in photos.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just got off the phone with Taurus CS. They suggested that I shoot the gun and see if accuracy is effected. Even if it isn't though should I really be okay with a canted barrel? I know, even if it's slight, I'm so OCD that it would bug me. Or would Taurus just take it and do an accuracy test of their own and, if it turned out fine, send it back to me unfixed it anyway?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I also have the same issue, but not on a Taurus. This is on a s&w model 686. I emailed Smith and they stated this is normal to be canted, that they "zero" the barrel to the frame and sometimes that means over torquing the barrel slightly.... He basically said if it shoots to point if aim it's fine. I think Tuarus will probably give you the same basic answer but am curious to find out. I'm in the same boat as you. OCD and it bothers me, but it does shoot exactly where I want it to so I just deal with it... Here are pics below, is ours this bad?

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looking at yours maybe canted wasn't the right word for what I'm seeing? Mine is more twisted or rotated. If you're looking down the sights it's very slightly rotated to the right. The top of my front sight is not level with the top of my rear sights. It's very minuscule but it's there. It's easier to tell when looking at where the barrel attached to the frame. You can see how the barrel is twisted in relation to the frame. I wish I could figure out how to post images from my iPad on here.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I posted these from my ipad. Could only do so recently though. Posted just like I was on a computer. I think it may be from the most recent IOS update.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Basically the barrel is aligned with everything but its rotated very slightly clockwise (if you're looking down the sights).

·
Registered
70 Posts
I honestly don't think that's enough to worry about. I'd shoot it and see. Lets see what others think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey thanks for the responses. I'll shoot it and if it ends up being a cosmetic thing ill get over it. I'm thinking it will be fine since its so slight but if not I guess the lifetime warranty will be nice :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been reading some of the same issues on s&w and ruger forums. It appears to be a common (or at least well known) issue with revolvers (I'm a semi auto guy, had no idea). Some have sent their pistols back which shot POA before but didn't when they got t back. Others reported it being indexed improperly the other way after being "fixed." While others just kept it since the gun functioned fine and shot straight. I think that is the route ill go. If it bugs me too much ill send it in. It sounds like a pretty straight forward fix for Taurus should I decide to send it in, just twist the barrel the other direction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts