Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, first time here. Hoping to be more.

My father passed recently and left me a few guns, one being his favorite Taurus .44 special titanium. I also inherited all his reloading stuff as well.

As he loved shooting the .44 special, I'm kind of taking it to heart and it has become my daily carry.

He had a bunch of 180gr Hornady XTP bullets loaded with 6.4 grains of Unique. I pulled the bullet on these and measured the powder. Does the load seem ok?

Also there were hundreds of .44 special 240g JHP and round nose. I am not sure if he shot those through his Ruger RedHawk .44 magnum or the Taurus special. The Taurus owners manual said the max bullet weight for the .44 special is 200g. Is a bullet that big ok to shoot on the titanium frame?

I've also got several boxes of sierra 210g JHP, 240g copper roundnose and several bottles of Unique powder. Any idea on a good load for these?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I do 5.0gr of HP-38 under a lead round nose bullet. The heavy bullets are punishing on both your hand and the light weight gun so I avoid them. Those five shot .44 special cylinder walls are pretty thin and I'm not going to risk them. I'm also not sure how much "bullet setback" plays into this with bullets jumping crimp or even sinking back into the case. Either way would be bad.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I load for a Taurus Model 441 SS. It is a heavier gun than your 445 but the strength factor should be the same. You can load any weight projectile you want, just do it and stay inside the SAAMI specs. The 44 Special is a very accurate and pleasant round to shoot. I cast my own bullets and load and shoot several thousand rounds a year. I have the 441 and a 4 times more expensive S&W 624 that doesn't shoot as good as the Taurus. I like both and they are both really attractive revolvers. Look at a current load manual and you will see that modern 44 loads are easy to assemble and pleasant to shoot and Unique powder is one of the best for the 44 Special with use in the entire range of bullet weights.

·
Super Moderator
40,396 Posts
Can't help with the .44 load, however let me say sorry for the loss of your father, and
from the Florida Keys! :wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the condolence.

I got up to the woods today and unleashed many rounds. The 445 did quite well for the 240g, although I think I'll stick to 200-210G range.

It's a keeper and I'm a new fan of the .44. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
hello
even if you can shoot a 240 gr within a 44spl I think that the best weight is around 200 gr, if you can try WC on a44 spl

but i'm interrested with your feed back about accuracy with hornady XTP, I suppose that they are XTP HP, please confirm

·
Registered
351 Posts
Tux, I have an older (2003), all stainless, non-ported 2" 445. I've been shooting handloads in it that consist of the 240 grain XTP, over 5.0 grains of IMR Trail Boss. It's turned out to be fairly low recoil, very accurate, even out of the 2" and it shoots good out of my 4" M44C Tracker .44 Magnum which I use for target shooting as well.

The main benefit of the heavier XTP (200 and up) bullets is Hornady (according to them) designed them to expand well even at the lower velocities. The fact that they are quite accurate at those lower velocities makes them pretty good IMHO for defensive ammo in the 445 and the Charter Bulldogs.

In that Titanium 445, you might try some Trail Boss and any of the XTP bullets. Read Hodgdon's info on Trail Boss. It's one of the safest powders to experiment with and you pretty much can't pack enough of it into a given cartridge to exceed the SAAMI safe pressures for your gun. Hodgdon even tells you that if there isn't a load published for a given bullet in a particular caliber, using their formula you can safely make up your own. Figure out where the base of a seated bullet is in the case, fill the case to that point with Trail Boss and dump it into your scale pan. That weight of TB becomes your MAX load. Multiply that weight by .7 and that becomes your starting weight. Somewhere between the two points you'll find a loading for that bullet that will produce the best accuracy. So far, it's worked for me in all the handgun and rifle loads I've tried.

Not really relevent here, but I had an 8mm Mauser rifle load using a 209 grain cast lead bullet and about 13 grains of Trail Boss that pretty much had the trajectory of a mortar but would put 5 of those heavy bullets into under a quarter size hole at 100 yards out of a WW2 K98 carbine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The Unique/XTP load you mentioned sounds like a good .44 Special load, probably a fairly tame one at that.
You will probably want to pull some of the other ones and make sure what the powder is and how much is in there before shooting them in your Special. If you start seeing 15-20 grains of small-grain spherical powder you'll want to save those for a .44Mag.

·
Registered
29,845 Posts
Unique has been around since 1899 and there are lots of good loads available on line from the gun forums as well as Alliant (formerly Hercules) gun powder company.

6.4 grains of Unique behind a 180 gr .44 cal. (.429) bullet is a fairly mild load.

I've used up to 7.4 grains (a warm load) behind the same bullet weight in my 4" S&W M-24 for around 900 FPS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hello
even if you can shoot a 240 gr within a 44spl I think that the best weight is around 200 gr, if you can try WC on a44 spl

but i'm interrested with your feed back about accuracy with hornady XTP, I suppose that they are XTP HP, please confirm

It has done well with the 240g XTP, yes they were XTP HP. I don't think I was anywhere close to max load for the design, but I did find that the 200g XPT HP's were kinder on recoil. My targets (milkjugs) were only 25 feet away and I hit them with either load.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts