Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to reload some 38 special; you people that reload for the 38 special what is your favorite powder and bullets?

I'm looking for some ideas on what would be a good all around load.

jic

·
Super Moderator
40,385 Posts
I have used both LRNFP and the XTreme Plated RNFP in 158 grs. I like the plated better. I have only used Unique for my .38spl loads. Accuracy is fine, see no reason to try anything else.

Good luck and let us know what you try.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
For target shooting you just cannot beat; 3.0 grains of Bullseye and a 148 grain wadcutter....

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I shoot anything from 110 gr SWC to 158 gr SWC. depending on your gun, fixed sight models like the S&W 10 are usually regulated for 158 grain RN but adjustable sights models can be for any bullet weight. I like faster powders like Bullseye, W-231/HP-38, Unique or Titegroup. Much reloading info on those powders is available. For plinking, I like the 125 gr cast round nose flat point with 4-5 grains of Unique.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
My mmainstay powder for 38 spl is unique. However, I have been using titegroup lately and am growing fond of it.

·
17,567 Posts
My basic load is a cast lead 158gr SWC with W231. But having loaded everything from 95gr to 200gr bullets with a wide variety of powders, from fast (Bullseye, W231,700X and others) to medium (Universal, Unique,800X and others) I can tell you this: Don't bother getting too hung up on this. Load what you can find. The .38 spl is very versatile and performs well with just about everything you stuff in it. It's rare to find a "bad" load.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Any 150-160 gr cast SWC over 3.5 gr. of Bullseye. Been using that load for over 50 years.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Recently, it is the powder that I can find. Currently, 4.7 gr of 800X Hi-Skor, with a 158gr RNL, (Check your own load data for safety.) I really like HP-38 or Trailboss when I can get it.

·
Registered
36,019 Posts
I'm getting ready to reload some 38 special; you people that reload for the 38 special what is your favorite powder and bullets?

jic
I typically use and like Win 231 as its a ball powder and meters well even at light loadings.
I almost always load the 125 grain Fp as its for the wifes snubby and she likes those loads.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks people for all the replies that's a great help and gives me some ideas as to what to load.

I'll have to go out looking and find out what's available in powder around here.

No body mention using IMR 700X , has anybody used it ?

jic

·
Registered
24,497 Posts

jic
I use 148 gr hbwc bullets and TiteGroup.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
No body mention using IMR 700X , has anybody used it ? .
700X works well. It's pretty clean. It's bulky so it's easy to visually check charge level in your
case.

Down side: it does not meter well in most powder drops. I've found dippers to be the
best way to dispense it.

All the Best,
D. White

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
17,567 Posts

·
17,567 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I target shoot A LOT of .38 special, and my number one go-to load is 3.6 grains of Alliant Accurate No. 2 under a 158 Grain Lead Semi Wad Cutter with a Federal primer. It's about as accurate as it gets for me and my wheelguns. Revolvers with factory non-adjustable sites always seem to have better POA to POI relation when using a heavier bullet with a fast powder. AA no. 2 has been regularly available where I live, it meters well in my powder measure, and it has always been consistent.

My number 2 load is 3 grains of Bullseye under a 148 grain Lead Wad Cutter. The only reason this isn't my no. 1 favorite, is because the semi-wad cutter design is easier to load quickly. I find that whether I'm using speed loaders, speed strips, or individual cartridges, the flat face of the wad cutter bullet doesn't lend to easy chambering of multiple rounds. That, and the 158's seem to carry a bit better after 50 yards, and can be worked up into hunting loads with longer barrels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts