Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me their experience with these pistols. I'm getting tired of chasing the spent brass from my SA pistols.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
I owned a Taurus m405 snubbie for a while. I liked it but it's a bit too snappy for me. I sold it to a good friend at a great price and he still enjoys shooting her. That being said, if Taurus made the 405 in a 4", I would prolly own one.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have a blued 405. I like it a lot! I've replaced the stock grips with a nice set of wooden grips from the Thai seller on eBay. I believe the larger footprint of the grip in my hand distributes the recoil more evenly, because it's not really that uncomfortable to shoot. I can definitely feel that I'm shooting more than a 9mm (I also have a Taurus 905), but it's not unreasonable.

I love this revolver! However, I do believe that the TK Custom moonclips are a must. I hate the flimsy stock Taurus moonclips that come with the gun.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback everybody. I'm going to keep an eye out for the .40 gun and give it a try. I can always sell or trade it if it doesn't grab me as a good fit.

·
Registered
9,171 Posts

I love my 405, while I would get punished by the stock grip it was still a darn accurate gun. I swapped out for a Hogue grip (#73000 for Tracker frames), and now I can shoot it all day without much fatigue. I don't bother using the clips at the range, brass falls out of mine relatively easy. I just keep my carry ammo in them because I don't like adjusting them from one brand of ammunition to another.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I can't speak to the Taurus M405, but I have a Charter Arms Pit bull in 40 and it shoots really, really well. Whatever you get I think you'll be happy.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I can't speak to the Taurus M405, but I have a Charter Arms Pit bull in 40 and it shoots really, really well. Whatever you get I think you'll be happy.
Do you have pics? Range report? I love my Charter Arms!

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
My favorite is the Vaquero .40 S&W convertible. Don't need moon clips because you can manually eject every round with the ejection rod.

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
Charter Arms makes their stainless steel "Pit Bull" revolver in 9 mm & .40 cal. neither of which require the use of moonclips because of their patented star extractor. I bought mine in 9mm and love it for those days I don't feel like bending/stooping down to pick up brass. This target was shot off hand at 15 yards. The vertical stringing was bad breath control on a hot Florida day. The second photo is a 50 shot composite at the same distance..:icon_ lala:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
I DO know what you mean. I've been exploring my options in 9mm for the same reason. I'm currently thinkin' of finding a .357 Blackhawk convertible with the 9mm cylinder, but know where there is a DAO Ruger LCR 9mm that's tempting.

I was mildly interested, for a while, in the 405 Taurus as a carry gun, being I like revolvers, but grew out of it when I looked at the ballistics. I thought the little round put up over 500 ft lb, but seems that's a bit out of the realm of the .40, so I got another .357 magnum snubby for carry. And, I mean really, much as with the 9mm, .40S&W auto pistols make a lot more sense for actual carry, but they do spread brass around and my old back just doesn't appreciate that aspect of auto pistols. :D

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
Though my 9mm Pit Bull has a 2.5" barrel I'm still getting 1,050 - 1,085 FPS from most premium brands of JHP's which is better than the 850 - 900 FPS I get from .38 spl. +P out of the same length barrel. That's comparing 124 gr. weight 9mm to 125 gr. 38 Spl. bullets...:icon_ lala:

·
Super Moderator
35,077 Posts
MOONDAWG, your revolver, and you, shoot VERY WELL! I'm impressed with that. I've given thought to the Pit Bull since it's come out. I might check with my LGS and see if he can order one and for how much. Do they make 'em in 4"? I'm not looking to carry, just to shoot on my back yard range. I have all this 9mm ammo, a Dillon set up for 9, tons of brand new brass and such, and don't shoot my 9s because of having to set up with the tarps and chase the brass. This would give me a lazy day 9. :D Any more, most every day is a lazy day for me. LOL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah it's chambered in 38-40 and 40 S&W, then there's a blackhawk convertible in 10mm as well. Unfortunately both of those are fairly rare and fetch close to $1000 when you see them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts