Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a Taurus on GlockTalk and here is how he describes it:

5 shot Taurus .357 stainless steel J frame size with a 2 1/2" barrel

What model is this?

BC

·
Administrator
35,632 Posts
The ones I see on Taurus' webpage are: the model 605 (several variations), model 650 and 651 (again, several variations).

The 605 has a hammer, the 650 is a shrouded hammer dao, and the 651 is a bodyguard-type gun SA or DA - I've called these the 'humpback'.

Looks like all of the Taurus 357 snubs are 5 shot - Rossi carries a 6 shot though.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Its most likely a 605 (basic small frame with an exposed hammer) but what throws me off is the 2.5" barrel. I don't know of Taurus doing any in that length. Unless he's wrong on the length...

Steelheart

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found a 605 SS on gunbroker that had this in the description:

"IT HAS A 2 1/4 INCH FULL LUG BARREL"

What does that mean?

BC

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That being the case, don't ALL snub nose Taurus' have a full lug barrel?

Like this 605 or 85

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I know that my M85 does. But some other makers don't make full lugged snubbies. And on a 2" snub it doesn't seem to matter much. Besides, its marketing, it doesn't have to make sense. :D

Steelheart

·
Registered
56 Posts
BurkeC:

The 605 .357 magnum has a 2" barrel. I just measured mine. I know of no Taurus .357 with a 2 1/2" barrel. By the way, it's a very good snubbie.

·
32,737 Posts
Lugged or partial lugs protect the ejector rod and crane. This can be from dropping or some other form of abuse. Let's face it, it can be a mean world out there and accidents do happen.

Guns do drop to the ground or slip out of holsters. Yes,it's not supposed to happen, but it's frequent enough happening. Even with the older gun veterans.

In times gone by police had been known to get into a brawls where physical force was needed. Shooting wasn't an option in the fight. The only blunt trauma weapon on hand was the revolver.

So the bad guy was hit hard with the underside of the revolver. Unprotected rods can be bent out of shape severely. Thus the gun is unuseable. Underlugs gave the revolver some protection from incidents like this. It wasn'tTHE main reason for this. Just one of various reasons for having them.

Underlugs of various lengths can protect these vulnerable areas.Also add mass and weight that can dampen recoil.

It's not that revolvers have to have them. It's just that they do have their place if needed.

·
Registered
111 Posts
well if I can attach the pics heres a shot of my 85 and 605

[attachment deleted by admin]

·
Registered
6,761 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,247 Posts
Taurus used to make a snubbie M65 that was 6 shot .357, with a 2.5 in. barrel. I'm still pounding my head about selling it. :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
I own a 650. It's a great little gun good weight and nice finish.

·
Registered
89 Posts
tha
Steelheart said:
That looks like a 2" barrel to me. I'm basing this on the about of lug ahead of the ejector rod in comparison to my M650 (2" barrel).

Steelheart

That 605 on Gunbroker does not look like a 2" revolver. compare the pic from Gunbroker to the 605 Pic on the Taurus site. Compare the lugs and see the difference in barrel length?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts