Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? I was at Walmart today and grabbed the cheapest box of shells on the shelf as usual for my PT140. The Remington UMC rounds were about 60 bucks for 250 (seemed like a good deal). About halfway through the first fifty I started having problems. Originally I thought i had shattered my firing pin, the hammer would fall, but no BANG. On closer investigation I noticed that a small section of the strike spot on the shell had actually sheared off and was stuck next to my firing pin, so I blew on it and it came right out. This continued to happen through the next 50 i fired periodically. I just wanted to know if anyone had had a similar problem.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I occasional shoot the UMC in other calibers with no noticeable trouble. Any chance of getting a pick for us to look at?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of the duds, no. Unfortunately I tossed em in the dud can at the range.

·
Registered
846 Posts
All I can say is that as a new owner of a 24/7 pro ss ( 5 months) and a new member I have shot over 300 rounds of the UMC amo and no problems with it or the gun. In fact that is what I and the Ms. both qualified with (180gr.) for our CCL. In fact outa 10 people only (he furnished if needed) 2 others brought their own guns some brought ammo for his guns all other than ours were 9mm. There was different makes of guns and ammo, Glocks, Smiths, Winchester, etc. After we shot 100 rounds between us ( Ms. and I) our ammo and the Taurus were the ONLY jamb free one there that day!!!!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I am wondering if your firing pin could be a tad out of spec, as in to long and punching the primer?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Sounds like the pin is piercing the primer, and the heat from the pimer going off is making it grab onto the pin. It could happen. I buy those 300 packs in .223 and in .45 and I shoot them all the time, that has never happened with remington.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have not used the umc most of the time i use the whitebox winchester, So far in my pt-145 and my pt-1911 no problems. I did have a couple from a box of federal but none since.

·
Registered
846 Posts
He just left us hanging on this, should would like a follow up WarriorS. on how it all came out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
just my $0.02 on UMC. It is my understanding that the Remy UMC's are the cartridges that didn't make the cut or are the left overs. In my experience they have been hit or miss (no pun intended), you could have success or not. I prefer to not chance it and stick to magtech with my autoloaders. I will use umc in my revolvers , only if it is given to me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just changed ammo and havent had a problem since! thanks guys

·
Registered
39 Posts
Can't add much other than all I use at the range is UMC. Boxes of 250 around here are about 52 bucks. Every once and a while Dick's will have a special, but wally world is usually the cheapest.

I've put around 3000 rounds of remington UMC through my .40 24/7 SS and only had 2 not fire. First one was a dud flat out, the second did fire on the second trigger pull.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I've shot a bunch outa the PT140 and 24/7 never a single problem. But i've never had a problem with either gun also. Just shot my first reloads will post results in new thread. SWEET!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts