Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
8,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The first gun I purchased was a Beretta 85 back in 1978. I had it for a few years, but ended up trading it for sporterized Enfield MK4. I sold that to help fund my wedding to Ginger. There ensued a long drought of no guns, for one reason or another. But about 5 years ago, I was able to start collecting again. Since then its been "Katie bar the door". One thing that kept nagging at me , was replacing that first love, a Beretta 85F.
MMMM.jpg
Well it only took 40 years but I finally brought another 85 home. This one from Classic Firearms sold as a Italian police surplus. The price was $349 plus $17 shipping and a $15 transfer fee. So for $381 I regained my youth...Ok..ok I know that didn't happen, but while shooting today the memories of 1978 came rumbling back. Well except the long hair. :p It is funny , I still remember some of the muscle memory and site alignment from then. So this pistol felt familiar and shot very well.
P1030166MM.jpg
This Italian philly weighs in at 22.9 oz's with an empty mag, 25.3 oz's with 8 rounds of 90grn JHP's. DA trigger pull is a long smooth pull about an inch long, with a crisp break at 9lbs. The SA reset is 1/4" long with a crisp 5lb break. It is 6 3/4 inches long, 1 1/2 inches wide at the safeties, and 4 1/2 inches tall. The 85F has a fixed front site with a white dot, the rear sight is a bucket with notched blade setup, and a white bar. The sights are perfectly aligned taking all the guess work out of the POA/POI learning process. One thing I don't like is all the white billboards on the pistol.
P1030168MM.jpg
This pistol only came with one magazine , I have another coming in, so I only ran 100 rounds through it today. The slide finish is about 95% and the internals looked very good. The aluminum alloy frame has no marks or wear. This is not one of the easier 380's to rack a slide on, but doable for me. With front and backstrap grip line texturing and the well checkered plastic OEM grips, it was pretty easy to keep it reigned in today in the warm, humid NW Arkansas air today.
P1030172MM.jpg
I ran 50 rounds of Fiocchi and Remington UMC brass ball each and 16 rounds of Fiocchi 90grn XTP defense ammo through it today. I did have 2 fail to feeds ( the last round stood up) causing a jam. I imagine the magazine feed lips need a little attention. I will wait for the other mag to come in and test before I do any bending on the feed lips. It shoot very smooth and accuracy was outstanding. The targets above were shot at 10 yards, 15 yards, and 25 yards. With the 85F's accuracy potential, light weight, and smallish dimensions it would make an good carry pistol with the right ammo of course. However I already have carry covered, so it is going to be a range toy with a neat back story. Unless the wife gets ahold of it, then who knows. Currently I got her distracted fawning over my new Mossberg 930 pro Jerry Miculek 12ga auto shotgun. Man that is an amazing shotgun, a review will be coming soon. I ran 50 rounds though it today, and no shoulder pain, I ran one set with the 9 rounds in the tube in just over 2 seconds. incredible!!!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
A man after my own heart. I found my second 85 a year ago for 400 bucks. I, too, regained my youth save the hair. After, I went nuts and bought two 84's and another 85. I'm keeping them all! Now that my grip strength is declining, they are perfect for my needs.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'm not saying you're as, uh, graceful as I am but-just in case-Brownell's has guide rods for this pistol and they are very inexpensive. Oddly enough, I found one on the windowsill in my basement when I moved, and another embedded in a large box near my loading bench. There are some really clever reassembly instructions I can send the link for if you need them. And wear safety glasses when cleaning.

·
22,981 Posts
Cool story and an interesting pistol!

Attachments

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Great story! Great gun!

Congrats!

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
Great looking "new" Beretta!

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Nice to see you reunited with your first ever pistol, and a gorgeous one at that.

As a fan of classic firearms and the .380 ACP cartridge, I salute you for your excellent taste.

·
Administrator
18,192 Posts
Very very Nice!!! :cool: Congratulations on acquiring another Beretta 85 and may it serve you well! :smile:

Were I to ever become dependent on the .380 ACP cartridge, a Beretta 85 would certainly be my first choice.
Years ago, when I was just getting into handguns, I owned a Browning BDA, which was made for Browning by Beretta, on Beretta's 84/85 platform frame.
While I liked it, I never fell in love with it, and later traded it off for yet another .45 EAA Witness.
I have often thought about buying a Beretta 85, as I like the design, but that's about as far as I've gotten with it, so far.

PPKS_BDA_380s.jpg
Browning BDA .380 and Interarms U.S. Made Walther PPK/S .380

·
Registered
220 Posts
Congrats and thanks for the review. Some time I will go and buy a Beretta myself.
I do love my 380 ACP and still carry it from time to time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts