Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
That round that I see in the Federal case looks exactly like a Gold Dot.

It is a Gold Dot----just checked the link.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Those loads look interesting. Have to do some digging on this. I hope that it works out as I think there's a market for either small frame 6 shot guns with more power than a 32 mag. But there's also a market to make a smaller framed 5 shot in this 327 magnum caliber, preferably with a concealed hammer.

Those load specs remind me of some of the hot 9mm loads (bullet weight and velocity). I don't know if I'm interested in that HS load but the GD should rock!

Hope they released the specs to other gun makers so that they can be working on their own guns. It would increase the odds of it taking off.

Oh, thats a real big pic there....

Steelheart

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunition/st327_110707/

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/video/GATV_Federal327/

Top link is an article from Shooting Times and the lower is a video on the .327 Fed Mag. Some unbelievable performance in these "baby magnums".

Plus side: 1. 6 rounds instead of 5 in the same frame size.
2. 20% less recoil than the .357 but only a 5-10% reduction in muzzle energy from a 3-inch barrel
3. Can chamber 4 different rounds(.327 Mag, 32 H&R Mag, 32 Special, and 32 S&W)
4. Amazing penetration and expansion.

As you can tell I'm quite excited. ;D :) :yipee: :clap: :thumb: Way to go Federal and Ruger for making this happen.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steelheart,

Yep, I thought so too in regards to the pics size so swapped it for the smaller one. Easier for the dial-up crowd. :)

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
It will be interesting to see who they market these to. The .32 HR mag came out because women complained of the recoil of the .38 special, and most .32's were marketed towards women. To be honest I've never been a fan of the .32 caliber as a whole, it has a bad reputation of failing to put down people in the right amount of time. That said I think this type of load is heading in the right direction to correct the problem.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like they reinvented the 7.63x25mm Mauser/7.62x25mm Tokarev. Is that really what we need these days?

I think if you move back into the .38 Special +P/.357 Magnum power levels, you're going to increase recoil back to the level that some women didn't want to shoot in the first place. The .32 Magnum moved the .32 back into the .38 Special range because some folks didn't like the recoil of a .38. Now they're making the .32 recoil MORE than a similar-sized .38.

I noticed they chambered the round in 3 inch Ruger SP101, a pretty stout steel revolver. A 2 inch Taurus Model 85SSUL recoils plenty with .38 SPL +P, and the little S&W Scandium .357 Magnums are horrible in that regard. What makes anyone think a person going for light weight that doesn't like recoil will be happier with a .327 Magnum?

One more thing: If ONE round made that much difference, I'd carry nothing but 7 shooters.

Just my opinion,

ECS

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I was just quoting the article from Shooting Times. It stated any firearm chambered for the new .327 Magnum will also accept 32 H&R Mag, 32 Special, and 32 S&W. Quite possible that the 32 Special will be to the .327 Mag as the 44 Special is to the 44 Mag. In other words, it is probably not the rifle round you are referring to which is actually the 32 Winchester special.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The round in question is the .32 S&W Long, not the .32 Winchester Special. The .32 S&W came first, then the .32 S&W Long which was just about twice as long as the original. The .32 H&R Magnum came about to increase .32 power up to .38 Special levels with less recoil by increasing the .32 S&W Long by 1/8 inch. Now the .327 Federal Magnum increases the case length by 1/8 inch. I'm underwhelmed.

ECS

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wonder if the future holds a 7-round GP100?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Ruger could probably do that in 357. A GP-100 is about the same size as a Tracker or an L frame Smith both of which are 7 shot guns now.

Steelheart

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good point about the Smiths. Ruger tends to go beefier though, I think.

Maybe someone could put eight rounds of .327 in that size frame?

Just another fantasy of mine, like the GLOCK carbine.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
One good thing about Ruger they don't skimp on material. A lot of the reloading manuals will do their tests in ruger revolvers because they can take the abuse.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
You beat me to it!

The recoil in his video appears much less than whats in the other video link.

Steelheart

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ruger SP101 .327 Federal Magnum

Any comments on this new cartridge? Supposed to have the same power as the .357 Magnum with less recoil. It looks neat, coming in the SP101 to start out.

May be something I look into when its time for a revolver.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Topic merged.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts