Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys;
In another thread a couple of us said the 44 Tracker won't take full size cartridges. Well, I just ordered one and have every intention of loading 300 gr. Remington or Grizzly hard-cast bullet cartridges for the Alaskan backwoods. Please tell me they'll fit!
Alden
:guns:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Highly unlikely. As I stated in another thread Buffalo Bore 255-grain gas checks barely had clearance at the front of the cylinder.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
er, wut?

should'nt all .44mag loads be the same over all length? i dont get it.. please explain.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The .44 magnum Tracker if anything like my .45 Colt Tracker, has a shorter OAL cylinder past the cylinder throats. That means 255 grain bullets are about it in length.

However, some of my cast bullets drop at 265 grain depending on the mix.

Before you give up on that 255 to 265 grain size, try them and see what they do, they ain't namby pamby...they hurt what ever they hit.

TB C45

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow!
I'm not reloading. But I think, and hope, u guys might be wrong. Besides NOT reading about this limitation anywhere else in my decision making or a caution from Taurus themselves, let me explain why...

I compared the 300 gr. Grizzly and Fedral Premium ammunitions to three different factory-loaded 240 gr. cartridges. The M&D Semi-wadcutter, USA Jacketed Soft Point and Winchester Semi-wadcutter are all relatively significantly or a hair LONGER than the heavier bullet loaded cartridges I want to use. They were also the SAME length as some misc. Remington Jacketed Hollow-points.

Maybe someone can mic or otherwise tell me the Tracker 44 cylinder OAL so I can see if I am screwed here please?

Thanks again

Alden

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you went to a gun store you could try seat a 300 grain bullet cartridge in the .44 Tracker yourself, that would dispell any doubts about wether its going to fit or not.

But having seen some of those long 300 grain bullets I really doubt its going to go in all the way.

Frankly, I doubt the Tracker is suited for that much pressure, you should be contacting Taurus reps that know the score.

TB C45

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
That's a bad deal. I would not buy the Tracker because of that. Alden, is there anyway you can send the gun back and get something different?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys;
I will try them in the arm next weekend (teaching at West Point this Saturday).
As for returing it? Anyone wanna buy an unused Tracker 44 -- it is still at the gunshop and I've never even seen it. lol
Only kidding, for now -- it's that or a 2 1/2" 357 in Alaska...
Alden

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys;
By the way, I did contact Taurus and a Technical Rep. told me the Tracker WON'T take big. heavy, loads like Federal Vital Shock, Grizzly, Buffalo Bore... I asked twice but he wouldn't tell me what the max. pressure handling of a 44 Tracker is stating it is in the owners manual (which I don't have yet) and then went on to mumble that the Tracker will handle all SAAMI factory loads which Federal apparently is. In other words, Taurus customer service is as bad and lazy as we hear but the gun should handle big Federal loads, if they fit!

Can someone tell me what the max. pressure handling is if it even is in the owners manual of their 44 Tracker manual?!

Thanks again

Alden

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
CALIBER WEIGHT VELOCITY
17 HMR....................................................17 GR 2525 FPS
218 BEE ..................................................46 GR 2760 FPS
22LR ........................................................40 GR 1280 FPS
22 WRF MAGNUM ..................................40 GR 1480 FPS
22 HORNET ............................................40 GR 2690 FPS
30 CARBINE ............................................110 GR 1990 FPS
32 S&W LONG ........................................98 GR 789 FPS
32 H&R MAGNUM ..................................96 GR 1100 FPS
38 SPL ....................................................158 GR 755 FPS
357 MAGNUM..........................................158 GR 1450 FPS
41 MAGNUM............................................210 GR 1300 FPS
44 S&W SPL............................................200 GR 900 FPS
44 MAGNUM............................................240 GR 1350 FPS
45 ACP ....................................................225 GR 900 FPS
45 LONG COLT........................................255 GR 900 FPS
454 CASULL ............................................300 GR 1625 FPS
480 RUGER ............................................325 GR 1350 FPS
GR = grains
FPS = Feet per second

You can use .38 Special ammunition in all Taurus revolvers chambered for
.357 Magnum; .44 Special ammunition in Taurus revolvers chambered for .44
Magnum; and .45 Long Colt in Taurus revolvers chambered for 454 Casull. It
is important to note that these are the only caliber substitutions that will
function. Attempting to substitute other calibers can damage your firearm and
may result in accidental death or serious injury.

This is from the Online manual that you can download from Taurus site. Of course I did it last fall. I could have changed.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
^ Yeah that's what it says in the manual, they don't list max PSI preasues.

I know you said you don't relaod but I know that some powders don't require as long of a OAL as others; you might be able to use a 300gr bullet if you seat it deep enough (while staying above the required min. OAL)...

BTW I don't think the CS guy was lazy; I doubt he himself knew the what max preasure the gun can handle is. But what ever it is, it should be a bit higher than normal/recommended 44mag pressure ammo (for safety/liability reasons). So just use 'regular' .44mag ammo that fits the gun and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.
I called Taurus back after checking out what those specs in the online Taurus manual meant (thanks for those too) which were not too useful. The gal I spoke to siad she'd check right away but doubted they had that data in the US. They didn't. I asked if the gun would handle SAAMI spec cartridges and she said absolutely (which I'm waiting two days for Federal to confirm per voice-mail and e-Mail I sent them). When I said to Taurus Rep. that the specs in the owners manual were not even manufactured she laughed an said they are WAY under spec. so not to worry.

Problem is I want a Bear load and care more about a hard cast bullet than its power (weight and/or velocity) but there are no average loads I can find with hard bullets. Magtech makes a FMJ 240 but has not responded it would be be unlikely to instantly deform and fragment which are no-no's for Grizzly.

Alden

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys;
Good news (I think).
I found an old article from when the Taurus tracker 44 was launched and it said the longest cartridge it could take in the somewhat short cylinder is 1.626". I mic'ed 300 gr. Federal Premium Castcore hunting rounds and they come in at a VERY consistent 1.585" so I've got a comfortable 4/100's of an inch margin to play with -- lol.

Still need to test this out in person and get confirmation from a slow Federal that these are SAAMI spec pressure loaded.

Alden

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
joe sixpack said:
er, wut? should'nt all .44mag loads be the same over all length? i dont get it.. please explain.
Um....no. I posted this picture in another post - compare this to a 'regular' 44 mag bullet length....

If you ever get bored at the range, light a few of these off - it's better than 2 cups of coffee....heh heh heh......

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dear God, those Buffalo rounds are HOT! Just look at the velocity on that 340 gr. head and note the energy!! No wonder Taurus specifically said to avoid that brand in their Tracker (not that'd fit)!!!
Alden

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
http://www.gunblast.com/Taurus-Tracker44.htm

Was this the article you read?

If you do decide to sell it, I don't think you'll have too much trouble.

Remember that the 44 Tracker is a medium frame gun. However, its probably safe (pressure wise) to use any standard 44 magnum load. But, since it IS a medium frame gun, Taurus ended up using a slightly shorter cylinder to make it work. Considering the difference in weight and grip size vs a large frame gun (like Taurus's M44 or a Smith 629) its probably an acceptable trade off.

I've looked at the 44 Trackers as I'll be getting a 44 magnum at some point. I'm still at a toss up between a Tracker (which I've fired) and a M44. For me, the M44 has the advantage of normal length cylinder, Safariland speed loaders (HKS works fine, I just prefer the Safariland) and better holster availability. The Tracker has the size and weight advantage. Regardless I'll be getting stainless and most likely a 4" barrel.

Steelheart

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
If the tracker would take a 300 gr grizzly load then that should be sufficient for bear. I like the M44, I just run straight 240 gr jacketed sp in mine as an all purpose load for city, and country and I never feel undergunned. I finally got a hold of some .44 leverlution in 225 gr and I can't wait for deer season. I'm curious as to what that leverlution would do to a grizzly though, if that ballistic tip could do the damage in the right place on a grizz then I would most definitely run that because it's less wear and tear on your gun and your hand.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Um....no. I posted this picture in another post - compare this to a 'regular' 44 mag bullet length....

If you ever get bored at the range, light a few of these off - it's better than 2 cups of coffee....heh heh heh......
ok obviously much longer bullet.. but those technically are'nt 44mag rounds then are they? they dont meet specifications so ya they'll fire in some .44mags but they look to far exceed overall length in .44mag spec's

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
texastaurusguy said:

I hope you're running those in a Raging Bull. It hadn't clicked the first time I read this thread that those are BB's Heavy 44 magnum loads. They aren't safe in many guns like Taurus 44 Trackers or M44's, Smith 629's, Colt 44's etc. They need the high strength guns like Raging Bulls, X frames (don't know if they've been make in 44) Super Redhawks etc.

Steelheart

·
Administrator
35,286 Posts
I was just illustrating for Joe Sixpack the difference in length.....I've stood next to a guy lighting these off at the range, but I've never done so personally. The shock wave coming from the gun was a physical force all by itself......the guy only fired a couple of cylinder fulls and then switched over to something tamer - like a 240 grain full power load :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts