Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Got a problem. I'm loading my 38's & every 10 rounds I check them in the cylinder of my S&W. All of a sudden they won't go in the cylinder!! Checked everything. Reset all my dies. Bullets are out of the same box. Am I missing something???

BW

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
158 gn lswc from Missouri Bullets.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
If you didn't already, check the ones you already loaded to see if they still fit. If they do, you'll need to mic the front driving band (just forward of the crimp groove) on one that fits, and one that doesn't. You may have some over sized bullets in that box.

You could also try running an empty case through the dies (no powder, no bullets) and see if it fits. You could also try running a bore brush through the chamber, maybe you've got some lube in there or something. But if you've been using different chambers that's not it.

You could also try inserting the exposed portion of the bullet of one of each (fits, don't fit) through the front of the chamber to see if you can discern a difference in fit in the throat.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it! It was a crimp problem! Not enough! Can't figure how I missed that!! Thanks for the help!

BW

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Got it! It was a crimp problem! Not enough! Can't figure how I missed that!! Thanks for the help!

BW
That'll do it.

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
One can also roll crimp too much and cause the front of the case to have a little swell in it, been there, done that. :D

·
Administrator
40,088 Posts
I had a few a couple of years ago, that lined up the base of the bullet with the cannelure on the case. These had been loaded many times. It took me awhile to find it, but the cannelure apparently was weakened by use, and the base of the bullet caused it to swell slightly outward during seating. These were difficult to chamber, and a few couldn't be chambered at all. I avoid reloading cases in .38 and .357 with a cannelure anymore.

·
Registered
36,587 Posts
Man that will really put a "CRIMP" in you reloading fun!

OK, Ok, I am sorry couldn't resist!

·
Super Moderator
35,214 Posts
Too horrible for retort. :D

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Had exactly the same problem. It was in a Ruger 357. I think it's caused when dropping the powder and expanding the case to accept the bullet.
As stated you needed more crimp. I don't normally crimp pistol bullets, but some cases are thicker than others. If the bullets are already seated, put the shell back into the seating and crimping die and give the lever a good push and you will feel the crimp happen. if you get wrinkles in the case from doing this, just remove the decaping pin in the die and very slowly resize the case and voila! The wrinkle will dissappear. Black Magic!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I like to trim all my .38 Spl brass because they vary so much in length from maker to maker. There is no way to get good consistent crimps with brass that varies by .015, or even .020 in length. If one tries to roll crimp mixed brass, some may crimp great, but some may not get sufficient crimp, and others may get so much it bulges the case, causing chambering problems.

Crimps on lead bullets with a good crimp groove should look something like this:

.38 Spl.
MediumRollCrimponaDJ125GrRFNIn38SplPic1.jpg

.45 Colt
MediumRollCrimpona45Colt265GrSWC-HPPic1.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts