Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my JUDGE for over a month and need to hear from other owners in reference to 410 Ammo you are using.
I have tried many different kinds of ammo and 99% wont fit in the cylinder!!!
The shell bottoms out on the reduction area of the cylinder.
I can file or sand the cases and get them to fit.......................but once fired I must use a cleaning rod to get the empties back out!
I called TAURUS and they said they use Winchester #4. That dictates pattern...........I agree. But what would that have to do with the casing outer diameter. Anyway I havn't found any yet.
The Remingtons are the only ones that seat like they should.
I wonder if I have a bad cylinder???????????????????? :???:
So, that is why I need some feedback ASAP.

BTW: All the 45LC works great!!
-JD

·
Registered
8 Posts
My wife and I have one standard weight and one light weight Judge Revolver.
I have used different brands of .410 in each revolver.
All rounds chamber easily and quickly
One thought: If you have shot with .45 Colt, have you brass scrubbed the cylinder afterwards?
I simply do not know whether or not the .45 Colt will leave a residue inside the cylinder.
I would return the revolver and ask for an explanation.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
99% of 410 ammo WILL fit in my Judge. The only problem I had was with Sellier & Belliot because the front of their hulls were deformed. Everything else I've used---from Remington, Winchester, Federal....from #8 birdshot all the way up to 000 buck loads----functions perfectly.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My Judge chambers all Winchester .410's of all size loads... Only when the chambers get fouled from shooting Black Powder .45LC's does a .410 get sticky from all the crud... I keep a .50 cal. Brass Brush in my range box to brush out them chambers if they start getting fouled... You may find them to be tight ejecting when Firing a Five Round Burst in two seconds, and ejecting immediately in the next two seconds on dirty chambers before the Hot expanded Plastic Case has a chance to cool and shrink a little...

1) You have to have a .50 cal Brush for them chambers...!!! And Brush the Sheet out of them...!!!
2) .45 cal Brush is for the Barrel...!!!
3) .45's should FALL in and out... And .410's should be a slip fit with little resistance...

You would not be the First Gunner that may have a Gun that "Missed" the Final Factory Finish on the Chambers... ( you should take it back... .410's should slide in on a clean chamber )(easy job for a smith to polish them chambers)...

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
+1 on what SgtKnuckles said. Every type and load of 410's in and out fine in mine. But I did have to clean the cylinder after firing a few boxes of Cowboy loads, some were BP type.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not talking AFTER it has been fired................I'm talking from day one!!!
I wanted to see what kind of patterns I could get so I bought up every variant I could find.
And only the Remington Shells would seat beyond the ring in the cylinder.
Thinking that plastic shells (that some showed the pellet impressions) were not as smooth as needed to be, I bought some solid metal rounds.......SAME STORY>
Today I am going to take mine to a local gun show and compare it to the ones I saw on display yesterday.
First thing I am going to do is buy a Snap Cap to use for cylinder fit.
They might frown on me trying LIVE AMMO!!!! ;)
As far as cleaning I use a 12 gauge bore brush.
I'll let everyone know what I find out at the gun show!
-JD

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back from the Gun Show.
I looked at 5 or 6 different guns and they all looked the same as mine.
I couldnt put a live round in anything so I couldn't check the tolerances.
I did find snap caps but they are tapered more than a 410 shell...........so they fit fine.
I guess I must call TAURUS tomorrow.
OH WELL!

·
Registered
279 Posts
i had problems with my 617 doing the same thing. i sent it back and from what it looks like they polished the cylinders and the recoil shield. it seemed to me that they just left the headspace and cylinder mouths a little too tight prior to sending mine out the first time but it works great now.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to TAURUS Customer service this morning and explained my problem.
They listened and didn't brow beat me or anything............they just listened.
Anyway the conversation ended with the solution for me to return the weapon to them for repair (or whatever).
They didn't admit to anything and it doesn't really matter, all I want is for it to function.
So now the countdown until I'm in business as originally intended to be!
Needless to say I will keep everyone posted.

CLOCK TICKING.................. :rolleyes:
TICK - 10AM August 4th 2008 - Shipped to Factory in FL via UPS (cost $15.50). :-X

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
THE JUDGE said:
CLOCK TICKING.................. :rolleyes:
TICK - 10AM August 8th 2008 - Shipped to Factory in FL via UPS (cost $15.50). :-X
August 8th?? Are we travelling forward in time or am I just 4 days behind? :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why I have no idea what you are talking about, it's only the 4th!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Thats what I get for not looking at the calendar. :)
Actually when you are retired...........you don't really care what time it is as long as you woke up this morning and saw your own face in the mirror. :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
~Your Going To Get "THE FACTORY REAM JOB"~

~The cylinder throat on a revolver plays an important part in revolver accuracy~
~Brownells' Cylinder Throat Reamer for .45 Colt Revolvers~
http://www.gunblast.com/Brownells_Reamer.htm

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
THE JUDGE said:
Why I have no idea what you are talking about, it's only the 4th!!!!!! :rolleyes:
Thats what I get for not looking at the calendar. :)
Actually when you are retired...........you don't really care what time it is as long as you woke up this morning and saw your own face in the mirror. :D
Well in addition to seeing my face, I breath on it to make sure I am still breathing too, and not half dead!! :eek:Gee, I hate getting up in the morning. :mad: I never have gotten to sleep late, even after I retired. :(

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep...............A "Factory Ream Job"..................THAT's what I'm talking 'bout!!!!!!!
Thanks for the link to the article.
And yes I did put the wrong date for the clock to start ticking..................Edit is the word for today!
Us "Old Folks" never know the right time either....................

Just for everyones information.........................
Being an "Old Folk" I want to share something with everyone that you may not know..............

Ever wonder why "Old Folks" drive so slow??????????????..........................They forgot where they were going!!!! :D

Also, Did you ever wonder why some of US OLD FOLKS drive so fast??????????????...........................
We don't want to forget where we are going!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
35,622 Posts
THE JUDGE said:
They didn't admit to anything and it doesn't really matter, all I want is for it to function.
Well, I wouldn't really expect them to confess anything just yet....for all they know, you're a newbie thats trying to shove a 410 shell in rim first. Give them a chance, they usually do you right. ;)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, I am reasonably patient. Things happen................
I bought my wife a 605 and it has been so many years I don't recall when I bought it and NEVER had a problem either.
In fact, speaking of mechanical items.................My Ruger SR9 has a recall on it before I got it broken in also!
I hope my CC S&W 442CT doesn't develope any problems or I'll have to dig my 1911A1 Race Gun out!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Just a heads up, I sent my PT111 in on July 10th and it's still not back. But I didn't expect it to be quick. BTW, Taurus payed the shipping costs for me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
356 Posts
yes sir it is always good to be on the right side of the grass

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think I've said this is a bunch of threads now...

Winchester Super X in the silver boxes all the way. The plastic hull is red smooth, so the shot doesn't buldge it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts