Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and haven't found this particular issue yet. I just bought a blued Judge with 2 1/2 inch chamber. I had a box of Federal 000 buck and tried two of them out in the Judge. One of the empties was completely in half, as in the part that remained in the cylinder was about 1.25 inches long, the rest of the plastic was GONE. The second round had a definite ring at about the same point. Anyone else seen this. Wondering if the Judge normally has a forcing cone of some sort in the cylinder and maybe mine wasn't tapered correctly. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins... Wish I could help, but never heard of that problem before..

·
Registered
31,700 Posts
The forcing cone would have nothing to do with the shell being cut in half. Most likely, the shell was partially cut when you placed it in the cylinder! The forcing cone is the rearward part of the barrel.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky! Never had that problem with my Judge. I would take some more shells out and try to bend them where they are failing at. What you are describing isnt the guns problem.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
The cylinder is chambered for the .45 colt round. Open the cylinder and hold it up to a light and you can see where the chamber ends and the throat starts. The guns are chambered that way to keep a 454 round from being chambered and fired in the guns. It is not unusual to see the ring at the end of the chamber imprinted into the plastic hull of fired .410 shells. I have not had any to come apart but it is possible. On a side note years ago it was common in some areas for hunters to cut or ring shotgun shells. The hull was cut in the area between the shot and powder over the wads. It was not cut all the way and on firing the hull separated and the forward half held the shot together like a slug. A bird shot shell became a deer slug. The damage the rounds did on impact was worse than slugs. They will not work in a rifled barrel or a revolver like the Judge. The rifled barrels slows the hull and the shot opens the shell crimp and leaves the hull. Sometimes the hull exits the barrel sometimes it does not. The forcing cone in the revolvers causes the crimp to open. For the chamber ring to cut the plastic hull would get my attention. The chamber mouth is usually rounded in this area. Should a cut hull stay in the barrel and cylinder the gun is locked. Barrel only and it is an obstruction.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
In my mis-spent, moronic youth, I used to do this to 12 gauge shells intentionally. It worked and didn't blow me up, thankfully. It was a single shot 16 gauge, so I could look down the barrel after the shot, at least thought of that. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe that the problem is exactly where the chamber/throat transition takes place. The remainder of the shell looks like it ends there. I'm wondering if this is supposed to be a smooth transition, or very abrupt like mine is now. I am concerned that this could cause a barrel obstruction. I've looked at the other rounds from the box and didn't see any obvious defects. I will "light check" them tonight and see if anything shows up. I am also going to fire a few rounds from different manufacturers and see if the same issue shows up. Funny about the "shot slug" made by scoring a shotgun shell. An older gentleman was telling me the same thing just before I read that.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
A friend had ask about doing cut shells in a Judge. We tried several different type and shot sizes in his 2",barrel and my 3" barrel Judge. The hulls cleared the barrel every time with both guns. They also had the crimps open and just spray shot most of the time. I would just stay with the factory loads as they come.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I've not experienced this problem with either Judge that I have owned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, yesterday I tried two other .410 loads, the Winchester PDX1 and a load of #6 shot. None of these shells separated. All of the rounds fired had an indention around the hull, but it was fairly shallow. Maybe this isn't a huge issue as long as I stay away from the Federal 000 Buck.

·
Registered
339 Posts
probaly a bit of a sharp edge at the end of the 45Colt chamber, witch would land a bit back from the middle of a 2 1/2" shell, the pressure of firing would cause it to cut through the plastic hull. you could try and smooth it out a bit, but it will probably improve if you just shoot some 45LC through it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Kinda OT but let me ask. I havent shot any 410 in my Judge yet so am still up in the air. Ive been
told that plasitc 410 hulls with the linear striations stick something terrrible (because those ridges
expand and make the hull 'larger') and have to be pushed out with a dowel after firing.

Can anyone comment on whether its true or is this just an old wives tale?

Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts