Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, I always liked .44 magnum, it makes me feel like I can take care of any problem with that round.Does anyone else carry .44magnum as a CCW? and what are your toughts about it? I know they say .357 magnum is the best defense round but I somehow like better .44

thinking about buying this, not a bad deal for $440
Db

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

well, this one :) would be more than enough I`m pretty sure...

judge: and defendant, what was your self defense weapon?

me: .454 Casull Sir :'(

jury: OOOHHHHHHHHHHH :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

judge: overkill..20 years :( :(

Db

·
Administrator
40,178 Posts
Both look great, but weight and size for concealability is a major consideration for most.

By the way, welcome to the forum. :wave:

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
wonder if I could use my JUDGE for CCW. 6.5" barrel and all 13" long of it. I can get the shoulder rig for it, but I might have to carry two BUG's on the opposite side to balance me, so I could walk straight!!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If I carried a .44 Maggie for SD it would be an Ultralite version such as the Taurus 444 or the S&W 329PD. It would NOT be loaded with magnum rounds---specials only.
Way too much penetration on a human to be carrying a .44 Mag around.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'm sure there are some who carry .44 Mags for SD but I wouldn't be one of them. A member of Glock Talk carries a 2" S&W .500 Mag for self-defense. Again, it can be done but and some do but it wouldn't be for me. I'd think it'd be akin to lugging a boat anchor around all day.

I'd also suggest using .44 Specials in it if you do go that route or disregarding the .44 Magnum entirely and getting a 2" revolver chambered in .44 Special. If you feel the need for a little more oomph, Buffalo Bore offers a 180 gr. JHC @ 1150 FPS for 543 Foot pounds of energy.

http://www.buffalobore.com/ammunition/default.htm#44spl

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey Smokewagon, thank you. I had 8" 454 Casull and it was fun gun to shoot, it was like shooting an airgun when using with .45 LC.Nothing I would carry tho.At my CCL class they told us to carry .357 mag but loaded with 38special, they said 38`s were enough for SD and 357mag may be a problem if we end up in a courtroom.I can`t even imagine what would they say about .44mag .I like the gun,I had Smith 4" in .44mag and it was a great gun, I ordered Hogue wood grip but after I experienced the difference in kick I decided to go back to original rubber grips.Taurus ,IMHO, has a great rubber grips and I wouldn`t change them, my .454Casull had a great set of grips.At the moment I carry SW99 in 9mm loaded with HP Golden Sabre Remmington ammo, and with 18 rounds I feel pretty confident.I also have Ruger SP101 2" .357 wich I like a lot, I like Ruger revolvers but not really their autos.Even tho I love .44mags i think you guys are right and 357mag or even 38special should do just fine for SD.I`ll have to check that Buffalo Bore ammo.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

this was my revolver collection

and this was my auto collection

this is my old collection complete, I had some more guns since, Cold Cobra, Ruger PR345,Smith Airlite, etc... but many of those guns got lost in my divorce, in pawn shop or bankruptcy.I managed to save Ruger SP101, GP100, SW99, DW 715 and Colt Cobra .357 all the rest is gone.And let me give you advice if you ever have to file a bankruptcy, you will be asked to put everything you have on the list, remember, trustee goes by that list, everything you put on they will take it from you, don`t put your guns, I did but I had so many that I forgot to list these few, so they came with the list and picked all of the guns on the list :mad:.Those were not some rare expencive guns but still, they were mine and I loved every single one of them. :'(

Db

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well a .44mag is all bidness and stoping power theres really nothign bad you can say about it..

but i personally would'nt carry a .44mag as my 1st choice.. i think a .357 will get the job done just fine.. hell i'd even use a 38spl..

i prefer 9mm most of all.

·
32,661 Posts
There are some considerations here folks.

First off, the .44 magnum can digest .44 Special self defense rounds. Some that are pretty hot, others mild, put out by Corbon and other ammo makers.

Second, if outdoors it can make sense to carry the .44 magnum for two legged or four legged varmints or predators.
Remington puts out two loads that are medium velocity, but moving faster than .44 Special loads.

The caveats are as follows.
There are techniques to master recoil as taught by Mas Ayoob that will help immeasureably.

One of the gunwriters whose been there and done that. He's a body builder named Leroy Thompson likes the .44 magnum, but has written articles on the big .44 stating that there are many handicaps to shooting them. As big and as built as Thompson is, he has some troubles shooting the .44 magnum. Doing this when things are calm are one thing. Under extreme duress of a defensive situation is another.

Thompson has carried the .44 magnum when on assignments. He's a world class firearms instructor and bodyguard instructor. He goes with something other than the full power loads when using the .44 magnum as the primary firearm. Most of the time anyway. There's always a few exceptions to general guidelines.
Most of the time now he carries a pistol or longarm and pistol if need be.

I agree there are circumstances where a .44 magnum is fine. If the person can control it, has shot under real world duress, and handles it well. Or the person is built to carry it as a CCW.
Those are the exceptions.

For most part I will stick with my .357 magnum and do all right and have a decent level of protection. That's what's nice about the magnum revolvers. Simplicity, easy manual of arms,versatility, and one can custom fit the ammo to the situation at hand.

Good old Dirty Harry's quote ( I doubt he was the first to say it ;D ), " A man has to know his limitations", is all too true.

Remington puts out two loads that are mdium velocity, but moving faster than .44 Special loads. These are 210gr JHP.at 1000 fps.and the 240 gr JHP. at 1180 fps. are nothing to sneeze at.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
I decided to carry a .44 revolver for several reasons. Up here in the Northwest I transition from an urban environment to wilderness in less than a half hour and transitioning from gun to gun would not be practical. I like the reliability of a revolver and the .44 has various loads fit to take care of all manner of things. For most occasions I have a plain old jacketed slug which if you are careful of the backstop will drop anything up to a black bear (grizzlies are a different matter but they would have a terrible headache after a full cylinder of these buggers). With anything you carry it all depends on the environment. Is a .44 mag good for your apartment? Probably not. It's not a do all cartridge like everyone makes it out to be it has it's limitations. You can take a 300 gr slug and slow it down enough so all the energy is transfered into the target, which will cause a lot of damage, but the trick is getting it to do that without goin completely through the body and taking out innocent bystanders. Federal hydrashoks does a good job of that if you are worried about overpenetration. If you feel that you can control the recoil which the M44 ports do one good job of(that's my carry piece) then get yourself some .44 special and go for it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, I feel good with my 17 rounds of 9mm GS, but that 44magnum was always apealing to me, I had one and loved it, carried only once tho, LOL, shot it many times and it was fun...there is just something about those big boomers like .44magnum

Db

·
Registered
178 Posts
44M, The Taurus .44Mag Tracker in 4" is a pretty good carry gun. It's 35oz similar to the S&W 4" model 19, & will handle .44 Specials just fine for defence. If you are in the hills where something big & furry might wander into your space you can reload with Mags. It is snappy to shoot with full .44 Mags. But a dream with specials. Another plus is that the HKS CA44 speed loader will work. It's the one made for Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special. Good shooting.Frank

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frank V said:
If you are in the hills where something big & furry might wander into your space you can reload with Mags.
that is what I like about it, I guess you can carry with slower .44 spec. and if you want a big boomer just load a .44 mags, sounds like a plan to me, and I do like that tracker in 4", looks like a very nice revolver... thanks Franks

·
Registered
178 Posts
44M, you are welcome, If you get or have a .44 Tracker don't overlook the CA44 speed loader if you need a quick reload. You can indeed shoot .44 Specials they are a joy to shoot in any .44 Mag. I'd guess I fire 1000 Specials for every .44 Mag but I don't often need the full power loads. Enjoy. Frank

·
Registered
89 Posts
I adhere to Old Fluff's 5-5-5 carry test. Can you fire five rounds in five seconds at five yards and keep impacting rounds within five inches of POA? If you are not able to do that, you need to go down a caliber or get a larger frame revolver/pistol.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, the most gun fights happen on 1-3 feet distance and some on livingroom distance, most rounds fired in gunfight are 1-3 , those are just statistics and situations that you will get in when/if you get into a gun fight.So, on 3 feet distance person does not need to be a great shoot to hit the target, and if you have something like .357 mag or .44 mag it is more than likely that the same person will need only one round, it is kind of hard for me to immagine scene where the BG was shoot with .44 magnum from 3 feet, three times, it would look more like he was run over by the train I guess...

Db

1 - 20 of 25 Posts