Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching for Load Data for .380 95 Grain LRN with Bullseye powder. Found one source that says 2.0 to 3.4 grains. Seems like a pretty big range. I have read in several places that in short barrel pistols you can use same data for FMJ with LRN. Any truth to this? I have found three sources that list 3.0 to 3.2 grains for 95 grain FMJ.

Current plan is to start with 2.8 grains and work up from there.

Anyone else loading 95 grain LRN with Bullseye powder?

·
17,581 Posts
I've loaded 3.0 gr and 3.2 gr with a cast 95 gr lead bullet for my TCP. I had a few misfires, but they both cycled fine. Felt pretty mild. I think I need to play with the OAL a bit. The misfires might have been because the round fell a little too far in. Might have been my crimp. The bullet I used has a little shoulder on it. Seated out just a tad further the shoulder would engage the leade better. I've also acquired a taper crimp die for the .380

I just loaded 20 rounds of each each to try it out. You should be O.K. substituting a lead bullet for a FMJ (but not the other way around). Lead bullets should offer less resistance than the FMJ, reducing pressures a bit compared to the harder bullet.

I have a lot of experience with loading for revolvers, less so for autos. I'm just starting to work my way through the .380. I plan on loading some more this weekend. I've got some 231 I want to try also.

·
Registered
36,032 Posts
I have been searching for Load Data for .380 95 Grain LRN with Bullseye powder. Found one source that says 2.0 to 3.4 grains. Seems like a pretty big range. I have read in several places that in short barrel pistols you can use same data for FMJ with LRN. Any truth to this? I have found three sources that list 3.0 to 3.2 grains for 95 grain FMJ.
Current plan is to start with 2.8 grains and work up from there.
Anyone else loading 95 grain LRN with Bullseye powder?
Yea, I am with you, the loading may be correct but i am not use to seeing a 1.4 grain difference in MIN-MAX in a small case like the.380.
I don't do bullseye but with Unique i recently worked up loads for the Gold DOT 95 grain, the Remington Golden Sabre 102 grain and the all copper 80 grain HP and the min was .3 (notice the point) difference in MIN and Max, it worked out that pressure began to show at .2 (notice the point) above Min starting loads.

·
Administrator
17,595 Posts
Have used 2.8 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot, and now 3.0 grains of WST, with a 95 grn Cast LRN. All worked well and were accurate. Velocity runs about 820 fps from my Walther PPK/S which is fine for a practice/Target load.

·
Super Moderator
40,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have used 2.8 grains of Bullseye or Red Dot, and now 3.0 grains of WST, with a 95 grn Cast LRN. All worked well and were accurate. Velocity runs about 820 fps from my Walther PPK/S which is fine for a practice/Target load.
Thanks, I loaded up 5 with 2.8, 2.9, and 3.0. Have not had time to test fire yet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts