Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

anyone have a good "compromise" .357 round for a 2" barrel which has some middle ground between good power and recoil?

mike

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
This is something that I'm going to be looking into over the winter. I would rather be able to use full power ammo but that will slow my follow up shots a bit in my M650 so I'm looking at something more than a 38 +P and less than full bore 357. In my 4" M65 I'll still be using full power ammo, probably.

Here's the loads that I'm looking at finding for testing (in no particular order):
Winchester 110 gr JHP
Corbon DPX 125 gr JHP
Remingtion 125 gr Golden Saber JHP
Speer Gold Dot 135 gr JHP
the Buffalo Bore load NYPD mentioned above that I didn't know about
I'm not sure what else at this time.

The Win 110 gr is my default load and what's loaded in the gun right now but since the ammo we use is one of the few things we can control I'm going to see if I like one of the others better. Right now I'm leaning towards using either the DPX or the 135 gr Gold Dot with the Win. as a alternate load if I'm out of the others (I use WWB 115 gr JHP in 9mm as an alternate carry load for when/if I'm out of my Corbon 115 gr).

Steelheart

edited to correct a very wrong bullet weight that I just noticed

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am using Speer GD Short Barrel ammo in my 605 SSCH accuracy is good and recoil while stout is very manageable, plus the Gold Dot bullett has proven itself over the years to be a top choice of Leo's ETC with many documented stops. While I prefer the Federal HST in my auto's these days the short barrel Speer's are a excellent choice for small light revo's

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
frostyeyes said:
While I prefer the Federal HST in my auto's these days the short barrel Speer's are a excellent choice for small light revo's
Gotta love those HST's. I use them in my .40 24/7 and my XD-45 ACP. There's actually a better load that Federal puts out for LE. It's the Tactical Bonded. This one is mainly used by LEO's to prevent jacket/core separation through barriers.
Winchester Ranger also has bonded ammo along with the Speer Gold Dots which are bonded as well.

·
Registered
111 Posts
While not many people know it all of the Gold Dot line is bonded ammo these days, and YES the HST is one hell of a round expands to a large ugly star and penetrates deeply kinda like the DPX

·
Registered
846 Posts
Those speer gold dots are good!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Steelheart might remember my thread in here on a similar topic a couple of months ago.

I carry a 3" 605SS and have been experimenting with premium ammo. A few observations:

The short barrel HSTs recoil pretty much as hard as the full power HSTs.

I like the Speer Gold Dots (short barrel). I've stocked up.

Corbon DPX shoots like the GDs and the ballistic stats make this round sound like an even better choice. Plenty of speed and energy for a 130 gr round. However, it's also the most expensive.

IMHO, if you can handle the high power stuff in your snubbie (I can't), use it. Otherwise, find a short barrel/low recoil round that you can shoot with confidence and accuracy. A powerful round isn't much help if it takes 5 seconds to land a double tap.

·
Registered
532 Posts
The best thing I've done for my 605 is to replace the stock grips with Hogue Monogrips. Now it is manageable with .357s. I am currently experimenting with various brands, as I get out to shoot, but none, so far, are more accurate as the Gold Dot SB .38+Ps. So until I find the Holy Grail of .357s for my 605, it will be loaded with the GDs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a Taurus 605SH2 which is a titanium .357 magnum that only weighs 16 ounces.

http://www.taurususa.com/products/product-details.cfm?id=246&category=Revolver

It's very concealable for a revolver but light enough that ammo choice is important to avoid "punishing" recoil. I find the Federal 130 gr Hydra-Shok labeled "Personal Defense Low Recoil" to be absolutely the best in this light gun. The recoil is stout but tolerable. I have a bunch of Remington 125 gr JSP that are high velocity hunting loads that are not nearly as comfortable to shoot. I have also used the Federal 129 gr Hydra-Shok "Personal Defense Low Recoil" 38 special +P loads in this gun and they are total "cream puffs" in this gun from a recoil standpoint. If you want a very mildly recoiling round for your .357 snubbie with reasonable "stopping power"...this is it! For maximum power though...I stick with the 130 gr .357 Federal Hydra-Shoks. That's what I keep it loaded with.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts