Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife did her range session for her ccw today, before she went i let her shoot a pt140 (which she took), and a pt908 (9mm), she prefered the 40 and wants to stick with it, but the instructor thought she would be better served to use a 9mm for recoil purposes as her quick fire sessions were very poor, but her aimed shot was outstanding. your opinions on that are encouraged.

my main question is how soft a load is available in the 40 and how will this effect bullet penetration etc. she shot reloaded ammo at the range and the only info i got on it is its ultramax 180gr fmj. i am not at all privy to bullet loads and reloads. could/should i have someone load lighter rounds for her, or is this completely counterproductive and should we just step down to a 9mm?

·
Registered
29 Posts
If she prefers the 40 than let her stick to it. For the lightest loads, I would ask your CCW instructor and your local gun shops to get a general idea.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
I would say that what she feels most comfortable with should be what she should stick with. However, how many scenarios, in a defensive mode, can you think of where you will have plenty of time to fire?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
My first thought is how much practice has she had with the 40? If she hasn't had much that might be a good place to start.

Also, if the gun is shifting in her hand in the rapid fire sessions, you could try adding some kind of traction material to help. I've used skateboard tape on one gun (just get a piece from a store that deals in skateboard repairs, mine was $10 for a board sized piece). Its fairly aggressive stuff and she might not like how it feels though. There is other products out there that would do the same thing but I can't think of what they are called, and I've got some around here we got for the gf's P9 (she hasn't shot it much since so I don't know if we'll end up putting it on or not).

Found it. Brooks Tactical Agrip. I got the 5x8 sheet so I could use it for more than 1 gun for the same price (yes, I admit it, I can be cheap/thrifty). I got mine from Dillion Precision. You could likely find it somewhere else with cheaper shipping though.
http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=55&min=0&dyn=1&

Steelheart

Steelheart

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think the main issue is practice for her, the gun is not beating her up, she went through 250 rounds just yesterday and i specifically asked if she was sore, and she was not. she had me go out last night to get her more ammo so she could practice more, at that hour my choices were walmart or walmart, so i got walmart, they are a lighter grain, so that may help. i am just happy she is taking the matter seriously. i was paranoid that i kept to many loaded guns in the home, but she felt that there were unarmed area's in our home yet, it sounds like the instructor spent allot of one on one time w/ her. she did shoot a 38 (chifs special) and 9mm (glock) at the range as well.

·
32,615 Posts
There are 165 grain mid range level rounds put out by Winchester and Federal. The caveat is there are full power loads that kick like a mule put out there by these companies as well. A trip to the Winchester and Federal web sites should give you the specs as to velocity and type so one can buy the lower velocity ones if desired. Any 180 grain load is moving at modest speeds anyway. That is what the .40 S&W cartridge pistols were designed around originally from the beginning. Either 165 or 180 grain bullets will penetrate and upset while giving a decent amount of performance on target. Speer and other companies have low velocity loads as well. A little research in magazines and at web sites of the ammo makers is in the works for the two of you.

·
32,615 Posts
Have to revise an earlier post. Federal has the 165 gr. Hydra shok ammo only. Remington has 165 gr. practice ammo under the UMC designation. The other companies have done away with the 165gr mid level power and velocity loads completely. The mid level loads are know in the 180 grain bullet weight. Lower weights are in the high velocity, and more recoil categories. So the recommendation stays with a 180 gr. load of your choice. While there is more mass and weight to the 180 grain bullet, the lower weights are loaded to higher pressures and velocities.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I may have read your post wrong, so correct me if I am wrong. Are you saying she shoots good with the .40 while doing careful, aiming shots, but not very well while doing quick firing exercises?

If the above is correct, then it seems to me that the flip of the muzzle isn't woking for her. Each gun and each caliber has its own signature muzzle flip. The .40 is no exception. If she can't get the gun back on target quickly enough, practice will probably help. However, you may want to put a .45 in her hand and let her try it. The push of a .45 usually results in less muzzle flip. but, again, it depends on the gun/format.

Todd

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes Bonedigger, that is correct. she shoots my 24/7 in 45 well, but thats to big a gun for her to hide. but i will let her practice more w/ it, maybe the answer is the pt145. she has shown improvement, but i try not to lord over her as she gets intimidated.

·
32,615 Posts
Switching her over to a 9x19 might be the answer. The 24/7 in 9mm. has all the right things that would fit her and let her get back on target and tolerate recoil and muzzle flip better. Less fatiguing to shoot or to hold. More enjoyment and ability to practice when using the smaller caliber are side benefits. This will install confidence as well. www.corneredcat.com has just this kind of data to help women pick a caliber and cartridge they can handle well. Might be worth a look.Why handicap her with guns she has trouble handling for different reasons. This is her choice. She does not need to shoot what you do. My daughter chose the CZ series pistol well and I was hoping she would go with other brands. Even a Taurus model of some sort.It is what fits her that counts and what she can enjoy and what meets her needs. She might gravitate towards the .40 S&W later. For know a .22lrf pistol or revolver might be good for getting the basics down. The NRA at www.nra.org has classes for women only.This exposes women to all the facets of shooting in a relaxed atmosphere. They are exposed to many types of shooting sports as well as firearm types. These take place once to several times a year in each state.Click on the Education and Training section area and this should give you what is in your area. Local shooting ranges, gun stores, and clubs should have accredited instructors that can introduce her to firearms one to one basis. So let her try other calibers that are easier on the person and one can enjoy learning and getting immersed in the shooting fraternity. You will both benefit and have another thing in common to enjoy together.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
QD's covered some good points there.

I'll just add that the main reason I primary carry is a 9mm is that is what we found worked for my gf (Kahr P9). I got my XD in 9mm so I only had 1 caliber to try to keep in stock in larger quantities. Plus this way she couldn't ask "If 9mm is good enough for me why are you using a 45?" She's never asked but I didn't want to have that discussion. And both guns are stoked with Corbon 115gr +P's.

Steelheart

·
32,615 Posts
Steelheart touches on some good points. If she goes to the 9x19, and if she has small hands, the Kahr series of pistols or the Smith&Wesson 908 and 3913 line of pistols are to be considered.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
One cheap solution not mentioned yet is a shooting glove. I bought a set of weight gloves from Wal Mart... fingers cut off, but padded palm... I use it to shoot the PT145 since the texture is pretty aggressive for a lot of shooting... don't matter when carried, but with 100 rounds at range it rubs. If the gun is loose in her hands, or she just needs a better grip... $10 is a pretty cheap option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts