Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my third Ruger P95. Can't help it, I keep getting drawn back to them. My first was about 1997 and was a DAO, sold it after a few years which was dumb. It had the Clinton era 10 round mags which always irritated me. My second was a standard double action decocker/safety, around 2006-ish? This had the proper 15 round mags, but I sold that too (and got my first Taurus). Now I got another decocker/safety model, blue, this one made sometime in early 2012 just as they were winding down production. It is in near new condition, looks like only one box of ammo was shot through it or so, and cost $225. Nice way to celebrate my birthday and my tax refund.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,131 Posts
Those things are "Hand Hogs" for sure. Big ole heavy pieces of plastic pistol that delivers round after round of shooting perfection. The safety lever itself is darn near the size of my new Beretta Pico....LOL!!

They are not necessarily a conceal carry choice by many for a reason. But, again, they do what they were designed to do time and time over and again some more.

These are what I taught my daughter to shoot with and she used one to qualify for her Texas CHL many years ago. I since sold that one...sound familiar? I kept out a watchful eye until I found a like new with the higher capacity magazines and purchased it a number of years back. It still resides in the lower dark corner of my safe.

Interestingly enough, a few months ago I took my daughter out shooting and brought along the Ruger as well as a few others. She no longer favors the Ruger but has rather laid claim to preferring my Tri-Star T100. That's fine I guess. Should I ever choose to let go of the Ruger there is always a welcoming aftermarket of buyers lying in wait.

Congratulations on your find, enjoy it and shoot it wisely!!! Be Careful out there.

·
Registered
259 Posts
In addition to a P 95, I have the "before polymer" P 93. Maybe the best shooter I have.
And, yes, they are a bit of a handful to carry but what fun to shoot.
Many at the range I go to have never seen one of these. So I get a lot of questions.
Even sent the P 93 back to Ruger last month to have the recoil rod replaced. Received it back with that done and ejector spring and sear replaced also.
Great service on this 1996 pistol.

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
WOW, excellent!! I had a P95 and I really liked it, light and small enough to carry, quite accurate. This was back when 15 round magazines were verboten. I shot IDPA with it for a while, what I bought it for. They limited guns to 10 rounds, so no biggy with the mags, but I just thought it cheesy to have a shortened mag with a plastic extension on it. Bill Clinton's legacy and it might be coming again, who knows.

Anyway, mine would jam once out of every hundred rounds, no matter the ammo. I couldn't figure it out, so I traded it for my little everyday carry, my M85SSUL. A guy I worked with wanted to sell his P85 for $225, so I bought that for IDPA and it never jams on anything at any time. :D I'm sure I just had an oddball P95. I otherwise really liked the little gun and would buy another one if it jumped at me for a good price. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
Those things are "Hand Hogs" for sure. Big ole heavy pieces of plastic pistol that delivers round after round of shooting perfection. The safety lever itself is darn near the size of my new Beretta Pico....LOL!!

They are not necessarily a conceal carry choice by many for a reason. But, again, they do what they were designed to do time and time over and again some more.

These are what I taught my daughter to shoot with and she used one to qualify for her Texas CHL many years ago. I since sold that one...sound familiar? I kept out a watchful eye until I found a like new with the higher capacity magazines and purchased it a number of years back. It still resides in the lower dark corner of my safe.

Interestingly enough, a few months ago I took my daughter out shooting and brought along the Ruger as well as a few others. She no longer favors the Ruger but has rather laid claim to preferring my Tri-Star T100. That's fine I guess. Should I ever choose to let go of the Ruger there is always a welcoming aftermarket of buyers lying in wait.

Congratulations on your find, enjoy it and shoot it wisely!!! Be Careful out there.
I carry my P90 and my P85 all the time, especially my P90. I consider the P90 the best P gun Ruger ever produced. Wonderful trigger and match grade accuracy. The P90 is the heaviest P gun I've owned and it's only 34 ounces thanks to the alloy frame. Lots of folks carry 1911s at over 40 ounces. The P95 was well under 30 ounces, something like 27. Heck, I've been carrying around a 34 ounce .22 all day today. :D With the right leather, you can carry a P95 all day in comfort.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I "like" the Ruger P guns, and have had 3 of them. A P89DC, a KP95, and finally, a P95DC. Good reliable guns, all of them. Heavy as tanks, tho', and for some weird reason, not a one of them was very accurate for me!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have a P94DC in 9mm and a P97DC in 45acp.
They are a bit on the large size, even for a FS gun.
But they are also great shooting, reliable, and sturdy firearms.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Thats a well built pistol for sooo little money !!!!

Great pistols .. I think over my years .. I pretty much owned all Ruger P series pistols except a model P91 & P93 .... The P97 , P90 & P95 being my favorite....

I'd still would like to have P93 DAO .....

·
Super Moderator
35,466 Posts
I "like" the Ruger P guns, and have had 3 of them. A P89DC, a KP95, and finally, a P95DC. Good reliable guns, all of them. Heavy as tanks, tho', and for some weird reason, not a one of them was very accurate for me!

They are actually light compared to many other handguns. My KP90DC is 34 ounces, my 4" Taurus 66 revolver is around 38 ounces. My 3" 66 is 34 ounces. 1911s push 40+ ounces. Heck, the new 3.5" Heritage Rough Rider I bought Sunday is 34 ounces! It's frame is zamak which weighs almost as much as lead. The gun itself is tiny, but it weighs as much as my KP90DC.

As I've stated, the P95 is around 27 ounces, shy of 30. Deal is, these guns have heavy slides and unloaded, they feel top heavy which gives the impression of more weight than rides on the hip. In the weight range of the P95 is a 605 at 25-26 ounces. Is that 605 "heavy"? With a load of 115 grain JHPs in the gun, of course, the weight goes up.

I usually carry the KP90DC when I go to the big cities. I'll admit the 34 ounces, just as with my 3" 66, is a little more than the 19 ounces of the 605 Poly I like to carry when I'm NOT headed somewhere where the gangs don't really roam. I am headed for LaGrange tomorrow. I'll just carry my 605 Poly, thanks. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts