Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a PT-145 and put 100 rounds through it, LOVE this gun! I will be using this for my CCW. My wife is new to the shooting world and shot her first gun last weekend. She shot a .22, .38, 9mm and my .45. She shot the best from the .357 with .38 rounds. I am wondering if we should elect the 605 model and let her get comfortable with the .38 rounds, then when she is ready, move up to the big boy rounds. This would also be her CCW. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,139 Posts
My wife's (64) carry gun is a 605SS2 and she loves it, it's low recoil & highly accurate. (FWIW, she DID NOT LIKE the Ultra-Lite® series of guns; way too much recoil for her). She shoots and carries 38 Special, both standard pressure, and +P; and is not bothered with recoil. 357 Magnum OTOH, in any persuation; is too much for her to manage in the 605.

Reactions: kkellman2004

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your input. I think she is really leaning towards this firearm due to her shooting the best with the .38 yesterday. Granted, it was not a snub nose though. She really handled my .45 like a champ and I would love her to have a revolver rather than a semi.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I carry on a fairly regular basis a 605 (blued), in addition to my SA XD 9mm. The 605 is a great concealed carry. Fully recommend.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
A 605 is a good carry gun for the missus, if that's what she's competent with and is comfortable carrying. Just because it's my wife's choice doesn't mean it should be your wife's as well. But for most new shooters, or occasional shooters, etc., I lean toward recommending a revolver, and the 605 is a great concealable revolver for most people.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
The M605, shooting .357 Magnum ammo, provides some blistering recoil; but that being said, I consider it to be an excellent carry gun. Hopefully, she would never have to use it in a self defense situation; but if she did...woe be unto the person on the receiving end.

·
Administrator
40,176 Posts
Most ladies will shy away from the .357 mag. recoil in these guns. Not all though. I think .38 special will be an excellent choice, with the option of the magnum, if she should ever decide to go that route. Nothing wrong at all, if she prefers .38 special.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gentlemen for all your input. I will continue to try and steer her in this direction. .38 rounds at the range and .357 for the concealed ammo.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
You might want to show her this photo to help sway her in that direction. (Griiiiin)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
...She really handled my .45 like a champ and I would love her to have a revolver rather than a semi.
My tried .357 out of my GP100 and absolutely hates it. She loves shooting the .45's though... to the point that I usually have to beg
to be allowed to have a turn on one of my own pistols!

·
Registered
29,949 Posts
. My wife is new to the shooting world and shot her first gun last weekend. She shot a .22, .38, 9mm and my .45. She shot the best from the .357 with .38 rounds. I am wondering if we should elect the 605 model and let her get comfortable with the .38 rounds, then when she is ready, move up to the big boy rounds. This would also be her CCW. Any thoughts?
Sounds like an excellent plan...congratulations...ENJOY! :icon_ lala:

·
Registered
239 Posts
I would absolutely recommend the 605 for her to carry. I love both of mine (SS and blue) and they are manageable and concealable. I'd also offer a suggestion. If she's comfortable and competent with the .38, I'd go with a 38+P and give her some extra horsepower without it becoming uncomfortable or uncontrollable like 357 might cause. I've seen that recommended by a number of experienced shooters (I think Mas Ayoob was one of the proponents) of keeping things under control and not using 357. Good luck!

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
lots of ladies carry 38s not a bad pistol and the ammos still solid

jhp

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Interesting question. I don't use my 605 for CC as it's too heavy for casual pocket carry. But it is a sweet gun to shoot with 38 spls. Now, for a lady, who's probably going to purse carry, where weight is not an issue, it might be just the thing. With 38 spls, the extra weight limits the recoil.

My wife does NOT like to shoot my 851 (15 ounces), but can and does fire the 605 with 38s. It's a full half-pound heavier and that soaks up the recoil better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts