Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

This is a 3 part post but I'll try to make it short. First of all, I've been a member here since 2007 but I've posted very little over the years. I just like reading what everybody has to say and learning about different firearms. I shot my first gun when I was 5 years old and am now 59 and still shooting.

I own several guns but the only Taurus I have is a 20 year old 85CH. About 5 years ago I had a problem with the spring on the ejector rod. I don't remember what I did but somehow I messed it up pretty good. I had a dealer send it to Taurus for repair. It took about 3 months but it came back good as new. The gun was 15 years old but because of the lifetime warrenty there was no charge for the repair even though it might have been my fault it broke in the first place. As far as I'm concerned, Taurus service is A OK.

And now the 3rd part. A couple of years ago I had a Ruger GP100. A great robust gun that made shooting full house magnums feel like .38's. It had a very nice single action trigger but the DA trigger was horrid. About half way through the stroke the action would "catch" on something and I would have to jerk the trigger to get past that point and then it would smooth out just before the hammer dropped. I should have sent it back to Ruger but a friend wanted the gun and he didn't care about the trigger pull so I traded for his S&W 66.

I'm sure this has been asked before but what model of Taurus .357 comes closest to matching the GP100 for strength and durability for handling a steady diet of magnum loads?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Good to have Ya here.

As for your question I have no good answer as I have no knowledge of the Ruger product.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Yeah the GP100 is built like a tank. I have a friend who has a 6" version and it can handle the hottest loads with ease. As far a a Taurus that might be what you are looking for, checked out the 65/66, or the 608....

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I feel like the Taurus 66 is right in between the S&W 66 and the Ruger GP100. They make a large frame Taurus 608 that would be pretty similar to what the S&W 27/28 is for size. I would always think more steel would always outlast anything else for a steady diet of real magnum ammo. But the latest Taurus 66 is a seven shot gun a little similar in size to a S&W 686. I would still think the large frame would hold up best though.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I don't think Taurus produces a service sized revolver that comes close to the strength of the Ruger GP100 in .357 Magnum --- lack of a removable sideplate is a distinct advantage in my book for the Ruger design.

When you get bigger in the Taurus line --(M608, Raging Bull)-- you can start to compare.

S&W L-frames would be the only ones that could hold a candle to the GP100 as far as durability --- within the same size range, of course. Even then, the Ruger will outlast an S&W L-frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts