Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got around to setting up and casting some for my old Argentine Rolling Block. I use very soft alloy, just lead and a little tin to help the alloy flow better for more complete fill in the big single cavity. Had to heat my furnace and drain my smokeless alloy and then melt a batch of more or less pure lead. Got to casting and got about 150 or so good boolits. Single cavity and waiting to make sure it cools enough to keep the mold from over heating makes for slow going. Lyman 439186, beautiful bullet, shoots good and is a lot of fun in the old rifle.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Almost 50 years ago, the old Interarmco (full page ads in the Rifleman as "Ye Olde Hunter, 0 Prince St., Alexandria, VA) had steel drum loads of grade 2 .43 Rolling Blocks for $10 each, or 3/$25. My friend and I bought them in quantity, as well as Grade 2 and 3 Moisin-Nagants, .303 SMLE, and even some 7mm Rolling Blocks. They also had cheap grade #2 .43 Spanish, 7.62x54R, 7x57, and .303 ammo that we bought by the military can or wooden case. We cleaned up the rifles, fixed them up by swapping parts, kept the best, and sold the rest and the leftover parts at the frequent gun shows at the Greenbelt Armory in Greenbelt, MD. For the mid-60's (pre-GCA '68, we made quite a bit of money doing that, took some of our profits, and went back to Interarmco.

One of our best hauls was two cases of like-new Spanish Astra pistols (with holsters and extra magazines) that would shoot just about any 9mm load (Largo, Parabellum, etc.) because they held the rounds in their very stout extractors, rather than headspacing them on the length of the case. They were very stiff, packed in cosmoline, and a hoot to shoot. They had a round cylindrical long slide, and looked almost like a futuristic squirt gun. We paid under $20 each, cleaned them up, and sold them for about $50 all day long. 50 years ago, a $30 markup/profit per unit was quite good.

1astra600-032171_7.jpg

The .43 Spanish is a lot of fun to shoot, as is the 7x57 Rolling Block. Many years ago I sold my last .43 with my last few coffee-cans of .43 ammo for a large profit, but I will not give up my 7x57 Rolling Block.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at a 7MM RB last weekend. Dated 1902, don't remember the markings or contract #. Nice old gun, unmolested, with bayonet and what looked to be an original sling. Priced a $1050.00. I passed on one for 300$ about 10 years ago. OH WELL!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts