Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about my .308 build I plan on doing in the future, what length barrel would you use and why? Ultimate goal will be long distance accuracy, so I am thinking at a minimum 18".

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Would depend on several things for me. Long range out to 1000 yards I would want to run the longer bullets with the higher BC. Would want a barrel long enough to run a slower burning powder, at least 24".Fast enough twist to stabilize the longer bullets. The type action will play a huge part AR or bolt. With the AR over all load length is limited to mag. Where long action bolts are not. For the AR's you can build very accurate rifles within the design limits. I'm not knocking them, it is not just an apple to apple type build. You have many factory AR's that shoot with bolt guns. I owned a Stag arms match rifle that would. For those builds I would talk to the guys that have a proven track record..

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I'd go 20". Any longer and my eyes just can't get over how unbalanced they look. But that's just cosmetics for my opinion. You may want to go longer for accuracy I really don't know the ballistics.

Also is an AR10 build pretty much the same as an AR15 build? Do they go together the same way?

·
Super Moderator
40,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go 20". Any longer and my eyes just can't get over how unbalanced they look. But that's just cosmetics for my opinion. You may want to go longer for accuracy I really don't know the ballistics.

Also is an AR10 build pretty much the same as an AR15 build? Do they go together the same way?
I plane on building the AR-10, already have a stripped upper and stripped lower. Build will not before a while, give me plenty of time to do research. Loving in S. FL. I doubt I will have much opportunity to push it farther then 300-500 yards. Based on the cost of optics for that distance, it will be a long while for that.

AR10 and AR15 builds are pretty much the same. AR10 has two primary options Armalite style and DPMS style. DPMS style has more parts options available. I don't knoe the exact differences, just from research know there are differences.

I have been reading on the .308 and like everything there is a lot of opinions and many make sense. Now if they are true, that is another story.

Reactions: Magnum_Gauge

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I'd love to build one but I could only afford to shoot it like once a year lol. Thats a big reason I went with 7.62x39 for my AR15.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts