Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 431 square butt with a Pachmayr Gripper grip that covers the backstrap. The grip is a full size grip like my Dad had on his S&W 686 back in the 80's.

The big grip is comfortable to hold onto but is too big for concealment. I wish this gun had a round butt. I am thinking of carefully converting it to a round butt.

In the meantime, I have been looking for Smith K frame square butt grips which are more concealable.

My Grippers came torn on the backstrap, so I thought I would carve them up. The grips have a metal support that needs to be sawed. I dressed up the bottom on my belt / disc sander. The grip is much more compact now. Who knows if I will keep them on for long, but for now I dig it.

I am fairly positive a S&W K frame square butt grip will fit- with an enlargement to the index pin hole.

Anyone have a set of K frame wood grips or Pachmayr Presentation grips they want to donate to the cause?

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why won't it fit? I have seen some people have modified the index pin hole. I'd love to see some pictures if you have any.

·
Registered
345 Posts
IMHO, I would seriously consider NOT "carefully converting it to a round butt" ��. (You'd lose resale value for sure �� ). Much more reasonable to mod a grip ��. While I'm sure that there are those that carry .44 cal revolvers in the concealed mode, for most, not a first choice. While .44 Special isn't .44Mag, I'm still thinking that a full sized grip might be necessary for proper grip and recoil management. Just "Google" Taurus 431 and you'll find plenty of grip options ��. Personally, I like the look of the Pachmayr grips �� and now I'm thinking that I need to start looking for a .44 cal revolver. Thanks ��.
Flex

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ordered a pair of laminated wood service grips for a K frame S&W. I will post pictures and my experiences converting it, or posting if it doesn't work.

I also shoot & carry a 19oz Bulldog 44, which is almost 1/2 the weight of this 35oz 431. The Pachmayr grip helps the light gun.

Fun project regardless.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I ordered a pair of laminated wood service grips for a K frame S&W. I will post pictures and my experiences converting it, or posting if it doesn't work.

I also shoot & carry a 19oz Bulldog 44, which is almost 1/2 the weight of this 35oz 431. The Pachmayr grip helps the light gun.

Fun project regardless.
Not sure that I can imagine just what shooting that 19 oz Bulldog .44 feels like but CAN imagine that one cylinder-full would be enough for the day!!! I'll be following your progress on your project.
Flex

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
The Taurus website has the wood factory grips for the 431. No fitting required.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
These are for a S&W square butt snub, like a model 15, and I can't remember the brand for sure (maybe Eagle?), but if you were willing to re-drill the cross pin hole (or just remove the cross-pin from your grip frame altogether) they would probably be just the thing. If you can find a set on Gunbroker maybe?
15WithBootGripsRtSide.JPG
15WithBootGripsLftSide.JPG

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The K frame Sile grips finally arrived. The grips are a different contour than the Taurus frame. See pictures to see what I'm referring to.

A rubber grip or a grip with full coverage instead of a service grip from a K frame may work. My friend is giving me a Uncle Mikes K frame grip tomorrow. I will let you know!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No one would say why they wouldn't fit. In fact, some posts on the internet said the size of the index pin is the only difference and that could be drilled out. K frame grips are more plentiful and Altamont and others don't make grips for the old Taurus medium frame guns. It isn't a "fixation", it is tinkering to see what fits. And now it is posted so others can see WHY it won't fit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The K Frame Uncle Mike's grips from my friend won't fit either, due to the front of the grip frame. So, neither a wrap around K frame rubber grip nor a Service style K frame will work. Just an FYI. The index pin doesn't even come into the equation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts