Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reloading. There is so much you can do experimenting with all kinds of projectiles. One of the first things I experimented with was loading multiple buck shot into a 38 special Speer shot capsule. I recently tried those out by firing them into a wooden pine 2 X 4 plank. I had shot several times at the indoor range but always wondered how much penitration they would have. Well I was very impressed with the accuracy and penitration they had. At about 25 feet the buck shot went half way into the 2 X 4. I think they would make a pretty good impression on an intruder!
My latest experiment was with some sabots with 22 caliber boolits inside. I have these loaded into 32 S&W Longs. I am posting pics to show what they look like.The 5 in the back are with flex tips and the two in front are hollow points. I haven't fired them yet but will give a range report as soon as I can.
I hope you like the pics!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
Let us know how they work. I still need to work on my regular .32 S&W L load before I start experimenting.

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
100 gr LRNFP with Unique powder. I think I started way to light, I will have to check my notes later, I think I started at 2.0 and loaded 3 each of 2.0, 2.1, 2.2. I had powder scorching down more then half the outside of the case indicating not enough pressure to expand the brass. I also had a lot of what looked like un-burnt powder residue in the cases and chambers. This was with all 3 powder charges. I still have a few hundred factory rounds from the early 90’s that I am shooting up for the brass so I really have not dedicated enough time to reloading them yet. Load data seems hard to come by for my combination of bullet and powder. I need to try and find some older reloading manuals that may provide the data I am looking for.

I also plan on getting a chronograph to analysis data in working up my load.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
100 gr LRNFP with Unique powder. I think I started way to light, I will have to check my notes later, I think I started at 2.0 and loaded 3 each of 2.0, 2.1, 2.2. I had powder scorching down more then half the outside of the case indicating not enough pressure to expand the brass. I also had a lot of what looked like un-burnt powder residue in the cases and chambers. This was with all 3 powder charges. I still have a few hundred factory rounds from the early 90’s that I am shooting up for the brass so I really have not dedicated enough time to reloading them yet. Load data seems hard to come by for my combination of bullet and powder. I need to try and find some older reloading manuals that may provide the data I am looking for.

I also plan on getting a chronograph to analysis data in working up my load.

I use 1.9 gr. Bullseye with 95 gr LRN. Works real well for me. I use the Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.
I appreciate the info on scorched casings. I have been getting scorched cases with my PT 745. I had some loaded with 3.0 gr of Bullseye and 230 gr LRN. I normally use 4.5 to 5.0 gr.
These 32s are a load of FUNNNNN.

·
Super Moderator
40,640 Posts
I use 1.9 gr. Bullseye with 95 gr LRN. Works real well for me. I use the Modern Reloading by Richard Lee.
I appreciate the info on scorched casings. I have been getting scorched cases with my PT 745. I had some loaded with 3.0 gr of Bullseye and 230 gr LRN. I normally use 4.5 to 5.0 gr.
These 32s are a load of FUNNNNN.

.32's are fun to shoot. Someday soon I will take the time to work up a proper load. I also loaded some up with Bullseye when I first started; I decided it was not a bulky enough powder to easily see for me in the case on my turret press. Taking the cases off the press to verify the powder charge was a pain to me. Now that I am starting to load .357 I may switch out Unique with 2400. I way be limiting myself, but I am trying to keep my pistol powder down to 2, Bullseye and Unique or Bullseye and 2400. If I can work up accurate loads then I will stick with this plan.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Limiting the number of different powders you use is a good plan that sounds good when you say it. It is also a logical move. I use some powders a lot for several different rounds and loads. Titegroup is a good example of a powder I use a lot for a lot of different rounds and loads. It is a powder many love to hate for different reasons. One being that small charges in large cases take up very little room. For these people Trail Boss is your dream come true. It has bulk and fills cases, it also works well in a wide range of handgun and rifle rounds for cowboy shooters. Because I load on single stage presses and do a visual check on each block of cases after charging and before loading bullets Titegroup is fine. The extreme spread on velocity runs low over a wide range of calibers and case sizes. It also has worked out that the same amout of powder,grain weight works in multiple rounds and calibers. It is easy for me to extrapolate loads for wildcats with no load data from load data given for other rounds. Many like Trail Boss for the same reasons when working reduced loads. Now after saying all that there are probably well in excess of a couple dozen different powders that I load with. Because some guns and rounds are like women and you do or load what they want. As to the sabots they can be fun and because the bullet never touches the barrel soft lead bullets can be used in them. Several years back they were played with a lot and the muzzle loading crowd still shoot them. For calibers you couldn't buy sabots for it was not hard to use a mini lathe and nylon/plastic rods to fabricate your own. Some also made nylon/plastic bullets to play with. Nasty creations at close range with healthy loads of fast powder. A 44 mag with one of these in teflon does ugly things. When made into a sabot depending on what is loaded in it the revolver can either be a kitty cat or ugly monster. Short barrels usually keyhole within 25 yards and groups are patterns. Still fun to play with.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recently I found a semi flexible plastic tubing that fits perfectly in the 32 long case. My next project is to put a buckshot ball in it. I'm sure it will be a real hole puncher. I make sure to weigh the projectile first so I can get the correct load.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
where did you find the sabots in the pictures?

i'm also a big fan of Titegroup.

Just some I got from a friend a while back.
I started using the #1 buck in my 38 special. Then Speer shot capsules. It's just a natural progression for me.
I like experimenting with new stuff.
There are several places you can get sabots depending on what you want to do. Listed below is a page I googled.
"Remington Accelerators" Don't know if they're still available.
I understand Thompson Center Arms sold them through Midway at one time.
I think they first came out for use with muzzle loaders.

·
Registered
160 Posts
It would be very interesting to see your velocities with those sabots. Kind of made me think of the Remington Accelerators too. I think I still have a box of 308.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts