Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand my 3rd generation pt111 pro is supposed to be sa/da. And when there's a round in the chamber the trigger has a lot of dead space before firing. As I understand it, that dead space is the single action part of the equation. But when there's nothing in the chamber (ie. dry-firing, which I understand is fine for centerfire pistols) the trigger pull is much heavier all the way through. This is the double-action part, yes? Now, when the whole thing is empty and I bring the action back a quarter inch the trigger goes back to single action. My question is this - much as I respect the safety I would just as soon leave the gun loaded and in double-action mode, no safety but heavier first pull. But I can't figure out how to "uncock" the gun without emptying the chamber. Can someone tell me what I'm seeing and let me know if what I'm asking is possible?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Far as I know, no, it's not possible. This gun does not have a 'de-cocker', unfortunately. ( I have the same gun.) I looked at guns with de-cockers, but I just really liked the the PT111 pro look, feel & size... and the manual safety!

The DA really only comes into play if you have a light strike or other odd misfire - just pull the trigger again & it cocks & fires again in DA pull style..

I'm OK with it. Hope you will, too. The safety's pretty darn stable, in my opinion..

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
My PT145 is the same way. Been carrying it for around a year, one chambered with the safety on. Not a problem.

My PT111 is DAO, one in the chamber and no safety. I like that too. These two are just two different operating systems altogether.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So...short of a jam a second pull on a misfire should fire the round?

·
Administrator
40,361 Posts
That's the claim. I've never had a misfire in either pistol, so I can't speak from experience. But the double action strike is there and should work.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I had one fail to fire with WWB. The round wouldn't fire on the second pull, or when I recycled it in another mag. Too hard of primer.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a PT140.  I've had three fail-to-fire, all with Wolf ammo.  Two went bang on the second pull, one took three tries.  A local gun shop said it's because Wolf is military surplus, which has hard primers.  I've haven't used Wolf since. 

Nothing against Wolf ammo, my AK loved it.  My PT140 just doesn't seem to like it.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
44 Posts
AFAIK, the only striker-fired pistol with a decocker is the Walther P99. It has the same DA/SA capability as the Mill Pros, but no manual safety. It also has a striker cocked indicator (like an XD). However, for double the cost of a PT1xx, its trigger is certainly no better, IMHO.

·
Administrator
35,626 Posts
I just saw the ad for the 809 in SWAT magazine and it has an ambi decocker/safety. Is not striker fired but looks like a sweetheart of a gun.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Gunman77 said:
I have a PT140. I've had three fail-to-fire, all with Wolf ammo. Two went bang on the second pull, one took three tries. A local gun shop said it's because Wolf is military surplus, which has hard primers. I've haven't used Wolf since.

Nothing against Wolf ammo, my AK loved it. My PT140 just doesn't seem to like it.

Just my .02.
Same experience with a 3rd Gen. PT111 Mil. Pro and only had a problem with Wolf ammo, won't buy it anymore.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Any idea if they plan to add this feature to the mil-pro? I'm looking to get one, but if they plan to add a decocker, I may wait for that model.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Truth be told, I actually have gotten quite used to the single-action-unless-there's-a-problem trigger. I had worried about the safety in times of adrenaline and stress, but after only a little while it's become second nature to flick my thumb down over the safety when I pull it because the positioning is just *that good*.

I gotta say, as a n00b, the controls and feel of the mil-pro are fantastic - feels like it was built for my hand. Some of those Glocks, Kel-Tecs, and even S&Ws feel to me like they were built for function, with form as an afterthought. I think Taurus got it right. :)

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
tmountjr said:
Truth be told, I actually have gotten quite used to the single-action-unless-there's-a-problem trigger. I had worried about the safety in times of adrenaline and stress, but after only a little while it's become second nature to flick my thumb down over the safety when I pull it because the positioning is just *that good*.

I gotta say, as a n00b, the controls and feel of the mil-pro are fantastic - feels like it was built for my hand. Some of those Glocks, Kel-Tecs, and even S&Ws feel to me like they were built for function, with form as an afterthought. I think Taurus got it right. :)
I agree with the feeling of holding some of the other firearms that the form and fit was an afterthought.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts