Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOWDY
I HAVE BEEN CARRYING FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER 3 OR 4 DIFFERENT CCW"S.....SOME FIT
MY REAREND BETTERE THAN OTHERS ETC. BUT NOW I HAVE SOME MORE THINKING TO DO. CHUCK HAWKS
[WHO I PUT MUCH MORE OPINION ON THAN I DO MY OWN] WROTE, 'ANY 380 ACP WILL BE MORE POWERFUL
THAN ANY[ANY] 38 SPECIAL SNUBNOSE :guns:pERIOD'......WOW I THOUGHT. I HAVE CARRIED THE MODEL 85, RUGERS SMALL
38 FOR SOME TIME. I NEVER THOUGHT THE 380 WOULD GENERATE MORE JUICE ETC THAN THE SNUBIES. I UNDERSTAND
THE LENGTHS OF BARRELS ETC. STILL BLEW ME AWAY. NOW I HAVE THE RUGER 380 AND THE BERSA 380.
WONDERING ALOUD IF I SHOULD SAY HECK WITH THEM AND GO WITH THE TRUSTY 357 SIG.OR MY 44 SPECIAL, SURE WISH TAURUS
MADE THE 357 SIG CALIBER. I FIND IT A NICE BETWEEN THE 'HEDGES' CALIBER............THOUGHTS OH WISE ONES?:eek:

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
From Hornady this is the Critical Defense line. .380cal 90gr. 1000 fps/200 fpe. .38 special 90gr. 1200 fps/288 fpe. I personally carry a .380 because with an extra mag I have 13 rounds at hand.

Reactions: VILLAGE

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Nothing wrong with either, I have both. I do however, like my Bersa Thunder Plus with the 15 round mag over the 5 shot .38 snubbie. The .38 can be loaded +P and have more oomph than the .380 plus you can load heavier bullets if needed. Which ever you are the most comfortable with and can shoot the best is what you should carry.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
It's all good!

Reactions: ozzy and VILLAGE

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have always felt bigger is better, with both being close to the same size I would go with the 38.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
I carried a model 85 for a few years, had two of them.

Snubbies are sexy IMHO.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
As stated I carry my .380 more because it has more rounds and the extra magazine easily fits in my front pocket.A speed loader not so much.I consider a .38 to be a more powerful round but I don't want to get shot with either.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
My Bersa Thunder 380 is my EDC. I like the fact that with 1 extra mag I have 15 rounds at my disposal (1 in the pipe). Do I think I need all 15 rounds? No. But I'd rather have them and not need them.... That said, I'm looking into the Taurus 380 revolver. I think its a pretty cool design. Oh, and I have a bunch of 380 ammo; I'd hate to have to add 38 to the mix, especially given how hard ammo is to come by these days.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Why are you shouting, I'm standing right here. :D

I'm sure fond of carrying my Ruger LCP in my pocket holster. My snubbies ride in an IWB holster and are a main carry, not a backup, typically, for me.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
I've carried the .380, but for its size, I go a little bigger and carry a 9x19, personally. BUT, I do trust a 158 grain +P pushing 275 ft lbs from a 2" barrel over any 90 grain pill pushing just under 200 ft lbs. There's some hot .380 out there, but not in MY .380. If I wanna go hotter, the 9x19 is the way to go. In fact, though the 9x18 Makarov pushes a slightly heavier bullet to mid 200 ft lb ranges, I still sorta prefer the good ol' .38. But, then, I AM a revolver guy. :D I own all of these calibers in pocketable firearms. My .380 is a double stack 12 ounce Grendel P12. It's decent, but a TCP is lighter and easier to tote and probably shoots a bit better with a better trigger. That Grendel's trigger is atrocious, though I've learned to control it. Having 12 rounds on hand is kinda nice, though, in such a compact gun. BUT, I'd rather carry my Taurus 85SSUL in my right pocket when my Kel Tec P11 isn't there. :D

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Me, of 'em all, I shoot the .38 best. YMMV It will put 5 shots into 3" at 25 from the bench and it's got the best out of the box DA trigger I've ever owned which makes it a pleasure to shoot DA. YMMV, but I love a good DA revolver. :D

MY .380 shoots about 7 or 8" groups from the bench at 25 yards and the DA is awful so I might need those 12 rounds if I'm going to make a solid hit. Fewer rounds fired the better. You are responsible for what happens to every round fired whether it hits an innocent bystander or the BG.

But, my KT has a smooth, if long, trigger and is easy to shoot well. It groups about 3.5" at 25 yards. SO, between these two, my .380 has been collecting dust for a long time. :D

Oh, edit, but my Polish P64 Radom is an awesome shooter and in reality the caliber is a glorified .380. It points really well, shoots 3" groups at 25 off the bench, and after a Wollff spring installation, the DA is fine, though the DA to SA transition is a bit tough with such a light SA trigger. I love the way it shoots, but it is a brick in the pocket being all steel, so I usually don't carry it.

See, these are the things you need to weigh for yourself with the two guns you're choosing from. None of us can tell YOU what to choose. It's all in how you shoot the two guns and which you hit with and like better and can carry easier so it's always there when you need it.

Reactions: VILLAGE and bps1

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
From Chuck Hawks..

.380 ACP (9mm Short, 9x17mm, 9mm Kurz)
Now we're getting into some decent stopping power. The three or four best .380 JHP rounds have better stopping power than ANY bullet fired out of 2" barrel .38 Special snub-nose. All of the Big Five make good hollowpoints for this caliber. The Remington 88 grain JHP is the most reliably-feeding hollowpoint, but slightly less effective than the Hydra-shok or Cor-Bon. Reliability is crucial, and thus you must test the rounds before carrying.
I recommend the following two cartridges above all others:
Federal 90 grain Hydra-shok (P380HS1 H) - the best standard-pressure .380 JHP load, period.
Cor-Bon 90 grain JHP - the most powerful .380 hollowpoint, bar none.

YMMW.

Ammunition For The Self-Defense Firearm

·
Registered
940 Posts
This website has some good info on stopping power. Just select the caliber and look at the stooping percentage. Looks like the .380 fared a little better than the 38spl. But as others and I believe, shot placement is VERY important not caliber.
38 Special Stopping Power

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't carry either caliber, however, I own two 380s...a Browning BDA 13 round magazine...and a Bersa Thunder Plus with a 15 round magazine. The 380 maybe lighter on power, but the 15 round magazine makes-up for the difference of nine more rounds. As an old homicide friend of mine use to say, "just button his shirt with it, he'll go down".

1 - 20 of 58 Posts