Taurus Firearm Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seriously considering the 444 Multi 4-inch Ultralite. Now remember this: I am strictly a S&W or Ruger revolver kind of guy. Somebody persuade me why I should pick up this beauty( not in the blued shown, but in stainless steel). Thanx.

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
I think it'd be a pretty awesome back packin', hiking piece. Light on the hip and power enough for anything you might come across that needs shootiin'. With light loads and good accuracy, you could take small game with it.

Then, again, maybe I watched too much of that "Man vs Wild" marathon on Discovery Channel yesterday. LOL Really, though, this thing is a lot more powerful than my .357 M66s in bear country and a lot easier to carry than my Ruger 4 5/8" .45 Colt Blackhawk. It makes a lot of sense in that role, to me.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Get it and let us know wat you think of it :D

That gun is quite lite; something like 28oz blue model and 32oz stainless - that's less then PT92!! One thing I don't like about my .44 Raging bull -which I love; is the weight (55oz).

I'd love to have one but here in Canadakistan anything with a barrel under 4.13in is illigal :(

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have fired a Smith Model 329. about the same weight as the Multi. I was using full house 44 mag. loads (240 gr.)and the recoil was brutal.Not fun at all.It's not a plinking load!.The carry weight is like a small 38 special which is nice. Is the light carry weight worth the increase in recoil?May be the question.Too bad you can't fire one with magnum and special loads before you decide.
I'm also toying with the idea of a Multi.From my experiences I would use 44 special for normal shooting and save the magnums for emergency only.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Recoil is not a concern for me whatsoever. After 21 years with the NYPD I've been shot twice---once on the left side of my chest with a 9mm 124-grain Federal hydrashok. And once dead center in the back with a .357 Mag 158-grain wadcutter. (this one was back in 1987 and the 9mm was in 2003) Thank God for those 30 layers of Kevlar and the trauma plate---LOL. So as far as recoil goes...it does not phase me one bit.

On a side note: The perp who shot me in 2003 was killed by my partner after a short foot chase when he turned and raised his weapon in the direction of another officer.

The one who hit me in '87 ran and got away (I was on a foot post alone at the time) He was never apprehended.

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
I think the idea is just like that of the snubby .357s or originally even the K frame M19. It's to be carried a lot and fired a little. No, cappin' off 50 or 100 rounds of full house .44 magnum at the range probably is not the deal, be a little unpleasant. But, if a griz is 25 yards from you and charging, who cares about recoil? You won't even notice it is my bet. LOL! I'm not a ravid back packer nor have I ever been, really. But, I've done enough to know that every ounce counts out on the trail. If I were going to take a long trek, I'd probably tote either my 4" .357 mag or my Ruger P90 in .45 ACP, both about 33 ounces. The Blackhawk is over 40 ounces, but has a lot more bang with my hot handloads. But, I've carried that thing all day in the Guadelupes in New Mexico before scouting for a week before season. It got kinda heavy after a while. This weapon would give you both power and light weight.

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
NYPD in AZ said:
Recoil is not a concern for me whatsoever. After 21 years with the NYPD I've been shot twice---once on the left side of my chest with a 9mm 124-grain Federal hydrashok. And once dead center in the back with a .357 Mag 158-grain wadcutter. (this one was back in 1987 and the 9mm was in 2003) Thank God for those 30 layers of Kevlar and the trauma plate---LOL. So as far as recoil goes...it does not phase me one bit.

On a side note: The perp who shot me in 2003 was killed by my partner after a short foot chase when he turned and raised his weapon in the direction of another officer.

The one who hit me in '87 ran and got away (I was on a foot post alone at the time) He was never apprehended.
Wow, I'm glad you survived! OUCH! WTF, I thought they had gun control in NYC, ROFL! Goons like that don't last long. I'm sure you weren't the first. He'll get his if he hasn't already. He's probably dead now. 1987 was 20 years ago. Being a thug is a hazardous occupation.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The Taurus revolvers have come a long way since the 80's as far as reliability and fuction.I also was a strictly Smith or Ruger man until I tried the raging Bull in 454 Casull.I was so impressed with the gun I bought a taurus Tracker snubbie in 44 mag.I'm sold on Taurus.they produce a good sound gun.
Taurus was owned by Bangor Punta back when they also owned Smith and Wesson.They often shared design's which is evident today, in the similarity of the Taurus's and S&W revolvers.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What good is gun control if the scum just take a 6 hour drive to Virginia and buy all they want there. The honest citizens are the ones that lose out because they cannot legally defend themselves. Although the laws are now extremely tight there are so many illegal guns in NYC. (probably just as many as the legal ones in Texas). I remember in 1994 the NYPD confiscated over 2200 illegal handguns. That's in one year. Now just imagine how many are really out there.

·
Registered
625 Posts
With the Taurus you may find that the trigger action isn't quite as smooth as with a Smith, but they aren't bad. I would rank them right up there with a ruger. Anyway, I agree with some of the above in that Taurus does make a fine handgun. I can't see any reason NOT to buy it if you think it will fit your needs. I'm a wimp, so I don't see ME buying an ultra-light .44 Mag., but you seem to not be concerned with recoil. I am presently considering a Raging Bull or M44 for a backup for hunting, and will be getting the .44 Mag. But, those are significantly heavier than the one you are considering.

I think we would all love a range report once you purchase it.

Todd

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
Yeah, well, my comment about gun control was meant to be sarcastic. :D

I've been following the happenings in Venezuela lately. They have total gun control and the highest gun murder rate in the world. Only the police are allowed to legally buy guns there. Of course it don't help that most of the police are crooks. A resource .... http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00963.html And, I don't think the Venesuelans are running to Virginia for their guns.

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
Todd, I'll match my M85's or my 4" 66 with ANY smith for smooth out of the box trigger in DA or SA. Now, my older 3" with the older hammer block lock work is rough and has a little creep to the SA I don't like. It's not up to many Smiths, or the one's I've owned, but the newer transfer bar lock work, in my experience, is the equal. My M85 is SO slick, I don't know that I've ever owned a better DA trigger. It's FAR better than any 642 Smith I've fired.

Ruger's are rough and stiff and usually stagey by comparison, but are easy to slick up nicely. I really think Taurus has it together with the newer guns. The older ones in the 80s were a notch behind in trigger, but since the redesigned lock work, they're very competitive right out of the box, at least, in my experience. I have a very nice M10 Smith built in the 60s, very slick action, but I cannot say it's better than my 4" Taurus 66 and it doesn't compare to the M85. Maybe I just got a couple of good ones, but my examples are pretty impressive. But, even my older 3" gun is quite shootable and my Rossis I've owned, while most of them had a better single action, the DAs weren't up to that older Taurus. Even the Rossis were decent, though, shootable. Actually, all 6 Rossi revolver triggers aren't so much gritty as they are stiff. They're pretty smooth, with the exeption of that little .22. The DA on that thing is pretty rough, LOL.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree in regard to the 642. The trigger is stiff and not as smooth as I'd like. Not bad, just not great. Now, the trigger on my 686 is as good as I have felt anywhere. The Taurus 605 I had had a farily good trigger, and would rank probably as good as my 642, but not as good as the 686.

I agree that Taurus has really gotten their act together in the last few years.

Todd

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
A buddy shot an Ultra Light 44 the same time I tried a 44 Tracker. He's a big guy and no stranger to magnum handguns and his main comment was that it needed porting to help control the flip. I wasn't willing to try it.

Steelheart

·
Registered
89 Posts
NYPDinArizona: What does having been shot have to do with recoil? ??? I never could understand why anyone would want a light weight, large bore revolver. The recoil is rediculous...and unless you just want to waste a couple of seconds attempting to get back on target with your second shot...I would not recommend it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
.44mag that weighs as much as a Glock is a great idea IMO :D

btw the trigger on my Raging Bull (same frame as Multi) is great; SA is VERY light, with no overtravel whatsoever, and DA is quite smoooth and not that heavy (for a DA pulll of course) with no creep.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Being shot has absolutely nothing to do with recoil. All I was saying was I am not afraid of the recoil. Gun manufacturers do thorough testing on firearms before releasing them for sale. I'm sure if the Multi was useless or ridiculous Taurus would not have pushed it into the market. In the end it is all about how an individual is capable of handling a weapon. I have a S&W Airlite 340PD which weighs a little under 12 ounces. I regularly use .357 ammo in all bullet weights at the range and have no problem getting back on target immediately. 12 ounces with a .357 load or 28 ounces with a 44 mag---is there really that much difference? In my opinion, no. But I will let you all know what happens.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up the 44 Ultralite from my dealer today. Unfortunately, the front fiber optic sight was nowhere to be found. It was totally missing. Dealer sent it back to Taurus and I should have it within 3 weeks---hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
35,598 Posts
Heck, light as it is, if you get a good IWB like the Sparks summer special for it, you could carry this thing concealed. It's a little over my limit in size for summer wear, though, and I'd probably carry that M340. :D I've fired an airlite in .357. I'm thinkin' I'll like my new Ruger SP101 I should be getting in a few days a lot better. LOL! That was one kickin' MULE with 125 grain full power loads and the fireball can singe your eyebrows. ROFL! The SP101 is more manageable to me as snubs go. But, the SP101 isn't exactly a pocket gun like the 340. I'll have to carry it IWB, but it should be light on the hip.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.