Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen, may I ask your opinion on dry firing my revolver. I do use snapcaps but was told that common issue for dry firing a revolver is the transfer bar. Since my revolver is imported, it might be an issue(finding parts locally). So i was thinking if I put a rubber/pad between the hammer and the transferbar? I dont know if this works or make more trouble for me. Hopefully you guys can advice me. Thank you

Tool Grey Finger Electric blue Nail

·
Administrator
41,043 Posts
I would think a thin rubber pad between the hammer and transfer bar would protect from any peening you might be concerned with. But, I have dry fired another manufacturers revolver many times with snap caps with no issues whatsoever.

Reactions: mich357 and PTDOUDE

·
23,575 Posts
If it gives you peace of mind, use some snap caps. The firing pin and transfer bar will experience about the same forces they'd experience in live fire.

I like the ones with a silicone or plastic insert in the primer area. Like this.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Hello gentlemen, may I ask your opinion on dry firing my revolver. I do use snapcaps but was told that common issue for dry firing a revolver is the transfer bar. Since my revolver is imported, it might be an issue(finding parts locally). So i was thinking if I put a rubber/pad between the hammer and the transfer bar? I dont know if this works or make more trouble for me. Hopefully you guys can advice me. Thank you
I had my Tracker apart a few weeks ago. Its transfer bar seems like a fairly robust part. I'm a lot less worried about the Taurus transfer bar breaking, than some other's.

The other parts to worry about would be the firing pin, and firing pin spring.

Snap caps are cheap peace of mind.

If it gives you peace of mind, use some snap caps. The firing pin and transfer bar will experience about the same forces they'd experience in live fire.
I wonder about that. Snap caps didn't seem to do a lot of good preserving my Charter Arms guns transfer bars.

I like the ones with a silicone or plastic insert in the primer area.
Tipton snap caps have a brass "primer" with a spring behind it. That's my preference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
@lee n. field "I wonder about that. Snap caps didn't seem to do a lot of good preserving my Charter Arms guns transfer bars."

I've owned, and sold, a few Charter Arms. Imo they're just not made as tough. They are decent for what they are, but not tough. I believe most Taurus or Ruger revolvers are significantly tougher.

"Tipton snap caps have a brass "primer" with a spring behind it. That's my preference."

I use the same ones. Well made and easy to spot if you drop one.lol

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys are amazing! thank you for sharing your experiences coz I was really told not to dry fire my revolver regardless if im using snapcaps coz of the issue it may have with the transferbar. But thankfully you guys are there to give me hope that I can indeed dry fire it 😊

·
Registered
548 Posts
@lee n. field
I've owned, and sold, a few Charter Arms. Imo they're just not made as tough. They are decent for what they are, but not tough. I believe most Taurus or Ruger revolvers are significantly tougher.
There's stuff to like about Charters (Charter will sell you parts. If you want to do special order some funky custom config, Charter will do it for you.) But, yeah.

·
Registered
30,006 Posts

I like the ones with a silicone or plastic insert in the primer area. Like this.
I'll second this. I would not worry at all if you use snap caps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
had to send a Ruger LC9 in to have the firing pin retaining pin replaced. it broke due to dry firing. Ruger returned it with a note "if dry firing use a snap cap with spring loaded primer". that's when i began using Tipton snap caps.

·
Super Moderator
35,778 Posts
Made my own snap caps by punching the primers out of a few pieces of brass and filling the primer holes with shoe goo. It has worked well so far.

·
23,575 Posts
"Tipton snap caps have a brass "primer" with a spring behind it. That's my preference."

I use the same ones. Well made and easy to spot if you drop one.lol
In my experience, the brass "primer" peens and gets stuck after a while. The silicone lasts forever. At least I've never worn one out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts