Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well I purchased the silver version about two months ago. I spent a a good bit of time shooting it about 3 weeks ago. I was only able to fire 50 rounds of WW White Box 44 Magnum 240 JSP's through it, before my hand felt like it was going to fall off. Accuracy was very good, but got progressively worse throughout the shooting session, due to me starting to flinch. Mind you, it wasn't the gun's fault.

The only issue that I had with the gun is that extraction started to become more difficult on the third cylinder. That is a common issue with titanium cylinder revolvers. My S&W 329PD did the very same thing. You just need to remember to man handle the extractor rod during extraction if the gun is hot.

I experienced zero issues with timing, lock up, or operation during the firing session. Although lightweight, the revolver is pretty robust, very accurate, and is a pleasure to carry in a holster. I personally wouldn't hesitate to carry it as a defensive revolver in the outdoors.

I hope that his helps some. If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't shoot specials in my 44 Magnums, but if I did, this would be a great platform for them. I'm very pleased with this revolver. Good luck to you, and be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I also forgot to mention that I was having problems getting my 444 to fit in N-Frame holsters. Strangely enough I ended up using a Galco holster, made to fit a 4" S&W 500. It fits like a glove in it.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
It probably fits well as its built on the Raging Bull frame, not the older large frame thats used for the M44 and the M608 (and possibly others). The older large frame should fit in an N frame holster.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
embalmer883 said:
Very good. Thanks. I am thinking of carrying on duty with specials. Thanks for the report.
Ummm....carrying on duty? I'll assume you're armed security and not PD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually a deputy. The department has so many regs about autoloaders that alot of carry a wheel gun. According to our departments armourer they are less deadly. ;)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
embalmer883 said:
actually a deputy. The department has so many regs about autoloaders that alot of carry a wheel gun. According to our departments armourer they are less deadly. ;)
Never really heard of an armorer stating one handgun is less deadly than another...LOL. If your going to carry a revolver on duty why not consider a tried and true classic----a 4-inch .357 magnum.

Where are you serving as a deputy? I'd like to give your Dept. a call and have a chat with that armorer. :bang: :loco: :)

·
Registered
846 Posts
True NYPD, I wonder how many people have been killed in the U.S. by a .22 thru the years.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jackson County Mississippi Sheriff's Department. Our sop states that semi auto's must be tradional double action with an exposed hammer and decock. Or DAO. So we can carry Sigs, S&W classics, beretta, some tauruses, some H&K's etc. But you have to take the 3 day transition class first. You can go out and qual with a revolver (that is why we say the revolver is less dangerous, 30min and your good to go).

I should have known better then to mention the words on-duty without explaining myself. Right now I do carry a Colt trooper mk III 4" 357. Just thought the Ultra light would be something to behold (not to mention we have wild hogs that frequent neighborhoods)

·
Registered
846 Posts
No doubt it would be good on hogs, Ive always liked the .44 calib. but I not to afraid to admit this old mans hands might not like that ulta lite.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The hogs is the main reason I was thinking of it. It would put alot more power and actually weigh less. Not to mention that a 200gr. special load would take the fight out of most.

·
Registered
25 Posts
texas shooter said:
No doubt it would be good on hogs, Ive always liked the .44 calib. but I not to afraid to admit this old mans hands might not like that ulta lite.
It is a very "challenging" gun to shoot well. Accurate shooting requires me to put a lot of concentration into sight alignment and trigger control, while simultaneously trying to block out the sharp snap of recoil that is soon to come. With most revolvers, you tend to just learn to ignore the recoil. It's not going to happen with the 444 Ultra-Lite.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I think it would be a breeze to shoot .44specials in the 444 ultra light...full power magnums are another story...

Personally I would go with .44spl over .357mag; the recoil won't be as sharp or hard and .44spl would be much easier to the ears ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts