Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of moving from a .357 mag to a .44 mag, but am getting confused over ammo size. In the .357 mag I know I can use either 38 special or .357 mag; but not .357 mag in a .38 special.

1. How about the .44 size. From what I can read in these forums the .44 Mag; the .44 S&W Magnum; the .44 Remington Magnum are the same, only with difference names. Is this true?

2. How about the .44 Special; the .44 S&W Special; and the USA Cowboy pistol 44 special. Are all three of these also the same, and can be used in the .44 mag revolver? (From what I have read the .44 mag size won't fit into a .44 special handgun due to its length?)

In addition to buying a .44 mag I've been looking at ammo prices and hence the questions. Is the .44 mag just as available as the .357 / .38 specials? I am not looking into reloads, just factory loads.

Thanks in advance for any comments / suggestions.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
tomas said:
Been thinking of moving from a .357 mag to a .44 mag, but am getting confused over ammo size. In the .357 mag I know I can use either 38 special or .357 mag; but not .357 mag in a .38 special.

1. How about the .44 size. From what I can read in these forums the .44 Mag; the .44 S&W Magnum; the .44 Remington Magnum are the same, only with difference names. Is this true?

2. How about the .44 Special; the .44 S&W Special; and the USA Cowboy pistol 44 special. Are all three of these also the same, and can be used in the .44 mag revolver? (From what I have read the .44 mag size won't fit into a .44 special handgun due to its length?)

3.In addition to buying a .44 mag I've been looking at ammo prices and hence the questions. Is the .44 mag just as available as the .357 / .38 specials? I am not looking into reloads, just factory loads.
1.Yes, it is true...all three mentioned are 44 magnum rounds and are identical

2.You are correct....just like the 357 mag accepts 38 specials, the 44 mag accepts 44 specials (But not the reverse). Yes all three of the above can be used in a 44 mag (Although I would stay away from those cowboy loads unless you're into cowboy action shooting)

3.The 44 magnum load is produced by all major ammunition manufacturers and is widely available.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
never heard of .44 s&w mag all the reloading manuals use .44 rem mag. theres .44 special, .44 mag and they will interchange. You also have 44-40 which is found in the colts and replicas but they shouldn't be used in the .44 mag. Ther are some wildcats in the manual, but I have never seen either gun or cartrdge in real life. the only other .44 is .44 rimfire an obsolete gun and cartridge.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
The origins of the 44 Mag are legendary as most people know. When Elmer Keith urged S&W and Remington to produce a revolver and round in 44 Mag the S&W Model 29 was born (as a prototype) along with the 44 Remington Magnum load. Unfortunately for S&W, Ruger beat them to the table and chambered the SA Blackhawk in 44 Magnum which was put into production before the Model 29. The rounds were labeled 44 Rem Magnum. I'm quite sure if the Model 29 was mass produced before the Blackhawk then the name would have been 44 S&W Magnum.

Same round, just different names.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Oh yeah I forgot about those others I love the 44 russian pistols, in my opinon they are some of the best 19th century revolvers. As for .44 mag ammo prices, expect to pay. A box of federal 24 gr is going for around $30 for a 50 round box and some of the fancy is stuff is sold in boxes of 20 for $15- $30 depending on the brand. A couple years back i used to get PMC 240 gr jacketed sp for about $15-$20 a box but I think pmc is out of buisiness, I can't seem to find it anymore and I loved that ammo, it was stout enough to remind you that your shooting a .44 and it was accurate. I found some sites that still carry it but I am not willing to pay their prices yet. If you get a .44, reloading is the way to go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts