Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to purchase some cast bullets from the Grand Master company next week 125 gr FP. I will be shooting in Rossi 972 6 inch barrel. I will be loading for 38 Special cases for target shooting. The Alliant web site does not have a 125 gr cast bullet load only 125 JHP. My Lee manual has a limited number of powders for a 125 gr cast bullet. I have never loaded cast bullets before. I understand there is some differences to be considered.
I would like to try Bullseye as I have read onlly great comments on this site. I want to avoid leading and these are non gas checked bullets with BHN of 16. Do you think I could use the 125 JHP data for 125 cast? Any suggestions would be helpful including your target loads fot this loading.

·
Administrator
40,556 Posts
I think you would be alright using the data. I'm sure there are minor differences in the technicalities of it all, but I don't know them. I have done this with no ill effects.

Bullseye is a good econimical powder. You use less. It's a little dirtier than some, but I don't think its as dirty as it was when I first started reloading years ago.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Depending on the load, Smokewagon is correct. For a target load, I'd think you'd want to be somewhere between 4.0gr to 4.4gr of the Bull with an OAL of around 1.45". My experience, though very limited compared to others on this site, would be to work up slowly. I've also found the Bullseye loads like a moderate crimp. JSP's of the same weight and load are just a hair above 1000fps making this a moderate round for recoil and accuracy. To echo Smokewagon. Bullseye is a very versitile powder but leans towards dirty. Be ready to spend some quality time with a bore brush and solvent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts