Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought my first Revolver, A taurus, at the recomendation of my firearms delaer. I Bought the Model 2- M850039UL. I bought 100 rounds to take to the range. I bought this as my concealed carry gun. I use to carry my Rug SR40 or P95, but wanted something smaller and lighter for when Spring/Summer comes and I'm riding my Harley. Soo, to ake a short story long, I've never bought PD ammo. I was just wanting some of you friendly folks opinion on your personal preference for PD/SD ammo. I figure I'll need it for the 38 Spl. Thanks in advance for your feedback!!!! Also got this for 279.00 on sale, bad price???? Goood price????

·
Registered
694 Posts
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.
I carry federal Hydroshok 110gr low recoil in mine. It is an older model, made in '88, and +p is not recommended. I suppose I could use hotter rounds for SD, but why punish myself with the recoil. Mine is primarily a BUG, that is, when I can get it away from my wife. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.
I carry federal Hydroshok 110gr low recoil in mine. It is an older model, made in '89, and +p is not recommended. I suppose I could use hotter rounds for SD, but why punish myself with the recoil. Mine is primarily a BUG, that is, when I can get it away from my wife. :)
Thanks Dennis!!!!

·
Registered
13,854 Posts
I gave $269.99 for mine best I recall, but then I had to pay shipping of $15 and transfer fee of $20. So I would say you did pretty well on the price. Or maybe that was my magnesium version. Either way you did good. They are great little carry guns and keep things simple whenever they are needed.

·
Registered
34,138 Posts
I carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds in mine, as I do in all my personal defense weapons.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave $269.99 for mine best I recall, but then I had to pay shipping of $15 and transfer fee of $20. So I would say you did pretty well on the price. Or maybe that was my magnesium version. Either way you did good. They are great little carry guns and keep things simple whenever they are needed.
Yeah I guess I got lucjy, as the gun was in stock so no shipping or transfer fee. With tax and 100 rounds of ammo it came out to 323.00. Woe a Magnesium version for that price is really good. Mine is the Aircraft grade alluminu, I believe that's what my dealer said. looks like we both did pretty good!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I carry Hornady Critical Defense rounds in mine, as I do in all my personal defense weapons.
My dealer also recommended the Hornaday's, thanks for the input!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
27,130 Posts
Hornady Critical Defense
Remington Golden Saber
Cor-Bon Self Defense 110 gr. +P
Hornady XTP

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hornady Critical Defense
Remington Golden Saber
Cor-Bon Self Defense 110 gr. +P
Hornady XTP
Thanks, I'll check em out!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds like you got a very reasonable price. In .38 special I like the FBI load; that is a 158 gr lhp in +P. My favorite is the Remington load. The advantage of the 158 gr load is that most fixed sight .38 special revolvers are regulated for it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Speer Gold dot for every caliber I own.Cant go wrong with those puppies

Reactions: ylekot and y2k01hd

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use Hornady critical defense both regular loads and also use + P. Like them both. You got a good deal on the gun. I don't even want to say what i paid for a model 850 compared to your price.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Locally the M-85 has been going for $199 since about last October. It may be just the local prices here in Huntsville, AL since Larry's seems to always be about $100 under the local Gander Mountain and others of that ilk.

I shoot Federal's 125 grain Nyclad HP +P which I don't think is currently in production, but Federal is again producing the Nyclads in standard .38SPL for PD. But really among all the premium brand bullets there really isn't that much difference (except for maybe the copper bullets), so it is best to shoot a variety until you find what shoots best for you in that M-85.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
158 gr Federal Hydroshock or HST

·
Registered
17 Posts
I like the Gold Dots and Barnes X bullets for SD. These are expensive but you only need to get a box or two -- just enough to try a few at the range, and then a few to carry. You'll shoot something a lot cheaper for most of your range practice.

Here's what I have in my inventory of SD for 38 special +P:
1) Speer Gold Dot 135 gr Short Barrel, if you can find it!
2) Corbon DPX 110 gr with Barnes X bullet
3) Buffalo Bore Standard Pressure Short Barrel (125 gr JHP with speer gold dot bullet)

If you can't find those Speer Gold Dots then Buffalo Bore makes a fine alternative in their Buffalo Bore Standard pressure Short Barrel (125 gr JHP Gold Dot)
Standard Pressure Short Barrel Low Flash Heavy .38 Special Pistol & Handgun Ammunition
That Buffalo Bore round has very similar terminal ballistics (in terms of momentum, kinetic energy) to the Speer Gold Dot 135 gr and expands with the expected Gold Dot reliability -- similar performance even though it is not a +P load, and therefore is safe in older revolvers that are not rated for +P.

If you can handle the recoil, Buffalo Bore makes some powerful 38 Special +P options:
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...[full_desc]=Y&s[sku]=Y&s[match]=all&s[cid]=22
In 38 special non-plus-P, any of these Buffalo Bore options would be excellent.

Buffalo Bore will soon be introducing a 38 special +P with the Barnes X bullet:

·
Super Moderator
21,441 Posts
I use Remington Golden Sabers in all my guns . Its just a habit they run good and perform with the best. I just bought a box of Hornady Critical defense to try our but as of yet have not had the chance. Most of the top of the line ammo will do you well. It just takes a few boxes to find the one for you. Good luck and welcome to our Forum.

·
Registered
810 Posts
IMHO you won't go far wrong loading up anything hollow point - and if it gives comfort pick stuff with nice Self-Defense sounding names on the packaging - lol - for semi-auto owners my advice includes using carry ammo that you have verified will reliable feed and cycle the pistol. For revolvers that is not a concern.

Again it is my mantra that anyone worth shooting is worth accurately shooting several times until they stop being a threat by leaving or die. Spend a bunch of cash on range time and practice ammo until you are able to hit a paper plate at 25' first time, every time. Then load any carry the SD ammo of your choice.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts