Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 303 british and I don't know what model it is. Im just curious if any of you guys know which one it is. I want to install a scope so I need to know what model it is. Thanks

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's an Enfield and It looks like a Number 3, Mark 1 or 2 that's been heavily sporterized. If you have never fired it yourself, be sure and have a competent gunsmith check the headspace as it can be a problem with the surplus Enfields. If you have fired it, check your fired cartridges to make sure they aren't being overly stretched as case separations can be a bit nasty in the .303.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've shot it alot and can do decent groups at 100yds with open sights. I want to get tighter groups on the 200yd range. So far the headspacing seems good. I will be reloading soon since ammo costs so much if you don't want surplus stuff.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I also like the 303. I have an all original Pattern 14 by Eddystone. I had to have the barrel reset and headspaced because it was out farther than I could compensate for by judicious case sizing. I really enjoy shooting the old girl, dates to 1915. She may be old but she still struts her stuff!!

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
.303 shoots a .312 bullet, if I remember, and they may be a little hard to find.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've shot it alot and can do decent groups at 100yds with open sights. I want to get tighter groups on the 200yd range. So far the headspacing seems good. I will be reloading soon since ammo costs so much if you don't want surplus stuff.
For reloading you'll need either .311 or .312 diameter bullets. They are a little pricey, but the Sierra 174 grain Match Kings shot really well in mine when I still had it. Graf's & Sons ( Graf & Sons - The Reloading Authority - Your Source for Shooting Supplies ) often has PRVI Partizan new, unfired brass available and it turns out that Hornady made some .312 diameter 174 grain boat tail bullets very similar to the Sierra Match Kings that worked almost as well as the .311's. Hornady also makes a very good hunting bullet, their number 3120 which is a 150 grain, .312 diameter spire point flat base bullet that was quite accurate at 100 yards. The 174 grainers should work better for the 200 yard & beyond shooting though. Watch your cases when you start reloading - if you start getting a real bright, smooth band near the rim, they are getting stretched and you should watch very closely for cracks in this area. If you want your brass to last a lot longer for reloading, you should get a good neck size only resizing die and after the first firing, neck size only after that. Cases will then last for a few more reloadings than if you full length resized them every time.

If you do buy surplus ammo, try to stay away from the POF headstamp (Pakistani) as it tends to hang-fire and may go off up to a minute after the primer strike. There was some Arabic marked stuff out there too, that turned out to be WW1 stuff loaded with Cordite propellant that was really high pressure stuff designed for the Vickers and Hotchkiss machine guns. A friend of mine shot a couple of them and fractured the locking lugs on his bolt with it.

He gave the leftover ammo to me, I disassembled it and use it to show what Cordite looks like in my reloading classes.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i have a mk 3 , its a survivor rifle, dont look to good but shoots strraight, i foun d ammo at cabelas in phx, privi partizan on box

·
Registered
7,293 Posts
I have a 303 and i treasure it ! I can still get ammo at Academy Sports for it . Mine is dated 1918 . I stripped it down back in the 80s' and revarnished it but it's turning back a little dark now . It shoots great but i haven't shot it in a long time but what i remember is how it kicks no more than my Winchester model 94 - 30-30 . Not sure if it had been modified but i feel like it has . The stock doesn't go to the end of the barrel like most old ones i have seen but it's definitely not shaped like the OPs' image . Also mine still has the brass plate at the butt .

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to check the bore size and cast my own to match the bore. I'm going to reload for Star 9mm largo first than tackle the rifle cartridges this spring. Its great to have a friendthat wants to teach you how and has been reloading for many years.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'm going to check the bore size and cast my own to match the bore. I'm going to reload for Star 9mm largo first than tackle the rifle cartridges this spring. Its great to have a friendthat wants to teach you how and has been reloading for many years.
When you get up to speed on reloading for that .303, PM me and I'll pass along a few tips I learned when I had mine. I think I still have the notebook I kept when I was working on finding a really accurate recipe. I managed to get one going for the Number 4, MK1 that I used to have. It would do 1" groups at 100 yards if I managed to do my part. Very accurate rifles, those Enfields.

They tend to like the heavier bullets when you cast them. I have a Lee mold somewhere around here that will cast 185 grain .312 diameter pointy nosed bullets. Takes .30 caliber gas checks. When you get that far, let me know and I'll let you have it on the cheap (probably just for postage.) That is, assuming I can find it amongst all the other stuff in my casting room.

Reactions: bergoff

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jim that would be awesome. My friends casting odd ball stuff is buried in his shed. Need to wait for the snow to melt so we can get it unloaded. Lol

·
Registered
351 Posts
Jim that would be awesome. My friends casting odd ball stuff is buried in his shed. Need to wait for the snow to melt so we can get it unloaded. Lol
I have only one caution regarding getting started in casting.

Worse then smelling it when shooting on the range, lead smoke caused by casting your own bullets RAPIDLY becomes addictive! (I even got into making my own gas checks).

Reactions: bergoff
1 - 13 of 13 Posts