Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was over to the tractor repair place in Boerne and after dropping off my JD for some minor work I stopped at a ranch store just south of town off IH10 and they had a nice selection of weapons (if a bit over priced). They had one rifle that was at least 6 inches longer than any of the others (including the big 308s) called a Howa 338 Lapua. It had a heavy barrel and must have weighed 20 lbs. I suppose it is for killing zombie elephants or something... about $3500 plus tax out the door. WHY? What the heck would you do with a gun that powerful? How the heck would you lug it out into the field?

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
It's an ultra long range rifle. Primarily used for Police and Military. Secondarily for long range target and hunting. Fast, flat round. Not cheap.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Yeah, I am wanting a Sako TRG 42 in 338 Lapua. No reason, just do. If you think the gun is expensive, the ammo is just as bad. Can be about $5-$8 per round for good ammo.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
That's a comp gun, get a .270 and hold your breath and shoot bugs just the same but shorter ranges.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Was over to the tractor repair place in Boerne and after dropping off my JD for some minor work I stopped at a ranch store just south of town off IH10 and they had a nice selection of weapons (if a bit over priced). They had one rifle that was at least 6 inches longer than any of the others (including the big 308s) called a Howa 338 Lapua. It had a heavy barrel and must have weighed 20 lbs. I suppose it is for killing zombie elephants or something... about $3500 plus tax out the door. WHY? What the heck would you do with a gun that powerful? How the heck would you lug it out into the field?
Ya kin haul it around in a scabbard on your John Deere and use it on them saber tooth prairie dogs....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The JD is a LA120 lawn tractor and I am not sure how well it would do as an off-road hunting platform. Maybe need to talk the missus into letting me buy a Gator and then the big gun....

·
Registered
19 Posts
The JD is a LA120 lawn tractor and I am not sure how well it would do as an off-road hunting platform. Maybe need to talk the missus into letting me buy a Gator and then the big gun....
-mounted on a pedestal in the cargo box? Kinda like the idea of that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts