Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife decided she wanted a pistol to keep in her desk at work(she works in a law office and deals with very irate people pretty regularly). We shopped around a little, she picked out a Bodyguard .380 with green Crimson Trace laser. She went to shoot it today and decided she absolutely hates it. Hates the sights, the trigger, the slide, the kick, everything I guess. Offered to trade her one of mine, a little Kel Tec P17, and she loves it. Now the question is, should I buy a couple ten round extended mags so i can actually get all my fingers on the grip, or should i just sell it and get something else?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
The wife decided she wanted a pistol to keep in her desk at work(she works in a law office and deals with very irate people pretty regularly). We shopped around a little, she picked out a Bodyguard .380 with green Crimson Trace laser. She went to shoot it today and decided she absolutely hates it. Hates the sights, the trigger, the slide, the kick, everything I guess. Offered to trade her one of mine, a little Kel Tec P17, and she loves it. Now the question is, should I buy a couple ten round extended mags so i can actually get all my fingers on the grip, or should i just sell it and get something else?
Going from a .380 Auto to the .22LR is quite a step down. It can most certainly put a hurt on someone, but being a rimfire, it is less dependable. Too bad she did not have the chance to shoot the S&W EZ380...what a nice shooting pistol.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yep, the BG is definitely not for everyone. I've heard reports on some of the newer ones having an even stronger trigger than the older ones. Mine was about 9 pounds when new and settled in at around 7-1/2 to 8. A friend in Texas tells me that his wife's new BG is over 12 pounds and she can't hit the side of a barn, even if shooting from inside. That must be how S&W cured the light strike issues I guess. I've always used mine as a backup and typically only fire a dozen rounds through it every few months.

I didn't know there was a 10 rounder made for it until I read your post. I might have to give one a try. As for gripping the BG, an extended mag would help a lot. You could always get a Hogue sleeve for it to see if that helps. My LCPII was very uncomfortable to shoot until I added a sleeve, now it feels somewhat like a larger pistol and is much better for extended range fun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She likes everything about the Kel Tec better, it is the most reliable 22 pistol I have ever shot, thing eats everything I have put through it except the quiet rounds. Loaded with Mini Mags, I think it will be reliable enough. I showed her the Ez, but the kick on the .380 turned her off to bigger rounds, at least for now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, the BG is definitely not for everyone. I've heard reports on some of the newer ones having an even stronger trigger than the older ones. Mine was about 9 pounds when new and settled in at around 7-1/2 to 8. A friend in Texas tells me that his wife's new BG is over 12 pounds and she can't hit the side of a barn, even if shooting from inside. That must be how S&W cured the light strike issues I guess. I've always used mine as a backup and typically only fire a dozen rounds through it every few months.

I didn't know there was a 10 rounder made for it until I read your post. I might have to give one a try. As for gripping the BG, an extended mag would help a lot. You could always get a Hogue sleeve for it to see if that helps. My LCPII was very uncomfortable to shoot until I added a sleeve, now it feels somewhat like a larger pistol and is much better for extended range fun.
I haven't thought about a sleeve. May try that. Found ten round mags at Midway for under 20 bucks, if I keep it I may just get a sleeve and a couple long mags. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Wow. I never get between what a woman likes or dislikes. I have a .380 Bodyguard and I have none of those problems except the trigger pull suck. Try a Kel-Tec P11 for trigger pull. The S&W EZ .380 is sweet. My wife and my veterinarian love theirs.

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
I've not shot a Bodyguard but I own a Ruger LCP. Under the best of circumstances, in a small 380 package, recoil is going to be snappy. That's what usually turns women off of those guns. Has she tried something like the S&W Shield in 9mm? I love mine and recoil doesn't seem that bad to me. That would be a good size gun for her to carry with her. The trigger is really what sells the gun though, unlike my old Keltec PF9, the Shield has a trigger that is smooth all the way to the point where it breaks to fire.

Bottom line, there are probably many good guns that she might like. If your target range rents guns, you should try some with her and see what she likes, or even can tolerate, and what she doesn't care for. Personally, I would stick to 9mm but that's just me. IMO, it's the floor for critical self defense work.

Reactions: jwc007

·
8,324 Posts
Bodyguards are a challenge to shoot. Maybe consider a S&W model 60 , not an airweight but an all steel J frame. Lite 38 special loads like the Hornady pinks are perfect for a gal.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
My everyday carry was the little BG380. I also have a couple of the Taurus Curve, a Beretta Pico Glock 42 to choose from in 380.

To be honest with you none of them are fun to shoot. Little frames offer little grip, if you put on an extension magazine then it feels and looks unbalanced. The report felt in the palm of your hand is often a sting to the nerves of the hand.

However, you don't purchase one of these for the fun and thrill of shooting. They serve a purpose, which is personal protection at close range. Many time the trigger pull is pretty stout due to not having a manual safety. A heavy trigger pull in its own way is a safety factor. Think of how many "Glock Leg" accidents could happen with a small pocket pistol that has no manual safety and a light pull trigger.

The Body Guard is a very accurate pistol even as slightly beyond personal protection distances as is the Glock 42.

Not that it matters, but you may have noticed that I stated above that the BG WAS my EDC choice. It does still travel with me quite often, but has been replaced with a Beretta Nano 9mm. The Nano does not have a manual safety, but it does have the ability to disconnect the trigger from the firing pin. To engage the trigger function the slide need to be slid rearward approx. 1/8".

·
Registered
576 Posts
A case study in why it makes sense to rent or borrow a gun and shoot it before buying if possible. My wife thought she had to have a "little" gun until she shot my TCP,. She ended up with a PT-22 and I won't begin a .22 self-defense rant. Fortunately during a visit to Cabela's, a female gun clerk had my wife ready to walk out right there with a S&W 380 Shield EZ. Having seen her shoot some of my center-fire pistols, I insisted we rent one first. So we found a range that had one and took it for a spin. She was totally taken back by the initial blast (she's so used to shooting rimfire) she almost gave up on it before the first magazine was empty. She persevered and soon grew more comfortable with it and found it truly was "EZ". Easy to load, rack and fire and the recoil was very manageable so we ended up buying the pistol.

I have a M&P BG380 that is often in my pocket. To me, a 10-round magazine would limit the concealability of it and I typically question non-OEM magazines anyway. I like mine, but can understand why it might not be everyone's cup of tea. I recommend you give it some range time and see if you can get used to it. Micro carry handguns are not often (ever?) easy, or pleasant to shoot, or shoot well. They do have a purpose though.

·
17,571 Posts
It's really a shame Taurus discontinued the PT638. Whenever a similar situation happens to me I pull out the PT638 and everybody loves it. But they are now too hard to find.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
It's really a shame Taurus discontinued the PT638. Whenever a similar situation happens to me I pull out the PT638 and everybody loves it. But they are now too hard to find.

and like MOST short lived Taurus semi, If you do have one you may have to use it as a single shot due to the magazine situation!

Reactions: glenwolde

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Look at a Ruger LCR or LCRX in .327 Federal Magnum. You can download it with anyone of several 32 rounds. For me, I stick with .327 Federal Magnum.

·
17,571 Posts
and like MOST short lived Taurus semi, If you do have one you may have to use it as a single shot due to the magazine situation!
I learned my lesson. I check for magazines first and then order a bunch. I'm set for PT638 magazines.

·
17,571 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I have decided to just keep the pistol. A buddy, who is left handed like me, showed me a way he learned to use his middle finger to work the mag release, will take some getting used to, but I'll work it out. Just won't use the safety. Thanks for all the responses.

·
32,481 Posts
This is about what fits here and her needs. Take her to the range, rent or try out as many guns as possible. It sounds like compact frame gun might be called for and stay away from the pocket pistols.

There are one or two exceptions to that. The exceptions: Beretta 3032 Tomcat in .32 ACP and the Zasatava 70 in that same caliber. Both are more powerful and capable than the .22lrf. I've got examples of both and are user friendly. The Tomcat is more user friendly of the two.

I do have the PLY-22 and the PT-22. Those have been regulated to the back up sometimes pistols. The Taurus PT732s are the main guns or backup all the time guns.

·
Registered
36,023 Posts
I quit trying to guess what a new shooter would like, I am like maybe 2 for 40-or 50 in that category!
seriously a few handguns that have seemed to be winners with quite a few newbies that i have assisted is.
The Sig 238 (380), the S & W EZ in both 380 and 9 MM, and the fairly new to the game Sig 365 for that smaller 9 MM.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts