Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a question folks. Replaced my PT145 Heinie sights for Williams Firesights and I love them, only problem is the front sight set screw has nowhere to set into. Look at the attached pics for details.
I'm thinking about drilling a very shallow hole or divot to where the set screw is now to give the screw a place to set into. Maybe a 32Nd's of inch deep or so. What do you more experienced guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,846 Posts
You may have been sold the wrong sights for your model.

However, your suggestion should remedy the problem.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Those are the correct sights, the set screw goes against the slide to the front as you have done. I wouldn't do any drilling on the slide. Any marks left from the sight should you decide to go back to factory will be covered by the factory sight. Mine are the same way.

Just put a dab of red loctite on the set screw once your sighted in to prevent it from backing out.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Have a question folks. Replaced my PT145 Heinie sights for Williams Firesights and I love them, only problem is the front sight set screw has nowhere to set into. Look at the attached pics for details.
I'm thinking about drilling a very shallow hole or divot to where the set screw is now to give the screw a place to set into. Maybe a 32Nd's of inch deep or so. What do you more experienced guys think?
I have installed several sets of Firesights on PT 145's. The front sight set screw is only to put an upward pressure on the sight in the dovetail to help secure it.
If iuse locktite, I use the weaker Locktite Blue, just in case i ever have to remove the sights.

If you want to check if you installed the correct sights (there are 3 different model numbers; 1 adjustable dovetail, 1 fixed dovetail, and 1 screw-on set), check the link below:

Pistol Fire Sight Sets by WILLIAMS Gun Sight Company, Inc.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I have mine set the other way, neither right or wrong but I don't worry about marks myself, it's a working gun I carry everyday during the winter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts