Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
10,439 Posts
I feel like the .40 Millennium is a nice compromise between the 9mm and the .45 acp Millenniums. Thoughts?

Absolutely!

I have all three, and am torn between the PT140 Mil Pro and the PT145 Mil Pro. All are the stainless models.
If I had to pick ONLY ONE, it would be the .45.

On duty I carry a Ruger SR1911 which is in .45, but off duty I now carry either a S&W Shield in .40 (also my primary BUG) or a Ruger SR40C, obviously both in .40 .

Prior to carrying these .40 pistols off duty or as a BUG (back up gun), I carried a Taurus PT709 and then a Ruger LC9, followed by a PT740.

After observing a ballistics demo, and having prior experience with .40 pistols, I decided to upgrade from 9mm to .40 for off duty and backup use.

I looked at a PT745, and tried one at the range, but was not very impressed with it. IF S&W came out with a Shield in .45, or Ruger with with a SR45C (they just announced an SR45), they would probably replace my .40 carry guns.

Still, provided yo have no problems with the recoil of the .40, it is an excellent choice.

· Registered
20,098 Posts
I shoot 9 and 40 in competition and for HD/SD. 45 will be added into the fold in the coming year. 10mm and 357 Sig are a bit out of the mainstream for me ( though I see Sig for sale on sights that have little else available). I look hard at 10 all the time though. Shoot em all and see what fits you and the guns that you want to use! My .02.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love this .40. Recoil is more manageable than the slim 709. That's me I'm sure. Smaller grip. I see so many touting the .45. Feels like it is the one that everyone either has or talks about. Just wondering if I missed something. Given that any of these calibers will do what there supposed to do, I'm kinda ok with the .40. There all great!!

· Registered
20,098 Posts
I think .40 ammo should be cheaper.
I think ALL ammo should be cheaper!! Enough with trillions of dollars of national debt - let's have ammo allowances for qualified individuals to keep the malitia in tune!!

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Makes sense. My gun friends like the .45 for the same reasons. Not sure I'd like to be hit with a .22 let alone bigger. But I'm a wimp. Not really. LOL.

For now the 140 is it. My wife is looking cross eyed at me as it is. She's not a gun person. But she could learn. 19 years of marriage, I'm sure she has probable cause.

· Registered
222 Posts
I use the PT140 as my EDC and I've come to really like it.It's got the power and accuracy that I'm looking for and as far as recoil,yes it's a snappy round but nothing you can't deal with.Every time I shoot mine I get better with it! morayman......

Reactions: Wino

· Registered
8,812 Posts
I like the .40 and plan to add a S&W SD40VE to my collection.

· Registered
676 Posts
The .40 will be my second gun purchase...maybe if I can't find 9mm, I'd have a better chance finding 40s. :confused:

· Registered
30,381 Posts
I like the bigger bullet. The .40 is higher velocity, but the .45 is bigger and heavier. I believe in the "big slow bullet" theory of stopping power.
Soooo... a bowling ball has 27 times the momentum of a .45 and 33% more energy (thrown by an average to decent bowler).
BTW - did you hear about the woman in Utah injured when a 12'x9' boulder crashed through her bedroom wall (fortunately for her the shot placement was a bit off...)
Just fomenting a little... :D
But seriously, the phenomena we are interested in are very non-linear. Bigger isn't always better. Two factors control:
  • Run what you brung. The gun you have with you is much more effective than the one left at home.
  • Shoot what you can shoot well. Whether it is a matter of physical ability, psychology, or just that you can afford the practice ammo, it is more important that you can hit what you are shooting at than how hard you can miss.

Reactions: NavyAirdale

· Registered
120 Posts
Used a .40 cal Glock 22 when I was a LEO. I like the ballistics, its close to a .45 without the kick but good stats on one-shot stopping power. Now retired, I carry a 740 slim and love the gun. Just wish I could find more mags without getting ripped off so bad.
By the way, history has proven that shot placement is more important than ammo, unless of course you're shooting a 12 gauge with 00 buck :)

· Registered
3,046 Posts
Speaking of the big but slow .45. I sometimes have dreams/nightmares that when the time came to draw my weapon and defend myself that those big slow rounds never penetrate far enough to even make the bad guy notice.... the good part though, is that since I never leave home without it, it's always on my hip to draw, even though I sometimes wonder at the time if it's going to be there... weird huh? Don't laugh!

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.