Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well we need another caliber war thread.

Saw this on Taurus FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=956654414345205

"The .327 offers more 'real-world' energy than the .357 Mag., (at least in my test), better penetration and one more shot per gun load. It does all this with substantially less recoil and noticeably less muzzle blast than the .357 Mag."

Bryce Towsley, Field Editor American Rifleman Magazine

Discuss.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'd rather carry 327 over 357 because the recoil is more manageable and follow up shots are quicker. The extra round is also nice. That said, I often load my 327 with 32h&r mags for all the reasons already stated.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Of course the qualifier should have been when shooting 357 out of a 2 inch barrel. Sure a 4 inch 357 will have better ballistics than 327.

I like mine, I currently have it loaded with 32 H&R mags from Federal.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"More real world energy than a 357" is pretty much questionable. Gotta wonder what kind of 357 he was using. Everything else is absolutely true though. I have a M327 carry gun and absolutely love it. Picked the 327 for the wife who is very recoil sensitive. Loaded with H&Rs it kicks a little less than a 38 but still has more energy. Got several boxes of Speer 100 grain Gold Dots at Academy recently for $14. Looked it up and the produce 500 ft-lbs at a 3 inch muzzle. Guess they must be closing out 327. Don't matter much though since I reload them.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
I have to question the "noticeably less muzzle blast" I have both and they both feel like an M80 is going off a few feet in front of your face.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I dunno bout the 327 fed mag, but one of these days Im gonna get my 32 H&R mag 4" back (to stay), and I would like to compare it to my 357 loaded w/ 38 spl.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I have to question the "noticeably less muzzle blast" I have both and they both feel like an M80 is going off a few feet in front of your face.
I don't know what an M80 feels like going off in front of your face, but I can say that I always feel the concussive force of a 327 fed mag in my back teeth.

Reactions: jimb1972

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have both as well, but with a little twist that skews the perceived recoil in my case.
I have the .327fed/mag in the J-frame 2" barrel 6-shot in stainless steel. It's a soft shooter.
I also have the identical J-frame with a 2" barrel, but this one is a total titanium 5-shot .357mag.

There is a LOT of difference in the weight of these two otherwise identical firearms.
If you glanced at them sitting side by side on a table you would likely think they were a matched pair.
The difference is QUITE obvious when you're talking about full-load .357mag.

Reactions: TheOldRedneck

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
.327 Federal is a cool caliber for sure but it comes in behind .357 in terms of versatility and power when fired from larger guns with 4" or longer barrels. I don't carry revolvers everyday though, I carry autos, leaving the revolvers for field duty which usually means a .44 for me. Out of a snubby it might make more sense. I haven't looked at .327 ballistics from 2" barrels but I have heard that it suffers less than .357 does. .357 sucks in a snubby, out of a 2" barrel it is no longer magnum.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does Taurus still make the a revolver in .327 Fed Mag? Cannot find it listed on their website nor in the catalog.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
What about the .45 GAP no Caliber war is complete without discussion that important round.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Does Taurus still make the a revolver in .327 Fed Mag? Cannot find it listed on their website nor in the catalog.
Unfortunately no, Taurus no longer makes the M327.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
I don't own a 327 but I honestly feel that its one of the better pistol cartridges to hit the market in modern times, depending on barrel length they are either very nice lady, old folks guns or very accurate paper bad guy punchers with plenty of power, being a reloader I can see them as very good choices for me.
for the non relodder the ability to use 32 H&R ,32 Long, 32 S & W, A cartridge can be picked out that even your granmama can use.

·
Registered
36,085 Posts
What about the .45 GAP no Caliber war is complete without discussion that important round.
Certainly!
the cartridge is so popular around here that you can't even find it in stock at the gun stores!
they just need to come out with a GAP 22LR now.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
.327 Federal is a cool caliber for sure but it comes in behind .357 in terms of versatility and power when fired from larger guns with 4" or longer barrels. I don't carry revolvers everyday though, I carry autos, leaving the revolvers for field duty which usually means a .44 for me. Out of a snubby it might make more sense. I haven't looked at .327 ballistics from 2" barrels but I have heard that it suffers less than .357 does. .357 sucks in a snubby, out of a 2" barrel it is no longer magnum.
That's a rather significant exaggeration; Critical Defense 125 grainers out of a 2" snubby are still humming along at 1200 fps, and at 100 yards they're still topping 1000 fps.. Hornady thinks .327 magnum ammo is so important they don't even make a cartridge.

Cor-bon 125 grainers are doing 1300 fps out of a 2" snubby. The same weight bullet in their .38 Special +P out of a 2" snubby is clocking 950 fps.

And when I go hiking and take my 617 with me, it's loaded with HSM cartridges that pack 180 grain hard cast bullets, and clock 1325-1375 fps. out of a 2" snubby.

If those aren't magnum numbers I need to amend my firearm dictionary.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts