Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm sure the questions been asked before, is .38 super +p okay to shoot in pt1911 ar. the manual that came with the pistol only cover .45 acp. maybe they stuck the wrong manual in the box, i don't know. any help or advice on ammo choice would be appreciated:eek:.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Im not 100% sure but someone that is will be along shortly I can promise you that. My thought would be yes but if your worried and dont get a for sure answer than I would just call Taurus and ask.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
.38 Super is also designated as .38 Super +P. So they're one and the same. And welcome to the .38 Super Club!

As for the ammo I have run Aguila, Magtech, Fiocchi and Winchester through my Rock Island. Winchester being JHP SD rounds while the others are FMJ.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
i'm sure the questions been asked before, is .38 super +p okay to shoot in pt1911 ar. the manual that came with the pistol only cover .45 acp. maybe they stuck the wrong manual in the box, i don't know. any help or advice on ammo choice would be appreciated:eek:.
There are basically three levels of 38 Super ammunition on the market now.
a standard velocity (pressure) a plus P and a competition loading for 38 supers with fully supported barrels.
Your PT1911-38 Super is rated for either the standard loading or the plus P, it s not rated for the above SAAMI pressured competition loads, these loads are generally marked in RED that these are above SAAMI loaded pressures and designed for custom 38 super weapons, usually only custom reloading companies produce these.
just be aware they do exist and I have seen them in shops and ranges for sale.
the difference in standard and plus p loading are normally only about 100-150 FPS difference.
most all companies Remington, Mag tech, Winchester load the plus p loading, I think Aquila and Fiocchi are about the only standard loadings out there.
enjoy the wepaon, its a great caliber, although expensive for factory ammo.
you might want to take a look at Ammunition to go, they have Fiocchi 38 Super 129 grain FMJ fr 17.95 per box of 50, best price i have found on factory ammo.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
OK, for you 38 super guys that are looking for self defense ammo.
I assume no responsibility/ liability for this load data, use at your own risk!
you might take a look at Speer Gold dot 115 grain projectile being pushed by 6.0 grains of HP-38, CCI small pistol primer and a OAL of 1.250.
this has proved to be a very efficent and effective as well as accurate self defense loading in my Pt1911 38-Super.
if you save your brass cost should run about 9-10 bucks a box of 50 !

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
so the brass is worth picking up. know to find a reloading buddy
well let me ask??
would you bend over and pick up 50 dimes that were laying on the ground??
its worth picking up to me, i got about 800-1000 rounds of brass now and still scrounging!
unfortuantely there ain't a lot of 38 Super shooters out there to scrounge brass from so its kind of like having to support your own habit.
course now you can buy new 38 Super brass online, i think its about 70 bucks per 500 cases or so.

·
Registered
92 Posts
If I could find any .38 Super brass to pick up, I certainly would pick it up.
As far as I know, due to .38 Auto and .38 Super being the same case but very different pressures, SAAMI has "recommended" that ALL .38 Super brass be marked +P.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yesterday I bought a box of 130gr. Armscor 38 super labeled +P, fired half and stopped because all spent cases were bulged. It seems to be high pressure for the unsupported PT.
It was the only 38 super in stock at local store. All +P stamped might not be the same amount of "+"?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm far from an expert, but it's too dangerous of a condition for me to chance it. With too much pressure that thing could rupture and all sorts of bad things happen then.

I'll be buying much higher quality ammo and still keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
Yesterday I bought a box of 130gr. Armscor 38 super labeled +P, fired half and stopped because all spent cases were bulged. It seems to be high pressure for the unsupported PT.
It was the only 38 super in stock at local store. All +P stamped might not be the same amount of "+"?
Unfortunately this i true with factory ammo, it seems to differ in recoil/muzzle blast and pressure.
I haven't shot Armscor, but Mag tech, Remington, Fiocchi , Aquila some plus P some standard pressure, the standard pressure stuff is a bit lighter in recoil but even the light stuff is generally zipping along at a pretty good rate out of the 38 Super.
I haven't had a bit of problems with any of the 38 Super loads that i have used and my reloads run perfect and are likely between standard and Plus p i think.
I reload the 115 grian projectile in the 38 Super for range work as i got plenty for my 9mm's.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
armscor not good for pt1911. what is unsupported, bulged cases sounds bad to me. is it a dangerous condition?
Never shot it, so can't say!
I would think that perhaps the gun or the ammo didn't like each other, but bulging (depending on how bad it is) can be a sign of pressure, minor bulging isn't mandatory a bad problem as the 38 super is a fairly high pressure cartridge.
Virtually all chambers on semi auto pistols are unsupported, its not something new and typically unless you are operating near or above SAAMI limits it generally causes no harm..
Unsupported is where a small section of the barrel is not touching the rear of the cartridge rim, normally near the extractor groove.

·
Registered
36,465 Posts
So one shouldn't be concerned with minor bulging?

I was afraid of a rupture so I discontinued the session.
Pop up a picture of the spent casing and we can all take a look see!
many 40 cals really bulge the cases, I normally get really, really concerned when i see the brass begin to flow into the extractor area ,never had that happen with factory ammo, but I have had that happen with some commercial reloads.
A good many competition guns can't use reloaded ammo because of the tight chambers and thats due to only minor case expansion/bulge, all cases expand some, then retract after the pressure goes down, but never return to the original size until ran through a resizing die.
your pistol could have a slightly loose chamber and that particular brand of ammo could be on the tight side of tolerances, so you get more expansion/bulge of the case.
although it may seem odd all chambers and all ammunition is not exact in size, there are acceptable variances in both.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
So one shouldn't be concerned with minor bulging?

I was afraid of a rupture so I discontinued the session.
It's typical with the .38 Super and the unsupported section at the rear of the barrel. Nothing to be concerned about with factory ammo. The super hot loads from Atlanta Arms, Georgia Arms, Corbon, Buffalo Bore will be even worse.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts