Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found an older local add for a Stainless 3" 431 .44 spl. I reached out to see if he still had it. He did... so I asked if he wanted to trade for a SP101 .38+P I recently traded for... he does.

He lives over an hour away so we are meeting 1/2 way tomorrow. The two pictures I saw looked clean with a Pachmayr Gripper grip on it. He said the lock up is tight.

I started a new found love for the 44spl cartridge with an old Charter Arms Bulldog over the past 6 months. I started reloading 6gr of Unique with a 240gr LSWC. I didn't want to push the envelope too hard with the 19oz Bulldog. The 431 looks heavier duty so maybe I can???

I'm trying not to get too excited yet. I have about $250 into the Ruger, so I think this will fit my needs better than a .38.

Attachments

·
32,481 Posts
The Taurus 431/441 models can take a bit more pressure than the Charter Arms revolver, but are not to be used with very high pressure loads that a Freedom Arms or .44 magnum revolver can take. That said there was a member here a few years back who took a large feral hog with his home recipe load and a 6" barrel revolver which was a 441, the 431's brother.

I own several 431's and use conventional commercial defense loads in them.

https://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/taurus-revolvers/73951-hog-kill-taurus-441-a.html

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I agree with Qwiks draw. The Taurus 431 and Rossi 720 are pretty comparable in terms of quality and construction.
I've never seen a 431 damaged by hot loads, but I've seen a couple of the Rossi 720s that were "shot loose" from too many hot rounds.
It'll probably hold up to hot loads better than the Charter Arms would, just by virtue of being a bit heavier built, but I wouldn't load and shoot a lot of edge-of-the-performance-envelope ammo through either one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I don't plan on blowing it up. I hope it is more comfortable to shoot, and more robust in the long run. I don't think the Bulldog will fall apart, but a light gun isn't a fun thing after 50 rounds.

IF the Taurus 431 is the same quality as a 70's era Taurus 66 I had recently, it should be nice.

·
Administrator
35,117 Posts
Congrats, I would have made that trade too. I always wanted a 431, and still do, it's a really well made revolver and it would go great with my Rossi 720. Welcome to the forum ! :wave:

·
Super Moderator
13,781 Posts
You done good with that .44. I realized, a short time ago, that I lack a revolver in my small barn, so I'm in the market. Welcome to TA.net from New Mexico.

·
Super Moderator
35,553 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! While the Ruger is a great gun, for the money part I think that you did really well and if it fits the caliber you want...so much the sweeter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trade was made! Here it is next to my current Bulldog. I'm picking up a stainless Bulldog tonight.

I'm very pleased with the action & trigger on the 431. The Pachmayr Grippers cover the backstrap. Make the gun feel like a Smith 66 my Dad had while I was growing up in the 80's.

Attachments

·
21,962 Posts
Now that's a nice revolver. You done good. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
You made out very well on that trade.You will love shooting it as well.

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
Welcome aboard from the "GunShine"state of Florida.

State of over 2 MILLION 21 THOUSAND Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

If you ever get tired of either of those .44's PM me and we'll do some horse trading.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Grips:

I have the Grippers and a set of Hogue rubber grips and a set of Pachmayr 1/2 rubber/ 1/2 wood grips. The gun has a square butt. I think these grips are all too large and I wish I had a round butt, but beggers can't be choosers. So, short of making this a round butt...we will make due!

I have read somewhere that Smith K/L frame grips may work, others say no. Has anyone actually tried? If so, what part doesn't fit?

I was thinking of putting a vintage set of Jay Scott or Sile service style laminate grips from a K frame on it. If it is just the matter of re-drilling the index pin, that won't be a problem.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts