Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm wondering if it would help or hurt to load and practice .357 rounds, and use factory .38 +p loads for carry. I like the idea of having a LARGE supply of .357 rounds for a SHTF situation and just .38p loads for defensive carry. I can load cases of .357 so this is an economical decision. Since .357 requires more control in double action fire, I'd hope the practice with magnums would make me that much better with the .38P. Both would probably be 158gr. H110 is all I have right now for magnums. And maybe Buffalo Bore for defense carry.

·
Super Moderator
35,330 Posts
Personally, I do it the other way around, easier on the guns and the wallet. Of course, I handload, but 5 grains Unique vs 14.5 grains of 2400 adds up. :D

Reactions: stickem2 and MoKen

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I typically load .357's with 158gr over 7gr of Unique. .38's its the same bullet with 4.5gr of Unique. Economic wise it's cheaper to practice with .38's.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is true. It will be cheaper to practice with .38, but as I mentioned... I'd load .357 mag for a SHTF situation. I just wanted to know if a 158gr bullet would have the same point of impact/aim from the 2 different sized brass.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I would say at typical shooting distances (7-15 yards) you won't see much a difference. Longer distances yes.

·
Registered
36,765 Posts
This is true. It will be cheaper to practice with .38, but as I mentioned... I'd load .357 mag for a SHTF situation. I just wanted to know if a 158gr bullet would have the same point of impact/aim from the 2 different sized brass.
Not if they are loaded to the same pressure/fps!-- the 38 will be loaded lighter as the case has less capacity to produce the same pressure.
so you would likely need to download the 357 mags a bit to replicate the 38 Spl Plus P rounds.
actually and NOT trying to open up the carrying reloads issue, but if you reload the 357 then why would you buy 38 spl Plus P loads for carry, unless you are afraid of the boogey man prosecutor that we are all (some) afraid of?
and actually most dies will reload both the 38 and the 357?
so why not?
again just questions in my mind.
as long as you use the appropriate powder you can pretty much upload (to a point) or download any revolver round to your hearts content.
as for cheaper, well yea a little, but figure that you ae using the same projectile, the same primer, and could be using the same powder, so you aren't exactly saving enough money to retire on by saving 3-5 grains of powder.
I mean come on there is 7000 grains of powder in a pound, so you save a full 3 grains of powder, gee after I load 2300 rounds then i will need to buy one more pound of powder by not reducing the load!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not if they are loaded to the same pressure/fps!-- the 38 will be loaded lighter as the case has less capacity to produce the same pressure.
so you would likely need to download the 357 mags a bit to replicate the 38 Spl Plus P rounds.
actually and NOT trying to open up the carrying reloads issue, but if you reload the 357 then why would you buy 38 spl Plus P loads for carry, unless you are afraid of the boogey man prosecutor that we are all (some) afraid of?
and actually most dies will reload both the 38 and the 357?
so why not?
again just questions in my mind.
as long as you use the appropriate powder you can pretty much upload (to a point) or download any revolver round to your hearts content.
as for cheaper, well yea a little, but figure that you ae using the same projectile, the same primer, and could be using the same powder, so you aren't exactly saving enough money to retire on by saving 3-5 grains of powder.
I mean come on there is 7000 grains of powder in a pound, so you save a full 3 grains of powder, gee after I load 2300 rounds then i will need to buy one more pound of powder by not reducing the load!
I have a feeling that I will have to defend my home from thieves during a period of civil unrest; civil war, national emergency, natural disaster, government take-over and such. During this type of situation, I want to have cases of ammo that are loaded as HOT .357 magnums (these will be my reloads).
I carry a .357mag for general defense; hoodlums in a dark parking lot, people who want to break into my home... the common threats that most people carry for. I want to use .38+p for this type of general carry. I feel like the hot .38 should be sufficient to stop bad guys without over-penetration wounding an innocent person. I'd only need a handful of these rounds... but for prepping purposes, .357mag is my preference.

·
Super Moderator
35,330 Posts
I shoot HOT .357s and mild +P 38s. I have my sight elevations marked on two of my guns, but my 3" 66 shoots pretty close with either builet, so i just leave the elevation alone on that gun. I had a Ruger SP101 that shot same point of aim, too, so it CAN happen, but it's the exception.

Reactions: likesbigbullets

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Just remember to clean that carbon ring out after the 38spl so the longer 357 will slide in easily..m
It's easier to just use .38 loads in .357 Mag cases. A slight
increase in powder charge will be required to match velocity.

I shoot 158gr LSWC's in .357 cases with 4.2 grains of Bullseye
and get very accurate, consistent results.

All the Best,
D. White

1 - 12 of 12 Posts