Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Lyman Carbide 3 die set

Votes: 1 5.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to purchase a .44 mag die set. (3Die Set)
(A) Hornady Nitride set
(B) Lee Carbide set
(C) Lyman Carbide set

Which would you recommend and why? They all have good ratings. They are all under $50 bucks at Midway.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
They will be used with a Lee Single stage press.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have the Hornady set that i use with my Lee classic and they work well. I would say look online, alot of times you can find them for sale from others for cheaper; picked mine up new in box for 30 from someone who never got around to using them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
I voted Lee because you also mentioned previously of upgrading at some point to a turret or progressive like the Breech Lock Pro. The Lee dies will allow you to add a Lee powder measure such as an Auto Disk or Auto Drum when you get to that point..

Reactions: Lomax and Bruntson

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
It's six of one, half a dozen of the other as far as I'm concerned.

All have a solid rep. All are quality products. That means it comes to personal preference. It ain't like you can go wrong with any of them.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
I bought the Hornady 44 dies for no particular reason, other than I sent in the rebate and got a box of 44 special XTP's for free. IMO, no brand has any particular advantage over another, I've used Lee, Hornady, RCBS, and one or two others, and they're all good.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
969 Posts
I voted LEE since there were only 3 options. There is nothing more important for building great loads than your dies!

So what I wish I could have voted for, and I load with the LEE Classic Turret Press, the dies would be the REDDING Titanium Carbide and absolutely their Profile Crimp die. The 4 die set.;)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
Everyone will vote for their favorite which will most likely be Lee due to lower price. Nothing wrong with that, Lee makes a darn good die set. I voted Lyman because I'm still using the 44mag/spl set I bought back in the early eighties. I have all three plus some RCBS and Redding in various calibers. I've had good service from all of them.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
The Lee's aren't as cheap as they look. Don't forget to add in the cost of the Breech Lock Bushings.....They are $8.50/2 from my favorite Lee seller so that's another $17.00 plus shipping (which might be combined).

In theory, you can just use one bushing and leave it in the press and screw them in and out, but in practice it tends to wallow out the recess for the detent after some use. Then your bushing will be a bit loose.

I voted Hornady. I like their seating dies with the alignment sleeve. I've used plenty of Lee dies and the only time I've had trouble with them it was the seating die that caused it, and the Hornady die fixed it.

But I end up buying Lee powder-through-expander dies because I use their measures.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I used to use nothing but RCBS dies. They didn't hold up on .233/5.56. Just to get quick set I bought Lee. Since then I bought Lee for 9mm and .44 magnum. Both are very accurate so I would say they work.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,426 Posts
I have RCBS set up for LRN and Lee set up for JHP. I wouldn't have a problem if they were set the other way around. But I try not to fix, what isn't broke.
You forgot:
D. All Of The Above

·
Super Moderator
38,036 Posts
I just set up my Lee 44 Magnum turret to crank out some rounds tonight.

Reactions: texastaurusguy

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I voted for Lee - I don't (yet) have a .44 Magnum but for most of my other Lee dies, I picked up hornady locking rings to keep my lengths set for things load a lot of and don't fiddle with the seating depth very often, like .223 and 9mm. Definitely get a set of Lee quick-change bushings for each die unless you really like screwing dies in an out :) - definitely worth the investment (and still way under the price of Lyman dies!).

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I would keep looking. I have always used RCBS as I found them to be the best until I bought some Dillon dies they are by far the best in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
38,036 Posts
Not having used anything but lee, I still believe that any manufacturer will give you parts that will last a lifetime and if defects occur, they are famous for replacing them no questions asked. As long as you are getting a standard 7/8" x 14 thread I would shop them by price.

Reactions: MoKen

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
I voted for Lee - I don't (yet) have a .44 Magnum but for most of my other Lee dies, I picked up hornady locking rings to keep my lengths set for things load a lot of and don't fiddle with the seating depth very often, like .223 and 9mm. Definitely get a set of Lee quick-change bushings for each die unless you really like screwing dies in an out :) - definitely worth the investment (and still way under the price of Lyman dies!).
Another thing a lot of people do....replace the Lee lock rings with Hornady rings. I do too. If they gave you good lock rings with Lee dies you really don't need the Breech Lock bushings. OK the bushings save you 20 seconds each die change but with a single stage press, that's not significant.

Basically they sell you Breech Lock bushings instead of giving you a ring that locks to the die like every other manufacturer.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I have used all of the major manufacturer dies, and they all work. Currently I have been getting Hornady dies as they are usually only about $5 more than the Lees, I like the seating die over any of the others, and most important, they currently come with a rebate for 100 bullets of your choice. Depending on which bullets you choose they are worth more than the $5 difference with the Lees.

These are the bullets offered for rebate. They are all either XTP for pistol, or Spire Points for hunting, no FMJ this time. BTW, all of my Hornady rebates came within 6 weeks of me sending in the form. My RCBS bullet rebate never came.

22 CAL .224 55 GR SP W/C | Item #2266
6MM .243 100 GR BTSP | Item #2453
6.5MM .264 129 GR SP | Item #2620
270 CAL .277 130 GR SP | Item #2730
7MM .284 139 GR BTSP | Item #2825
30 CAL .308 150 GR SP | Item #3031
9MM .355 115 GR XTP | Item #35540
38 CAL .357 110 GR XTP | Item #35700
10MM .400 155 GR XTP | Item #40000
44 CAL .430 180 GR XTP | Item #44050
45 CAL .451 185 GR XTP | Item #45100

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Another thing a lot of people do....replace the Lee lock rings with Hornady rings. I do too. If they gave you good lock rings with Lee dies you really don't need the Breech Lock bushings. OK the bushings save you 20 seconds each die change but with a single stage press, that's not significant.

Basically they sell you Breech Lock bushings instead of giving you a ring that locks to the die like every other manufacturer.
I was going to mention this as well. I always replace my lock rings with Hornady. I keep two packages of lock rings in my drawer, so that when I need them I'll have them. They are the Rolls Royce of lock rings, IMO.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Lee 3 die set PLUS a Lee FCD.
I don't get off on futzing around with adjusting stuff.
I like to set it once, and forget it so I can just crank out good quality ammo for a few cents a round without buckled cases, shaved bullets, etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts