Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone bought, fired or seen a Taurus 357 revolver in 3 inch as listed (in 605 for instance) on the Taurus web site?

Thanks a million.

JimL

·
32,533 Posts
Don't have the 605, for instance :)....., but do have a stainless older model 65. It's a nice carry piece, has good heft and balance. Makes shooting the 125gr.JHP .357 magnum light magnum loads and +P .38 Special 158 gr.LSWCHPs a breeze compared to the lighter weight and smaller brethren. 6 shots instead of 5 is a small added bonus.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I've had several 3-inch barrel snubs, a S&W 36 square butt, a S&W Model 65, a Colt Detective Special (Yeah, I'm still kicking myself over that one), and a S&W Model 13, but no Taurus. I like 'em. One thing is, they all require holsters. My only Taurus right now is a 85SSUL 2-inch which rides in a pocket about half the time.

ECS

·
32,533 Posts
Got to like S&W, Colt, and Taurus. Would have had a S&W 58. Got discontinued and not available at the time.
Wanted a Colt Detective Special. Those were discontinued as well and those available were priced out of sight at the time. Even the Agents went away.
There's a long line of wants, but cannot haves. Went with Taurus which was available, priced right at the time, and never looked back.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering if Taurus 3 inch snubs really exist... The Taurus web site doesn't have pictures of any, even though they are listed with specs. I saw one advertised somewhere, but that could have been a typo.

Hmmm...

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
JimL said:
I'm wondering if Taurus 3 inch snubs really exist... The Taurus web site doesn't have pictures of any, even though they are listed with specs. I saw one advertised somewhere, but that could have been a typo.

Hmmm...
Yes, they really exist. I aquired a 3" 605 357 Magnum from a Patrol Officer that works for me. I swapped him a beater S&W Mdl 37 Airweight for it. Many, many folks tout the virtues of a 3" revolver & dearly love them. 2" snubbies I like, 4" revolvers I like; 3" revolvers were neither fish nor fowl for me. After using the gun for a while I swapped it for another Taurus® (Mdl 85UL). I've been grandfathered by my dept & I carry only a wheelgun by choice. For Patrol I use my S&W® 686 4" 357. For plain clothes assignments, which I'm doing a lot more, I use a Taurus® Mdl 617 2¼" 357. In both cases my Mdl 85UL is my BUG/ODG.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
badge851 said:
3" revolvers were neither fish nor fowl for me.
Interesting.

I thought maybe it would get you a little more accuracy without the much larger size of a 4 inch to conceal. Or are you talking strictly from a LEO point of view?

Thanks a million

JimL

·
32,533 Posts
3 inch barrels are better at some things, but not better in so many ways as to count overall. Ballistics are improved over the 2 in. barrels and give more sight reference,and make a good carry gun, but there isn't that much advantage over a 4 in.barrel except for easy carry. And that's only a small advantage.

There are those who like the 'split the difference' models of guns for the small advantages over the other two revolver gun sizes. Nothing wrong with that. Just means there isn't as much in the way ofsuperior reasons for the choice or that a choice is totally correct in all areas. It is for the individual user. There are compromises at all levels to pick a snubbie, 3 in.barreled revolver or a 4 incher.

Most people who pack a 4 incher want to because of slightly better ballisitics, longer sight plain, and see little advantage for the shorter tube, when the difference isn't all that great. To them anyway.

I have both,but go with the longer tube for most purposes. If I am using .357 magnum, then I want all the magnum ballisitics I can get. Granted, the drop in muzzle velocity isn't that great from a longer to shorter one,but there are those of us who do not want the change or increased muzzle blast. Efficiency increases are good things overall.

There are still times that the shorter tube does carry well and I do like shooting the shorter tubed gun. With .38 Specials +P or other wise, this is a nice gun to carry.
With Federal or Remington 125.gr JHPs light magnum loads, I have as decent level of protection. The same can be said for the .38 Special loads as well.
Nice to have versatility in a cartridge such as the .357/.38 caliber family.

The heft of the K like frame soaks up recoil and muzzle flip somehat over the 5 shot snubbies.

This is all about personal choice more than about alleged superiority of one kind or another. There are trade offs or compromises to the various choices we decide to carry. What is important is our choice and why we chose this for our own reasons. Not somebody elses.

For those who chose to carry a snubbie, fine. Those who chose the other size revolvers, fine. They all know why they do it and are satisfied in what meets their critera.Can't ask for more.

When in the Hampton Roads Virginia area it was not uncommon to have to help the neighborhood county Sheriff's deputy contain a situation armed. For that there were times when the 3 in. tube was more discreetly carried over the 4 incher. Then again the difference was only minimal. Did appreciate the difference more than a few times though.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I saw a 3" 605 in a local shop about a year ago, went back 2 weeks later and it was gone. The longer barrel on a small frame really appealed to me for a woods gun. The guy checked all of his suppliers and they were all out with no info on getting more. I ended up with a 2" 605 but always wonder how one of those 3"ers would shoot.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Qwiks draw said:
3 inch barrels are better at somet hings, but not better in so many ways as to count overall. Ballistics are improved over the 2 in. barrels and give more sight reference,and make a good carry gun, but there isn't that much advantage over a 4 in.barrel except for easy carry. And that's only a small advantage.
<snip>

Thanks. Enough pieces like this and some others you've posted and you could put together a pretty good book.

JimL

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Qwiks draw said:
there isn't that much advantage over a 4 in.barrel except for easy carry. And that's only a small advantage.
My own interest in a 650 or 651 would be to probably shoot .38 +p yet have the option for .357 - a personal matter.

But I don't understand why you would suggest that there is little difference in carry size between the J and the K.

Thanks a million

JimL

·
32,533 Posts
The measurements of K frame, Colt Detective Special, Ruger SP101, and the J framed .357 magnum guns have been done time and time again by the gunwriters and shooting instructors. The difference in cylinder circumference and the frames of the different types isn't as great as one would suppose. Granted the K frames are slightly larger in most areas, but not by much and not enough to make a big deal about.Some probably will. This does make the K framed and similar types a bit harder to hide.
A few tenths or hundereths of an inch here or there isn't going to get argued over.

Since I have a hard time hiding a .357 maggie in a pocket I chose to carry the 65. Shoot better with it too.

I do like the Taurus 605 and the 600 and 800 series revolvers. Just never had a need personally to have a 5 shot pocket cannon when the 85CH I have does a wonderful job.

There are those who can utilize the magnum power and versatility of the pocket rockets. My hat's off to those who go that way. I've just got it covered a different way than others do.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own the 605 3-inch stainless steel. I bought it because I was looking for a wheel gun for concealed carry and got a good price on it. It was NIB but used (never fired).

I was buying it for carry and did not want a two inch snubbie. It conceals nicely and I'm generally very pleased with it on the range. I have found that I have to be choosy about the ammo. High power ammo is tough (for me) with this gun. I carry 130gr short barrel gold dots or DPX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have carried a 605 for almost 3 years now, and I have been perfectly satisfied with it. It's accurate enough, and it carries well. It also makes for a very nice truck gun, although thats not exactly a hard role to fulfill. It's literally the only non-.22 handgun that I own that I would not sell (or at least contemplate selling ;D), simply because it fills so many roles so well for me. About the only thing it doesn't do well is act as a range gun. It's a great little gun and all, but for me it is a "combat" gun, pure and simple. That isn't to say I don't practice with it, but I am saying that for a fun day at the range plinking and burning up ammo, I have other guns, rimfire and centerfire both, that are way more fun to shoot.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
For a fun range session with your snubby .357, load it up with lower velocity, light (110-130 grain) .38 Specials. I bet you change your mind.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am pretty sure they make the small frame 85 and 605 in a 3" right now. They used to make the medium frame 65 in a 3".

I wish they still made the 65 in 3".

There is a dedicated following for 3" K-frame sized guns. For us, they are the epitome of the carry revolver. They cut a couple OZ. of weight off the 4" and are an inch shorter making them easier to carry (try to carry a 4" K-frame IWB- ouch). They point and handle just about perfectly. They are quite concealable, yet they are heavy enough for quick follow up shots and comfortable range practice even with most .357mag fodder. Unlike the 2" or 2 1/2" guns they have a full length ejection rod- the shorter guns sometimes fail to fully eject fired rounds due to the truncated length of the ejection rod, the 3" guns don't have this problem. The 3" barrel gives a slight ballistics edge over the 2" or 2 1/2" barrels and it is easier to be accurate. This size gun just hits a sweet spot that the 2" K or J-frame size guns and 4" K-frames don't.

I really would like to see Taurus return to making 3" K-frame sized guns. It isn't a new gun or new caliber so I doubt if starting a run of them would cost that much money to set up and there would be a market, especially now that S&W has completely abandoned the K-frame sized .357mag let alone 3" K-frames. I for one would buy at least 2.

As for the 3" J-frame sized guns, I don't have first hand experience. I did handle a 3" S&W 60 at a gun store once and it seemed that for a belt gun or IWB it may be nice. It handled nice and for a belt gun (as opposed to a deep concealment gun where you need the 2") it would have some advantages- mainly in easier accuracy and slightly better ballistics than the 2". IWB a J-frame has an advantage over the K-frame, the bulge is noticable with a K-frame, with a J-frame it basically disappears (though OWB I would go with a K-frame sized gun).

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
M66, older version with hammer block lockwork. The thing is about as easy to carry as my 2.3" SP101 and carries an extra round. It's blued, adjustable sight, and shoots real easy. I've got a Hogue monogrip on it now, shown here with the pachmayr gripper that was on it when I bought it. The gun is quite accurate. I paid $180 at a gun show for it. You can't find an old M19 Smith with a 3" barrel for under 600 bucks anywhere in the US that I know of and, frankly, I'd as soon have the Taurus. I had a 19 and it didn't shoot .38s that accurate, was okay with .357s.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I must've been living in a cave for years. I was on Ruger's website and just now noticed that they make a stainless GP100 with a 3" barrel!!! Needless to say, I just bought one from Davidson's.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
The GP100 is a little heavy, but the plain sights and rugged to the max gun is GREAT for carry if you can handle the weight on the hip. The old Speed/Security Six line was a lot more handy in weight, but the GP is a stronger gun.

Ruger has a new gun, an auto I think, that everyone is squawking about. I didn't pay a lot of attention and need to go check the Ruger site to check it out. The last big development they had was the P345 and, frankly, I ain't tradin' my P90 for one of those. They've been dropping more models than creating lately and I've just sorta lost track of what they're doing, though I'm a raging Ruger fan, generally. I have a 2.3" SP101 and think a 3" version of that (actually 3 1/16") would be an awesome IWB carry. The little barrel is pretty impressive, though and a little handier for CCW.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.