Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what's the recoil like with 3in .410ga from a handgun (Judge). Never fired a gun in that chambering (not even a shotgun :-[ ) so have no clue...esp compared to .45Colt (standard load not the hot .44mag wanabie)

·
Registered
124 Posts
With the shotshells it's more of a push then your typical snap up and back of your average pistol. It's not bad by any means.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Not bad by any means...kinda pleasant actually. It is more of a "push" rearward than a snap with muzzle flip. Very, very easy to get back on target. (Not like you'd have to get back on target with a shotshell) ;D

As far as slugs go I don't use 'em any longer since the only 410 slugs you can get are rifled. Rifled slugs do not fare very well in a rifled barrel. Now if someone could only make a sabot slug in 410 gauge.....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Friends,
My wife purchased The Judge for herself.
The recoil kicks the barrel up about three inches when my wife fires .410 #6 shot loads from a modified Weaver Stance.

In regard to slug loading in .410, the .45LC seems a better choice.
I grouped .45LC loads at three inches on point of aim, hand held from seven yards.

I like this revolver so much that I have ordered another one so we can shoot together.
Q

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am resurrecting this thread to get some input on the recoil. I've never fired either the .410 or the .45LC in a revolver. I have a fair amount of experience with 9 mm and .40 S&W in a pistol and .38 S&W and .357 in a revolver (2" and 4" barrels). So how does the Judge compare with the above calibers in recoil? Would one wish to do 50+ rounds at the range?
Thanks, WTM

·
Registered
579 Posts
The 45 Long Colt is comparable. You would be comfortable firing 50 at the range. I would probably not fire 50 410 shells as that is when you get the recoil. I have the Ultra Lite 3" so it probably has a little more recoil that the others.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have shot the 410/45lc derringers and we can put some shells away with that so I think when I get the chance to pick up the Judge it will be decent to shoot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm really mulling this purchase of the Judge or getting .357 lever carbine. Obviously different primary uses. WTM

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had the opportunity to fire one today. Actually it was a new pistol and I fired the first 5 rounds from it: 3 .45lc and 2 410 rounds The grip seems to be comfortable. The trigger isn't bad. Target acquisition was good with the Hi-Viz front sight. It seemed to group reasonably well at 15 yards with the .45lc rounds. I had 410 pellets all over my target board. I didn't think the recoil was bad for a light pistol shooting snappy loads, but I did notice a bit of bruising on my right middle finger after 5 rounds. If I do this again, I'll have to contemplate my grip a bit more.

I'm not sure I'd buy one for a day of fun shooting at the range, but it would make a heck of an attention-getter for home defense. Overall, not bad.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
I have the long barrel version. When I got it with the ribber grip, I noticed the middle finger, got up behind the trigger guard. This was very uncomfortable, and made my finger sore after only a few rounds whether I was using 410, or 45 colt. I found a set of Hogue grips for it that filled the section behind the trigger guard, and have never looked back. But it did change my grip on the gun for the better.

It is also easier to load from a soft speed loader "no hard ones were available to me for 5 round of 45" with the hogue grip which was cut back a little more.

410's as all the information tells you spread to beat heck, but from 7 yards in you can make a heck of a mark with #6 or #9 shot. I have not been able to find 000 buck shot locally to try that. I want to but no one has had any in stock.

With either the 45 JHP, or 45 cowboy lead loads the function has been great, and even with the gap between the chamber and the start of the rifling my accuracy has been very good. "after I learned how to use this thing.

I might add, that I was away from shooting for almost 40 years. Now I have THE JUDGE, and the PT111 Pro, boy do those two seem to shoot differently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts