Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like a bolt action in this caliber but web searches only show the Henry brand available in this caliber. Anybody know of one?

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
I have not heard of any factory making a .327 bolt action rifle. You would have to have a gunsmith custom make one for you.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
It wouldn’t be a huge task to get a custom made, but yes Henry is the only factory repeater I have seen or heard of. There were rumors about some of the singles, but I have not seen anything that makes me believe that they exist. I would put one on a contender since I already own the frame.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I thought that a H&R Handi-Rifle or TC Contender might be option but there aren't any .327 Federal Magnum versions of these around.

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
It is a rimmed cartridge, so yes, I could see it being a bit of a challenge to custom build a bolt gun in the caliber. I owned a Savage 340 in .30-30 which is a rimmed case. It had a bit of a weird bolt head/extractor. Maybe one could be more easily built from an old Enfield. .303 Brit was a rimmed cartridge. There have been bolt guns available in .22 Hornet, I believe, so a rimmed case isn't impossible, but I wouldn't call it an "easy" project.

Of course, you could develop your own wildcat that would duplicate .327 ballistics from a more appropriate rifle case, maybe a .223 case or something. I'm not sure WHY, but then it ain't my project. :rofl:

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
It is a rimmed cartridge, so yes, I could see it being a bit of a challenge to custom build a bolt gun in the caliber. I owned a Savage 340 in .30-30 which is a rimmed case. It had a bit of a weird bolt head/extractor. Maybe one could be more easily built from an old Enfield. .303 Brit was a rimmed cartridge. There have been bolt guns available in .22 Hornet, I believe, so a rimmed case isn't impossible, but I wouldn't call it an "easy" project.

Of course, you could develop your own wildcat that would duplicate .327 ballistics from a more appropriate rifle case, maybe a .223 case or something. I'm not sure WHY, but then it ain't my project. :rofl:
wildcatting off of a .223 Rem would give you a slower, oversized 300 AAC. I would wildcat it off of a .308 where it's just boring out the barrel to .327 and tweaking the chamber. Put that on a Howa or Rem 700 action and you could have a very nice rifle.

·
Super Moderator
35,371 Posts
wildcatting off of a .223 Rem would give you a slower, oversized 300 AAC. I would wildcat it off of a .308 where it's just boring out the barrel to .327 and tweaking the chamber. Put that on a Howa or Rem 700 action and you could have a very nice rifle.
Hmm, .312" pistol bullet? The .32 shoots a .312" bullet. I guess you could shoot the .311 bullets from the 7.62x39, but heck, why not just get a 7.62x39 and load it how ya want? :D The x39 is very accurate in a bolt gun with rifle bullets, might not shoot those pistol bullets as well, but maybe at downloaded velocities. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went away from this site for some time but now in 2019 I'm still interested in a rifle that would go with the Ruger LCR I have. The membership has presented some interesting routes to take so I need to talk to a smith to get some concrete figures and advise.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
The rim for 32 H&R /327 cartridges is basically same as .223 case head. A bolt face for .223 can be made to work. Mag feed is a different subject. Single shot is very doable. The .311 barrel blanks work fine. Several custom revolver Smith's use .308 blanks and they work fine. I have a Reeder 321 custom revolver, 357 mag case necked to .32 caliber. He uses .308 barrels and they work great. I have used Green Mountain .311 barrel blanks for years for .32 barrels. Your project as a bolt action only has one problem and that is mag to feed. Should be a way to work that out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts