Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had this 24/7 for a few months now, but only been able to shoot it three times. The first trip was fantastic. All shots groups well, and I had no FTF or FTE at all.

On the second trip, I started to have some nosedives. They all happened with Speer Lawman FMJ. The third trip, the nosedives were more pronounced... I couldn't make it through a magazine without at least three stoppages. This ammo has never failed to feed in any other pistol I own. When I got home, I took the mags apart and noticed that the follower was very tight in the body. They weren't slipping up and down very easily. Having had the same issue in a rimfire rifle I own, I sanded down the outer edges of the followers, making them a little slimmer. This had the effect of letting them slip up and down a lot easier. I haven't shot it since, but I'm hoping that this solved the problem.

I know the early .45's were prone to nosedives. Has anybody else suffered an unexplained rash of nosedives in the .40 version?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't try to put 15 rounds in my mags because round 15 is very tight. Also, with 15 in the mag it cannot be inserted into the weapon without a great deal of force, I've never done it.

Did you load 15 in a mag and force it into the gun?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kept it with 14 for the first few weeks, because it seemed to me that it was too tight for 15. When I called Taurus, I was told to go ahead and load 15, as that's what it was made for. What could happen by loading it to it's design load?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Always be sure that you are not forcing the lips of the mag to spread. Sometimes it is easy even when loading it to let the tight on just come up straight rather than feed forward... when you do, you are spreading the lips slightly and eventually cause nosedives.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've never heard that before. It's definitely something I'll have to remember. Next question would be what's that gap supposed to be, and how can I tell if the magazine feed lips are buggered?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts