Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the .44 Tracker suitable for hunting medium size game or is it too lightly constructed for hunting appropriate rounds?

·
Registered
275 Posts
The .44 magnum Tracker is carried by a lot of Bush pilots in Alaska, do you think they'd carrier something else if it was as compact, lite in weight, carried in a back pack or holster.

However, it will down moose if hit right. You have to be a proficient shot which requires a lot of practice with any firearm to be accurate.

As to running into a Brown bear, I'd rather have a .44 magnum on hand than picking up some rocks. Here again, shot placement is paramount.

It can down a deer if that's what you're after, 50 yards is no problem if you're accurate.

TB C45

·
Registered
178 Posts
It will do fine on medium sized game ( Deer) etc. A 245 .44 SWC cast hard @ 900 will break both shoulders of a small/medium sized Deer & howl off into space. The Tracker will handle factory .44 mag loads if you are not a handloader. The really heavy bullets may be too long for the cylinder, but for medium game I don't think you really need them anyway. Frank

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
For deer I use 240 gr jsp, but not in a tracker, I usually run the m44. .300 gr, is fine for bear, but in 2004 I bagged a 2 point with my model 29 6" smith which was shooting pmc 240 gr jsp factory load. It was a freehand shot about 25 yards away since I had a .410 in my left hand and was surprised by the deer. I had a good away facing broadside through the brush and the bullet went in the left side behind the shoulder, busted through the front rib and lungs, and came out in front of the right shoulder and had enough gas to keep on going. The deer was imobilized and couldn't run, but it required another shot to finish him off. I'd say a tracker in a 4" or 6" barrel with the same load would do the same job, the only difference is that you have 5 shots instead of 6.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I shot a deer in the head with my 2" 44C and it was lights out at 5 yards while she stood there looking at me. Normally I would not hunt with this 2" model but, I happen to be taking a pee at the time, and turned to look around and she was standing there. Pulled out the 44 Mag aimed and fired as the fiber optic front sight glowed like a flare.

She dropped like a rock and that is all she wrote. I am in the market for a 4" Tracker model since they do have rear sights for hunting. There is nothing wrong with the Tracker models.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Just don't plan on shooting a Brown bear or grizzly with it - use a gun that will take the 310+ grain bullets like Buffalo Bore and a large frame 44 mag revolver if you think you might run across something like that......

·
Registered
38 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
Just don't plan on shooting a Brown bear or grizzly with it - use a gun that will take the 310+ grain bullets like Buffalo Bore and a large frame 44 mag revolver if you think you might run across something like that......
Texastaurusguy you don't need 310-gr bullets for our grizz up here in Montana. If a 210-gr from a .41 mag is enough to take one of our grizzly bears, believe me a hard cast 255-gr SWC GC bullet will be plenty. I may still get the 4" Tracker just for kicks anyways.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
You're braver than me, Montanan - I would want the heaviest 44 mag bullet I could get my hands on.....but you're very likely the expert on this.... :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
No I don't claim to be an expert on the subject, but there are other choices besides those bullets you mentioned that will work in the 44 Tracker models.

Here are several that will work, maybe not at the same feet per second that Tim Sundle is loading with Buffalo Bore but will penetrate very well.

255-gr SWC GC

290-gr SWC GC

300-gr TC

305-gr WFN GC

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
Nice - I especially like the Keith semi-wadcutter. Here is a picture of a round that will definitely do the trick...... ;D You know us Texans, we like to over-do everything.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now contact Buffalo Bore and see if the total OAL will fit the Tracker chamber, and I think you will find that that is to long. I wish we could use these but they just won't work.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
There have been previous threads about just that, and you're right - it won't. That doesn't mean that the Tracker isn't a really nice niche gun though, and I may end up with one if I can't find an older Taurus or Rossi 44 special for a good price. To answer the original question, I think the Tracker can handle any round that you can fit into the chamber just fine.

·
Registered
38 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
There have been previous threads about just that, and you're right - it won't. That doesn't mean that the Tracker isn't a really nice niche gun though, and I may end up with one if I can't find an older Taurus or Rossi 44 special for a good price. To answer the original question, I think the Tracker can handle any round that you can fit into the chamber just fine.
You know that is funny, I was going to post a picture of the 4" Tracker that I am looking at, as I already have the 2" Tracker model in blue only because my dealer did not have the stainless model when I bought mine several years ago. I went into his shop yesterday and he has a 2" Tracker 44C like mine for $389.00 and the two 4" models are just a tad over the $400.00 range. One is stainless and the other blue. Both of these make for great trail guns, and complement my Marlin 1895G in 45-70 8)

If you get one of these, I really don't think you will be disappointed in the least, and you get a free membership to the NRA complements of Taurus as well.

I think these little Tracker 44 magnum's are the best deal going as I had looked at other makers yesterday and well the prices floored me even on the used stuff.

Have a great morning.

·
32,788 Posts
Experts are know it alls or believe they are. LOL

Man on the spot is an authority for his area and experiences in such things.

Glad we cleared that up.

Nice posts. Learn something new daily.

·
Super Moderator
35,597 Posts
That 340 grain BB load might be a tad hot for a tracker even if it did fit the cylinder. I'd fire it in a superblackhawk, but I don't know about a lighter gun. You don't need that much anyway unless you're traveling in Alaska's brown bear country. I'd go with a much ligher bullet/load in .44 for deer hunting. They ain't armor plated, ya know.

·
Administrator
35,733 Posts
I guess that brings up a question I've always wondered....would you shoot a bear in the head, or through the heart? Which would most likely be stopping it quickest? I've always read that you want the heavy, fast bullet to go through the dense, thick bones and tissue....but every picture you see with the downed bear always looks like the bear is sleeping, with no blood showing.......just curious.

·
Registered
38 Posts
NativeTexan said:
That 340 grain BB load might be a tad hot for a tracker even if it did fit the cylinder. I'd fire it in a superblackhawk, but I don't know about a lighter gun. You don't need that much anyway unless you're traveling in Alaska's brown bear country. I'd go with a much ligher bullet/load in .44 for deer hunting. They ain't armor plated, ya know.
Well, that is why today I passed on the 4" Tracker in 44 magnum and purchased a Ruger SBH 4" SS so I can use the longer bullets should I desire to.

by: texastaurusguy
I guess that brings up a question I've always wondered....would you shoot a bear in the head, or through the heart? Which would most likely be stopping it quickest? I've always read that you want the heavy, fast bullet to go through the dense, thick bones and tissue....but every picture you see with the downed bear always looks like the bear is sleeping, with no blood showing.......just curious.
Not unless that bear is trying to munch on you ... :rolleyes: Seriously a bears head is pretty hard, and unless you can put one in the eye or right thru the mouth I would not do it. Much better if you got a throat shot or chest shot so you can get to the vitals if all you got is your handgun.... but my handgun is not my primary woods firearm, but the Marlin 1895G is as I carry much better medecine for that requirement.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i'm no gun guru,iin fact i still need to learn quite a bit more to even be
considered a novice,but the 240 gr cast loaded loaded with blue dot should do very nicely on deer.

the 250 gr. cast is also very effective on a deer as long as the shot is well placed.

whatever your choice ,practice as much as possible with that load,
no 300 gr bullet will subsitute for a bad hit. dan

·
Registered
113 Posts
IMO...
As someone who picks up his own new .44 Tracker tomorrow for Alaska I will tell you it is NOT a first, best, choice for hunting. Get a bigger, heavier, frame gun than the 34 oz. 5 shot. It is basically a heavy barreled K-Frame designed around the .38/.357. The .44 Mag is fine for hunting medium game and a great choice for back-up on large, dangerous, game which is why I'm getting mine. If grizzly is your issue the Tracker will NOT handle Buffalo ammo. It WILL handle Federal Core Cast Vital Shock 300 gr. ammo which could end-up in the hind quarters with a head-on chest shot and go straight thru big bear from the side. It will go thru hair and hide, punch thru and shatter thick bone and penetrate deep into and through vital organs in one piece, undaunted. Good shooting is important and you will not want to practice too much or sport-shoot a Tracker in .44 Mag. Yes, u can use .44 Special but then why buy a .44 Mag? The .41 would be a better, and faster follow-up shooting, gun with significantly more power than a .357 (it is much closer to the .44 in power with better balistic coefficient).

Note: the 4" Tracker is NOT a 4" barreled revolver either. It is 3" barrel with an integral 1" ported barrel-shroud at the end. No-one here has ever seemed to realize and/or comment on that little tidbit that I've seen. If I had that much money to burn, play on words intended, I'd cut the last inch off and get the thing Magna-Ported...

Bottom line: as a compact-frame gun for big back-up protection for the price the Tracker is top-shelf and nothing else in the market compares to it as far as I'm concerned. If hunting is your primary use though, go up a couple of levels...

Alden

1 - 20 of 20 Posts