Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I saw a few of the .380acp revolvers, I think the model is M380, and several questions entered my mind. I'm not necessarily against the idea, but I couldn't get a good image of the place for it. So, I'm interested in your thoughts...

Thanks,

·
Registered
666 Posts
my thought is.............................WHY?

Any revolver that is made for .380 could be made to take 9MM and be the same size and weight as the .380 model.

AFS
^This. Especially when you factor in the cost of .380 ammo vs. 9mm. It doesn't make sense to me. The .380 if fine for the little pocket guns, but in a 2 inch snubbie revolver I go for .357 magnum.

Reactions: whodog and stickem2

·
32,653 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
The velocities you see listed on 380 are actual velocities that you will get in the revolver...alot technlogical reseach has been done on the bullets and bullet performance on 380acp..so SD bullets in a 380 works well at those velocities.....
A 380 revolver would be a good choice for SD...than a 380 Semi...because of jamming issues or risk of jamming with the semi's....

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks for the link Qwiks draw. It was an interesting read, and while those points are all true, they are not compelling, at least not to me. I like the 380 for deep concealment, but the revolver vs the semi-auto, say the TCP-738, is I think, harder to conceal. No offense meant toward those desiring a 380 ACP revolver, but I just don't see the need for it. Then again, my wife doesn't think I need more than one of my handguns, rifles and shotguns. I don't want one because it doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure it does make sense to others. What ultimately drives the success or failure of any product offering is 1) does it work, and 2) will consumers buy it.

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
Why don't they just make a new .38 Special Short cartridge so the cylinder and frame length can be shortened? The extractor on a rimmed cartridge has got to be more reliable.

·
32,653 Posts
Thanks for the link Qwiks draw. It was an interesting read, and while those points are all true, they are not compelling, at least not to me. I like the 380 for deep concealment, but the revolver vs the semi-auto, say the TCP-738, is I think, harder to conceal. No offense meant toward those desiring a 380 ACP revolver, but I just don't see the need for it. Then again, my wife doesn't think I need more than one of my handguns, rifles and shotguns. I don't want one because it doesn't make sense to me. I'm sure it does make sense to others. What ultimately drives the success or failure of any product offering is 1) does it work, and 2) will consumers buy it.

There is a fine niche for the m380 and Taurus found it. How many more people out there that need or want one is hard to guess. :)

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
To get a new cartridge, you have to interest a major manufacturer. That's going to be hard to do with such a niche cartridge. If you want a smaller package, just make a .327 Magnum, five shot, revolver. The cylinder, normally the hardest spot to conceal, would be a good bit less in diameter than a snub .38 Special, and the performance wouldn't give anything up.

As for the .380 revolver, it's up to the manufacturer. I doubt that I'll ever own a .380, or 9mm, revolver, except as a collection item. I don't agree with the statement about a revolver saving anyone from jams. Revolvers set up for rimless cartridges have a long, and noisy, history of operational problems. If anything, I'd be more worried that the REVOLVER would be LESS functional than the semi-auto.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I suspect it is simply marketing and experimentation. LOTS of .380 buyers out there of semi-auto pistols for SD. It is generally accepted that revolvers are simpler and less prone to jams/failures than semi auto pistols - it make sense to me anyway to try a new revolver model that takes advantage of the popularity of the .380 ACP cartridge. Worse case scenario? Insufficient numbers of the thing will be sold and Taurus will drop it. Best case scenario, it becomes hugely popular and the marketing employee who suggested it will get a promotion. Then some other gun maker will copy it - lol

·
Registered
253 Posts
No interest when u can get a small .38 plus p

Reactions: whodog

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
If a person had a .380 (TCP, LCP, etc.) as a primary concealed carry pistol, then I could see wanting to buy a .380 revolver for say, a back-up gun.

You could use the same ammo in both the primary and secondary self-defense carry weapons.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I have a private range at home and often teach women to shoot. Some men and women limp wrist semi autos and they jam. Revolvers do not and are much more reliable for these people. For years the little Kel-tec 380 was the little go to pocket gun for women that could shoot them. A J frame size revolver for the ones that could not. The little Kel-Tec guns were much easier to hide and carry. For a small woman with small hands gun size and recoil is an issue. As to revolvers with moon or 1/2 moon clips having problems I must have been lucky for a lot of years. First big bore revolver was a model 1917 Smith surplus gun. Have no clue how many rounds I put through the gun back in the 60's. Guns and ammo was cheap and it was well used when I got it. Have owned revolvers that used moon clips all these years with no problems. Bought a few of the Taurus Trackers in 45 acp when they came out. Wish I had bought a few more. I carry 44's and 45's but they have too much size, weight and recoil for some. Taurus came out with the Judge and many called it a really dumb, useless product, that now Smith has copied.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
I bought my daughter the m380 as she already has the TCP .380. She loves it, and doesn't have to worry about different calibers for her guns. She does not like my 905 9mm revolvers (or any of my 9mm pistols, for that matter) because of the recoil. The recoil is noticeably less than the 9mms. There have been no problems concerning the stellar clips, other than tightening the gaps up in the clips w/ a flat screwdriver, and have no problems w/ FTF, FTE, etc. It's a niche gun, as mentioned, but it fits my daughter's needs.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
"If you want a smaller package, just make a .327 Magnum, five shot, revolver."

That was what I said. I know that the various .327 Magnum guns now in existence are six-shot, or greater. However, by making the gun a five shot, it would enable a manufacturer to reduce the cylinder diameter more, reducing the overall width.

As for the various moon-clips, they work wonderfully, as long as they maintain their tension, and aren't bent. I've seen several older S&Ws that had been well-used, and the moon clips barely held the rounds in place. No Jerry Miculek re-loads with them, as they didn't hold the rounds tight enough to fit straight in. I've also seen quite a few bent clips, and they tie up the revolver.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I think it's interesting, but I would only buy one just to have one. If I were looking for a revolver with less recoil but good punch, I would probably buy a 731. Or perhaps one of the .327s, because everyone seems to be getting rid of them for less money than buying a 731.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wouldn't think there'd be much of a market for a .380 revolver. My thinking is that the main reason there's a market, to the degree that it is, for the .380 semi-auto is because of the concealability factor at the expense of cartridge potency. Why then would anyone want to go to a revolver of that caliber when, like has already been mentioned, there are better, more potent, calibers that would conceal just as easily as a .380 revolver would?

Reactions: stickem2 and mwj999

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Why don't they just make a new .38 Special Short cartridge so the cylinder and frame length can be shortened? The extractor on a rimmed cartridge has got to be more reliable.
A 38spl Wadcutter revolver ..shorter cylinder and frame...good idea

1 - 20 of 58 Posts