Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I think I am going to get a 44 Tracker. I just can't force myself to pay $350 for a used 441-44 special. I like the idea of no barrel porting however.
I am only going to shoot light loads, so new Trackers are not much more then these used 441's. What is the consensus of blue vs. stainless. Besides the obvious resistance to scratches and rust, are there any other great advantages to stainless? I am a plinker, so only take the gun to the range in a case, so the finish doesn't get abused.
I thought stainless is harder to machine, so is the quality equal? Is durability the same? I had a S&W model 66 357 that got "loose" after not too much shooting. Just wondering about other's experiences. The stainless with rubber grips looks great, but the blue needs wood grips to look right which would bring the total to the same as the stainless.
Opinions Please?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well i think you already said it.. the great thing about stainless is it's rust resistance.. and also scratches are'nt as noticeable..

but i also find stainless steel to be very attractive.

for me it's stainless all the way.. when given a choice i'll always go with stainless..

now if price is a concern then blue/black it is.. and i will also buy a blue/black gun if i get a good deal.. but i definitely prefer stainless.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My 94 is blue, and my 741-32 mag is blue, and they look wonderful with wood. I don't think they make wood grips for the tracker yet. It is a bit easier handling the stainless, as you don't have to be quite so cautious about little knocks and dings. Probably will go with the stainless.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For a carry piece I say stainless as it is more durable.

I also prefer stainless for this reason. I plan on picking up an M44 4" barrel that I plan on carrying every now and again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I prefer that deep dark blue, I always have. SS while nice, shows every little scratch and blemish and I don't feel like scouring it every time its out.

·
Registered
113 Posts
As said, you said it all. My opinion is stainless for a rougher-handled, harder working, gun. For classic beauty, their blue is quite nice. Wood is nice either way but so are the rubber (ribber?) grips, either way...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts