Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thought I'd try out the new indoor range the other day. Nice range. Plenty air movement, lighting, everything good. My problem is with the 148 gr LHBWC's I loaded for my S&W 38 special snub. Almost all of my bullets went keyhole. I've loaded them before with no problem, but these did.
I could shoot them from my Ruger 357 4" just fine. But when I shot them from the S&W Model 10 snubbie they key holed on the target at about 15 yards.. These were loaded when I first started loading, so maybe I didn't seat them properly. Not sure. If I remember right I had about 2.3 gr of Bullseye. Always worked before. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I load 2.7 gr. of B'eye with that bullet, never had a keyhole from 2", or any other.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
Too low on the powder charge. Consult your reloading manual.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Probably not enough in your load to obturate the base of the bullet to engage the rifling my lightest load is 2.8 grs BE for a S&W Chiefs Special.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Thought I'd try out the new indoor range the other day. Nice range. Plenty air movement, lighting, everything good. My problem is with the 148 gr LHBWC's I loaded for my S&W 38 special snub. Almost all of my bullets went keyhole. I've loaded them before with no problem, but these did.
I could shoot them from my Ruger 357 4" just fine. But when I shot them from the S&W Model 10 snubbie they key holed on the target at about 15 yards.. These were loaded when I first started loading, so maybe I didn't seat them properly. Not sure. If I remember right I had about 2.3 gr of Bullseye. Always worked before. Any suggestions?
This is your problem, the load for the 148gr. SWC with Bullseye is 2.6 to a max of 2.8 grains. So, as others have said, load up to 2.8 grains and you will have no problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts