Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into 10mm and available auto pistols the question I asked myself is how close can I come to 10mm performance with .40S&W handloads? I'm aware that there might be a lot of factors against this but thought I'd ask. :-\

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
2sofflead, first off, I hope you are aware that .40 caliber & 10mm use the
same diameter projectile. If you already knew that, sorry for the repetition.
The shell casings for 10mm are somewhat longer than the casings for .40 cal.
You cannot chamber a 10mm round into a .40 caliber pistol.

Now, I have to admit that I am by no means an expert on reloading.
But, I have done lots of reloading for .40 caliber, that being my favorite
caliber. 10mm uses a bit more powder than .40S&W. So, if you're trying
to approach 10mm performance with .40cal., you might be treading on very
dangerous ground.

I know this is not quite an accurate comparison; but I have always considered
10mm sort of like a .40cal. magnum. Again, this may not be an accurate
analogy. But 10mm has quite a bit more power than .40cal. I would stay with
safe loads for .40caliber.

If your budget can handle it, just go out and buy yourself a decent 10mm
pistol, & be done with it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
The 10mm was developed long before he 40cal was even thought of. The 40cal was originally called a 10mm kurtz (meaning 10mm short). And later renamed the 40cal. S&W after the company that made the first pistols chambered for it.

The 40cal in its basic load is only a tad stronger then a 9mm in its basic load (no matter what BS you read). An accurate comparison of the 40cal and 10mm would be the 22cal and 22 short... I have never considered loading a 40cal to 10mm pressure and without looking at the data, I am not sure I would want to or even why? Basically if the 40cal won't do what you want or need buy a real 10mm or go for a wheelgun in anything above 357mag.

I have nothing against the 40cal, I just have no use for it either. My 9mm and 45cal pistols do all I could want and if they where to fail I do have my fathers LAR Grizzle in 357mag

·
Super Moderator
35,020 Posts
An accurate comparison of the 40cal and 10mm would be the 22cal and 22 short... I have never considered loading a 40cal to 10mm pressure and without looking at the data
Not really. A more accurate comparison would be .380 vs 9mm. .380 is 9mmx17mm and 9 is 9mm x 19mm, longer cartridge and loaded to much higher pressures. The .40 was developed to mimic the new FBI 10mm light load that was developed to push a 200 grain bullet at 950 fps, or something like that, after the Miami shoot out and all the fall out over the hardware after that, never mind it was a software problem that got those agents killed, but not enough room to get into all that. The FBI decided they needed to get something better penetrating than the 9 and went with a 10, but female and slight of build agents has a hard time with the full power 10mm, so they downloaded it.

The 10 is chambered in big frame guns that are a bit hard to conceal. Smith and Wesson shortened the case, lowered the pressure to produce FBI 10mm load ballistics, and put the cartridge in a 9mm platform, high cap, just a slightly smaller round count per magazine. If you were going to neuter the 10, no reason it needed that big of a case.

Me, I don't own a 10 or a .40. Really don't get excited about .40 and I prefer revolvers for outdoor use. The 10 is an excellent round for outdoor use, hunting, gives about 800 ft lbs or almost in a typical 5" gun and can handle heavy bullets. It's just a matter of finding an auto chucker than can shoot accurately enough for that power to be useful afield. I've fired the Glock 20. I don't really like Glock's trigger, but it was pretty accurate. If Ruger ever came out with the P90 in 10mm, I might bite. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,020 Posts
BTW, when you look at that FBI requirement, 200 grain bullet at 950 fps, ain't like that's never been done before. Ever heard of the .45 ACP? Loaded to it's original design potential, the 10mm is the most powerful round available in a service sized pistol. It's WAY more powerful than any .45ACP load. However, cutting it back to .40 Smith velocities does nothing that hasn't already been done.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I agree with locknload, splurge and get yourself a 10mm because you won't regret it. In revolver or auto form it's a great round and there are 40 conversion barrels and moon clips that allow the use of the 40 depending on what firearm you end up getting. It's better to go down in power versus up and the versatility is nice.

·
Registered
846 Posts
LOCKNLOAD,
I have aquestion for you sir. You seem to like the .40 as I do and I have 2 a 24/7 PRO SS and a PT140 SS. I am just getting back into reloading after a long absence. I just about got my brass supply built up. So I like to know what powder make you seem to have the best luck with on this caliber? Thinking of a Blue Dot or a Unique.

·
Registered
77 Posts
not to hijack your question but hodgdon longshot is the stuff .400 users dream of.the hodgdon sight lists the 135 nosler at almost 1500 fps with it.it also works well in 10mm.the starting 180 load chronoed 1200fps from my 4" S&W 610

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hey texas shooter, I really cannot answer your question accurately.
That's because the only powder I have ever used is the Winchester
W231 powder. So, I do not have any other powder to make a decent
comparison.

Fact is, I never got around to trying any other powder than the w231.
It's possible that you may come across other shooters on the forum, that
have used different powders.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hey thanks to you both gives me 2 more to look into, I'm always lookin for new ideas and advice.

·
Registered
846 Posts
dont need 10mm .40 is good enough for self defense to many people think more is better but you have to consider by standers if you do ever have to use the weapon, a .40 even medium load will stop anyone

·
Registered
539 Posts
40 is a great self-defense round, no doubt about it. However, 'needing' and 'wanting' are two entirely separate qualities and boy do I like shooting my 10mm's! If I carry my S&W 610 or Delta Elite I use the moon clips or conversion barrel and pack the 40. As a matter-of-fact, is anyone aware of a company who makes conversion barrels for the S&W 10mm line of autos?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Very true, we always want what we ain"t got I guess, been there.

·
Super Moderator
35,020 Posts
The problem is the SAAMI working pressure limits for .40 and 10. The .40 is hottest with lighter bullets loaded into the 550 ft lb range. With heavies, it reaches mid 400 ft lb range. The 10 with its higher working pressures will push a 200 grain bullet in the 750 ft lb range, right up there with the hottest heavy .357 magnum loads and approaching 41 mag territory. The two cartridges are WAY different and one should not try to make a .357 out of a .38, to use another caliber analogy. If it's a ten you want, go buy a 10 and don't blow up a nice gun trying to make it a ten.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts